Bring Back The Referee

8 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Really hope they don't get through with this, it will set so many other things off.

Referee gets it wrong sometimes but over the years surely that's become part and parcel of football.

Dunno, if I am a dinosaur and all the young ones are shaking their head at me, but we had a system which worked. 

Albeit incorrectly at times.

• Like 2

It is amazing how many things are regularly seen as 'that's football under normal circumstances.

But as soon as it affects your end of season results it's time to get the lawyers involved.

How many potentially game changing mistakes are complained about but eventually accepted each season. Must be hundreds if not thousands.

Hawkeye messed up royally and should probably be fined. But that money shouldn't go to any individual club. Send it to grassroots football.

I'm no great fan of the increasing litigation which is creeping into football, but I can see why Bournemouth might want to pursue this.

Hawk-Eye was introduced in order to eliminate these kind of issues, but in this case it may have actually caused the issue: if the referee doesn't get an alert to say a goal's been scored, he simply can't give it, but without relying on Hawk-Eye, the ref and linesman may well have correctly given the goal which would have seen them stay up.

I had a quick search for some quotes around the time it was introduced, and there was no mention of error from Richard Scudamore:

"Football is fundamentally a simple game; whichever side scores most goals wins. So, when one is scored, or indeed not scored, and we have the ability through technology to definitively know whether the ball crossed the line we should absolutely use it."

Think this is now the promble though. Ref mistakes were human error. This is now a company paid to provide technology to overcome human error. It has failed costing another business around £100 million. It’s the difference between pilot error and a faulty Boeing 747. Well not obviously but you get my point?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Ain't trying to be funny but Sheffield United scored first on Sunday and lost 3-1, no guarantee they was going to go on and beat villa if that goal was allowed. 

No but the fact that in 90 minutes Utd scored and villa didn’t means Utd should have won. As long as they still finish mid table, otherwise obviously it’s a draw. 

the most stupid thing about this incident is that if the Ref had stopped being a robot and actually wen't over to the VAR screen he could have clearly seen it wen't over. 

Still to this day can't understand why he didn't. yes VAR can't be used for these type of incidents but just do it FFS

• Like 3

Just now, Plonk said:

No but the fact that in 90 minutes Utd scored and villa didn’t means Utd should have won. As long as they still finish mid table, otherwise obviously it’s a draw. 

The goal might have given villa a kick up the backside, we'll never know. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Really hope they don't get through with this, it will set so many other things off.

Referee gets it wrong sometimes but over the years surely that's become part and parcel of football.

Dunno, if I am a dinosaur and all the young ones are shaking their head at me, but we had a system which worked. 

Pigs will then counter sue for the 2 points they missed out out.

Spurs can then sue for olly Norwood not getting sent off against them for a blatant elbow.

And so on....

Video technology works well in every other sport yet the Premier League managed to completely fizz it up. When players are getting called offside because a finger nail, hair or toe nail is offside, but to get to this decision it is taking 5 minutes then it clearly is not an working.

Make the decision no longer than 30 seconds, the ref make an on-field decision, if the video ref can not see any clear reason not to agree decision made.

But the problem is one or two decision wrong and it costs a football team £70m ala Bournemouth - nothing to do with the being gash for most of the season its the tv fault.

Edited by room0035

Human error has always been an unavoidable part of the refereeing of the game, but you can't introduce a technology which is trumpeted as completely eliminating an aspect of this fallibility, only to then get something as basic as this wrong.

The fact that everybody watching the game on TV could clearly see it was a goal within 30 seconds, yet nobody was in a position to share this information with the referee is ridiculous.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Ain't trying to be funny but Sheffield United scored first on Sunday and lost 3-1, no guarantee they was going to go on and beat villa if that goal was allowed. 

100% agree - a goal given changes the course of a game, who's to say it would have finished 1-0? Subs might be different, at different times, different tactics etc. Then changes the balance of a season. 

They went down because they weren't good enough. 

34 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

It's too late

The cats well and truly out of the bag now (is that the right term?)

lol

Anyway - now that football's gone down this route we'll inevitably see clubs suing referee's when they make mistakes too

Football is so screwed and there's no way back because if the football authorities say that they're not allowing clubs to sue referees the clubs will sue THEM

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

Football is just a battle in the courtrooms now, things being settled on the pitch will be a thing of the past. VAR controversies, appeals, points deductions, embargoes and off field finance issues are the new norm and ultimately dictate everything.

Edited by swfcjack27

7 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Human error has always been an unavoidable part of the refereeing of the game, but you can't introduce a technology which is trumpeted as completely eliminating an aspect of this fallibility, only to then get something as basic as this wrong.

The fact that everybody watching the game on TV could clearly see it was a goal within 30 seconds, yet nobody was in a position to share this information with the referee is ridiculous.

Summed it up there, just not fit for service.

The Ref (and the fans) wants the decision in milliseconds and the correct one at that.  Until they get a system that provides that, then ref should be the sole judge.

Fans are actually waiting for a goal to be confirmed before celebrating how ridiculous is that?

• Like 2