Adam Reach Owls Stats

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Who? I’m genuinely interested to hear who is better than Reach at a fraction of price. Because regardless of us keeping Reach, we really should be buying this player. 

Wanting to sell Reach for a million or two as you’ve stated is not just bad for footballing reasons but also accounting reasons. We’ve also (if Carlos is to be believed) turned down 9m for Reach but after a spell of below par playing you’d be happy to get rid? Anyhow back to these players that are a fraction of his cost that are better? 

His stock has fallen a bit due to his recent form, but we’d still get anything between 5m and 7m for him imo.

Certainly a lot more than a few grand as guru suggests 😆

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I am a Reach fan but he has not been playing well for a while and no stats can hide that . It has been obvious watching him.

As for the argument of left or right wing. Again it’s easy to see him deliver a good cross with his left foot from that wing and think he should always play left.

However in our two big away wins at Boro and Forest he played on the right , had good games and provided several crosses for goals. Refuse to call them “ assists”!

Also the great goals he scored from long range were from cutting in from the right onto his left foot.

It is far from clear cut and many teams play wide players on the opposite wings

What would you say is a while?

When did he start this off spell?

Dont think it could be 18/19 season, so it must be this season. Upto Jan he was contributing a great deal. He got injured and was out for six weeks. Certainly poor since then, flitting in and mainly out of the side.

3 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Dont think it could be 18/19 season, so it must be this season. Upto Jan he was contributing a great deal. He got injured and was out for six weeks. Certainly poor since then, flitting in and mainly out of the side.

For some reason Monk cant seem to find a place for him in this 352 formation. So if that's remains to be the case they we need to sell him. Far to good to be on the bench all season.

20 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

For some reason Monk cant seem to find a place for him in this 352 formation. So if that's remains to be the case they we need to sell him. Far to good to be on the bench all season.

True, but unless he finds a replacement for Murphy (unlikely) he has very little choice. Reach and Harris would be our wingers or WBs.

Moses is a disaster and Penney nothing but guesswork. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

True, but unless he finds a replacement for Murphy (unlikely) he has very little choice. Reach and Harris would be our wingers or WBs.

Moses is a disaster and Penney nothing but guesswork. 

If we continue with this formation I think we need all four, and all have quite a big part to play. I think Harris has been overused, as was Reach in previous seasons. With the demands of that position I’m quite glad we have a bit of depth to sub/swap and change. 

I think Reach next year will be back and firing, I also think Moses will be better too. I was actually shocked at how good Moses close control was towards end of season and I think with a bit of confidence he could be a valuable asset too. 

As guru rightly points out, none of them full me with confidence defensively, but not do a lot of very good modern fullbacks/wingbacks. 

3 hours ago, Philb125 said:

Who? I’m genuinely interested to hear who is better than Reach at a fraction of price. Because regardless of us keeping Reach, we really should be buying this player. 

Wanting to sell Reach for a million or two as you’ve stated is not just bad for footballing reasons but also accounting reasons. We’ve also (if Carlos is to be believed) turned down 9m for Reach but after a spell of below par playing you’d be happy to get rid? Anyhow back to these players that are a fraction of his cost that are better? 

We don’t even have to buy, there plenty of exciting young wingers we could take on loan. The guy West Brom borrowed from West Ham, someone to keep the opposition defenders on their toes When did we last see Reach terrorise a full back? 

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We don’t even have to buy, there plenty of exciting young wingers we could take on loan. The guy West Brom borrowed from West Ham, someone to keep the opposition defenders on their toes When did we last see Reach terrorise a full back? 

So our approach should be to get rid of assets that were previously highly rated at their lowest and replace with on loan players, the best of which require a substantial fee for the benefit of developing them? 

I mean, I’m not opposed to using the loan market. But it wouldn’t be at the expense of one of the more saleable assets in the squad. Also with so many other gaps to plug, I’d probably start elsewhere too. I think Reach will have a big season next year. I just hope it’s in a Wednesday shirt! 

6 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

So our approach should be to get rid of assets that were previously highly rated at their lowest and replace with on loan players, the best of which require a substantial fee for the benefit of developing them? 

I mean, I’m not opposed to using the loan market. But it wouldn’t be at the expense of one of the more saleable assets in the squad. Also with so many other gaps to plug, I’d probably start elsewhere too. I think Reach will have a big season next year. I just hope it’s in a Wednesday shirt! 

Yes, whats the point in keeping players like Rhodes and Reach if we are not going to play them Neither would be a big miss, although they will probably mean a big loss. We paid far too much for Reach anyway

Edited by gurujuan

Just now, gurujuan said:

Yes, whats the point in keeping players like Rhodes and Reach if we are not going to play them Neither would be a big miss, although they will probably mean a big loss. We paid far too much for Reach anyway

We turned down 9m for Reach according to Carlos. I’m sure at that point we didn’t overpay and I’m sure with another normal season he’s back up there in the 7-10m bracket. 

Rhodes on the other hand. Well yes, obviously if there was a taker then he should go and the salary should be used for us to try and strengthen the squad.

However one is hugely different to the other. In terms of age, resale value, likelihood to be a key player, key performer, key contributor. 

• Like 1

On 28/07/2020 at 08:27, Holmowl said:

Seeing lots of posts wanting him gone. Let’s see the realities of what he does and doesn’t do for us. 

Since signing there’s been 181 Championship matches.

Played 166

Goals 16

Assists 28

Best season 18/19

8 Goals 

7 assists 

Worst season 19/20

1 goal

6 assists 

17/18 he held us together almost single-handedly thru a season dogged with injuries. He was the only first-pick player available for months on end. 

According to Transfermarkt he’s played 18 times for us at LB, and roughly even amounts of games as winger or midfielder.

In my opinion he suffers from Alan Harper syndrome - good in any position but not jaw-dropping in one specific position.

Be very careful what you wish for. We tried McGeady, McManaman and Buckley but all flattered to deceive. Reach works hard, stays very healthy and has had been up there with the best for two of the past three seasons. For whatever reason he let himself down this season. 

He is contracted, plays every game, and has the best delivery bar none at the club. He has a Mercedes engine rather than a Mustang, and gives his all. A Boro pal said he is a confidence player. Well, we saw one year ago what he is capable of when confident. Maybe in 19/20 that confidence was shaken by something or somebody?

I’d love to see Reach and Harris in tandem game after game. Both keep fit, both try hard. I’d like to see them freshened up by regular wing-swapping, even during games. They offer VERY different threats. Surely that helps to make it harder for opposing managers and full-backs?

Whether we play 442 or 352 he is my first-pick wide man. In our current squad he’s a no-brainer. Even if we buy or loan will we really get better than Adam Reach? Hard to imagine in our current state.

Good overview & very accurate.

Maybe people would love him if only he would go flying in with studs up with 5 minutes gone, get a Red card or overstretch and be out for the next 3 games as was the case with Hutch on a regular basis.

It's wot heroes are made of innit. Not like that always available, never injured, classy, nesher who carried us for two seasons.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Boro away 0-1 win.

Swansea home got 2.

In that second half of the season we became a very good side. 

We were referring to the 2nd half of the season and you said he scored 3 under Bruce. His goal against Boro came under Bullen, before the new year. 

As I said, in the 2018-19 season he scored 9 goals, 7 of those came in 2018 and only 2 in 2019. He may well have played most of the time under Bruce but his productivity clearly went down in comparison to the first half of the season.  

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Depends what you mean by a spell. I have also been a Reach fan so it annoys me when he doesn’t play well as he always gives the impression it’s because he can’t be bothered.

Since the days of Jos I have not seen him play a decent game in central midfield but even though I think some of that is down to him I will let him off that as it isn’t his position. I just don’t get why he played ok there under Jos but has been really rubbish there since.

Out wide he has been too hit and miss. He was very good at Middlesbrough then at Hull in the very next game just disappeared.

In a poor team performance at Blackburn he was woeful and only lasted 70 mins.

• Thanks 1