Sorry if this had been done to death previously, but noticing a lot of L**ds fans adopting 'All Leeds Aren't We' since they've gone up.

Got me wondering whether we came up with this originally, or nicked it off someone else?

This sent me down a rabbit hole and I ended up on some blades forum, where they were talking about the origin of the 'pigs' term. There it's claimed that this originated as an insult to Jack Charlton, who just happened to manage us at the time (don't know why they called him 'piggy Jack Charlton').

Is this right or does the term pre date Jack's reign?

Not sure where WAWAW came from but it's certainly fairly recent, nobody ever said it in the 80s or 90s. It's a bit cringey tbh

The pigs debate has been done to death but never definitively answered. But only one side of the city resorted to circulating (so often that they came to believe it to be true) completely made up and error-strewn "historical library documents" and Photoshopped old ordnance survey maps to try and prove their side of the argument. And it wasn't us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Wawaw was knicked from us. Leeds in unoriginal shock. 

Pigs not sure, but guess it pre dates Charlton by a fair bit 

My grandad was a Blade, rest of family Owls. He told me that Owls supporters refused to eat bacon on Sunday morning if Owls had lost and Blades hadn't. The only link with this folk tale is the red/white of a bacon rasher and the resemblance to a Blade shirt.

Grandad was born in 1887 and told me the tale in the early 1960s, never had any reason to doubt his version!

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, The Wall said:

Sorry if this had been done to death previously, but noticing a lot of L**ds fans adopting 'All Leeds Aren't We' since they've gone up.

Got me wondering whether we came up with this originally, or nicked it off someone else?

This sent me down a rabbit hole and I ended up on some blades forum, where they were talking about the origin of the 'pigs' term. There it's claimed that this originated as an insult to Jack Charlton, who just happened to manage us at the time (don't know why they called him 'piggy Jack Charlton').

Is this right or does the term pre date Jack's reign?

We were calling them pigs long before Jack Charlton came.  I think this goes way back.  My grandad said he wouldn’t eat bacon because it was red and white stripes, but I’ve heard other explanation that date before even this. 

I thought WAWAW was from that brilliant agent Wilson cartoon. I’m sure someone’s said this already. I have read all the replies. 

2 minutes ago, Gildowl said:

My grandad was a Blade, rest of family Owls. He told me that Owls supporters refused to eat bacon on Sunday morning if Owls had lost and Blades hadn't. The only link with this folk tale is the red/white of a bacon rasher and the resemblance to a Blade shirt.

Grandad was born in 1887 and told me the tale in the early 1960s, never had any reason to doubt his version!

I heard a similar thing in the early 90s from a blade who used to play cricket with my dad. He must have been in his 60s at the time and he reckoned it was to do with their kits looking like 'streaky bacon'

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gildowl said:

100% correct 

• Like 2

Wasn’t there a newspaper or program copied on here from the sixties re the pigs bit? Not sure about wawaw though that’s a very recent addition to history. But it certainly predated any Leeds use of it. 

My mate who's a Blade is convinced we nicked WAWAW from them. He  claims they used to chant it when Colin was their manager, but instead of "Wednesday" they'd say Colin's surname

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

WAWAW comes from here doesn't it? 

2 people on here arguing, then get told to calm down because WAWAW

Was meant as a joke originally

No. 

Heard it loads of times at away games before owlstalk.

On train journeys back and some drunken fool or other would slur the words, "lads, calm down. We're all Wednesday aren't we" 

Only recently been made into the song and then nicked by them scrubbers

• Like 1

Even more pointless given Leeds have their own bloody motto with the MOT guff. 

And of course with them on sky every 3 days next season it'll be written into all football history (for the premier league is the one true football history) that ALAW chant was always theres and we must have stole it because Armchair Dave never heard it before a PL match at the Etihad. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Not sure where WAWAW came from but it's certainly fairly recent, nobody ever said it in the 80s or 90s. It's a bit cringey tbh

The pigs debate has been done to death but never definitively answered. But only one side of the city resorted to circulating (so often that they came to believe it to be true) completely made up and error-strewn "historical library documents" and Photoshopped old ordnance survey maps to try and prove their side of the argument. And it wasn't us. 

I am sure WAWAW is less than 10 years old.

I cant remember anyone using it when Sturrock / Laws was manager.

3 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I am sure WAWAW is less than 10 years old.

I cant remember anyone using it when Sturrock / Laws was manager.

Not used in a song that long but the phrase has been around years, see LanzaroteOwls post above. Was used by hoolie types when entering pubs and also if any owl in owl squabbles broke out.