Bring Back The Referee

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Fans are actually waiting for a goal to be confirmed before celebrating how ridiculous is that?

Still...

It saves the embarrassment of going batshit crazy and jumping around, hugging each other for a couple of minutes like lunatics only to turn back to the pitch to see it's been ruled out whilst the opposition fans laugh at ya

lol

Owlstalk Shop

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Still...

It saves the embarrassment of going batshit crazy and jumping around, hugging each other for a couple of minutes like lunatics only to turn back to the pitch to see it's been ruled out whilst the opposition fans laugh at ya

lol

Always remember something I read about the Brazilian commentators when a goal goes in and you hear gggoooooooaaaaalllll, goal goal goal.

It was a tactic they used, because often they did not know which player had scored so it gave the commentator time for someone in their team to tell them.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, room0035 said:

Always remember something I read about the Brazilian commentators when a goal goes in and you hear gggoooooooaaaaalllll, goal goal goal.

It was a tactic they used, because often they did not know which player had scored so it gave the commentator time for someone in their team to tell them.  

ha ha really?

Makes  sense but didnt' know that!

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

I agree, referee is part of the game he makes the decisions, it's just part of football

I don't like VAR. Goal line technology I didn't mind, but they obviously need to do some more testing - having said that 1 in 7000 or whatever is a pretty low failure rate, so perhaps just has to be accepted

...or you could say what's point, just leave it to the ref

Edited by jomaco

40 minutes ago, Plonk said:

No but the fact that in 90 minutes Utd scored and villa didn’t means Utd should have won. As long as they still finish mid table, otherwise obviously it’s a draw. 

Absolute rubbish

At 1-0 down villa would have played differently to at 0-0....may have even got some momentum going and gone on to win 2-1

Plus.....Villa should have had a stonewall penalty not long after which they didnt get.

Start this and every club can start going through every game looking for compo.......Burnley should have had 2 stonewall penalties for example on Sunday.....didnt get either and lost 2-1

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Ian said:

Absolute rubbish

At 1-0 down villa would have played differently to at 0-0....may have even got some momentum going and gone on to win 2-1

Plus.....Villa should have had a stonewall penalty not long after which they didnt get.

Start this and every club can start going through every game looking for compo.......Burnley should have had 2 stonewall penalties for example on Sunday.....didnt get either and lost 2-1

I know what you are saying but this isn’t about human error or interpretation it’s about a company providing technology to get things right. That technology failed and the company accept their technology failed. A failure that has cost another business around £100 million. I hate all this Court room crap as much as anyone. But this is about a company failure. And if your company gets it wrong there is a price to pay. Maybe Hawkeye plc should be looking at an out of court settlement for their blatant failure?

If Bournemouth were to win this possible case, and they haven’t a cat in hells chance, then wouldn’t the Pigs claim an extra two points which would lead to a jump up the table and a greater payment for finishing higher up the table?

And Arsenal would lose a place?

And Watford could claim that had Villa started the last day a point lower, they (Watford) would have approached their final game at Arsenal differently. So they want compo too.

And then the players that have a pay cut if relegated will put in their claims.

This is a non starter. Even if it had been a last day scenario, it would be impossible to prove that the mistake led to the incorrect result and ultimately relegation.

On the other hand there have been goals given when it wasn't a goal the most famous probably was the Bayer Leverkusen " ghost goal "

This was some years ago but the referee was in a perfect spot to see and still got it wrong. Not sure if Hawkeye would register this as a goal as it still ended up

in the back of the net but went through the side door !

2 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Really hope they don't get through with this, it will set so many other things off.

Referee gets it wrong sometimes but over the years surely that's become part and parcel of football.

Dunno, if I am a dinosaur and all the young ones are shaking their head at me, but we had a system which worked. 

I'm 62, and shaking, but I do, do, that a lot.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Ain't trying to be funny but Sheffield United scored first on Sunday and lost 3-1, no guarantee they was going to go on and beat villa if that goal was allowed. 

Whats the betting if Bournemouth was to win, Tevez saga revisited.

2 hours ago, Plonk said:

No but the fact that in 90 minutes Utd scored and villa didn’t means Utd should have won. As long as they still finish mid table, otherwise obviously it’s a draw. 

There was a blatant push from Utd before the 'goal' so shouldn't have stood regardless.

Also, i am led to believe that if the ball is 'behind the line' but still touching the post it is technically not over the line but still 'on it'.

That's been my argument when the Pig's were whinging anyway & it shut the fuc*ers up, even if only for a minute.

😂

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

There was a blatant push from Utd before the 'goal' so shouldn't have stood regardless.

Also, i am led to believe that if the ball is 'behind the line' but still touching the post it is technically not over the line but still 'on it'.

That's been my argument when the Pig's were whinging anyway & it shut the fuc*ers up, even if only for a minute.

😂

Good point.

• Thanks 1

Hawkeye has been ok overall hasn’t it. This is the only big screw up I think? Situation was made worse by the fact VAR or the ref didn’t bother reviewing it. 

Keep Hawkeye and get rid of VAR...then perhaps use the money saved to train some better referees.

This is where the argument for using any kind of technology falls down.

It either solves a problem or it doesn’t.

If it isn’t going to be used to correct decisions like the goal against Villa but is to be stringently used to decide players that are offside by a cm then why bother with it  at all?

Edited by GMOwl72

VAR is not being put to use properly. Leave the decision to the ref. Go a look at the monitor ffs. We dont need to be rolling it backwards and forwards for 20 minutes to see if someones left ******** is offside but we do want someone to see the balls a yard over the line in under 3 seconds. 

Just now, Frazzlebeak said:

VAR is not being put to use properly. Leave the decision to the ref. Go a look at the monitor ffs. We dont need to be rolling it backwards and forwards for 20 minutes to see if someones left ******** is offside but we do want someone to see the balls a yard over the line in under 3 seconds. 

Which I'd put ballocks instead WTF:

I dint mind a legitimate mistake from a human but I hope they win and take the makers for every million lost by going down instead of villa . You can't take away the authority of a human and give it to a computer for that computer to not be perfect and for humans to blindly go along with what a computer says rather than what they see . I want the computers out of football . Its a game played by humans for the enjoyment of humans so for me computers can f##k off and have no place in what is essentially a game . Haven't really thought about it though . . . .