Adam Reach Owls Stats

I understand the stats stuff but what isn’t measured is that Reach has had some awful games this season and in those games his performances have been a part of us losing the games.

If we are giving credits for goals and assists there should be a debit column for these kind of performances. Perhaps we should knock one off his “ assist” column for the one he assisted at Swansea 

8 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Which 3 did he score?

I never said he was one of our biggest worries. 

Boro away 0-1 win.

Swansea home got 2.

In that second half of the season we became a very good side. 

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

an inform adam reach is a shoo-in in this team ......how he's performed since mid jan  he's lucky to get a place on the bench 

Wouldn’t disagree with a word of that. 

19 hours ago, malek said:

It might sound revolution idea, but how about playing left footed Adam Reach on the left and right footed Harris on the right wing??! 

Its bizarre isn’t it?

Reach strikes early beautifully-weighted curling crosses over from the left. From the right he either stands them up or checks back.

Harris’s delivery isn’t great but certainly better on his right foot. His cut-in-from-the-left shots are just woeful.

I hope we see Reach and Harris on their back-to-basics wings in September, though delighted to see them swapping regularly.

Edited by Holmowl

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

If we can get a couple of million for him, we should sell and use the money to strengthen elsewhere Perhaps in the current climate, we might be better trying to line up a swap deal

Happy with Harris and Moses as our WBs or wingers? With Penney as back-up?

Looks like relegation-fight strength to me. 

4 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Happy with Harris and Moses as our WBs or wingers? With Penney as back-up?

Looks like relegation-fight strength to me. 

Not really, but all are better than Reach in that position The thing is, we also need to generate funds to enable us to be a bit more proactive in the market. It’s OK Monk saying we won’t be spending money, but if we can be a bit creative in offloading some of our unwanted personnel, there just might be

2 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Not really, but all are better than Reach in that position The thing is, we also need to generate funds to enable us to be a bit more proactive in the market. It’s OK Monk saying we won’t be spending money, but if we can be a bit creative in offloading some of our unwanted personnel, there just might be

In our list of potential WBs I’d put Reach miles above Scary Mo and unproven Penney. I’d put him above Harris, even based on this last season, despite it being his worst in a Wednesday shirt.

And if we play wingers Reach would be first pick every game from that list.

• Thanks 1

For comparison - and it will make us weep now Murphy has gone back:-

Murphy

2293 mins

9 goals

6 assists

Key contribution every 153 mins

Reach 

2338 mins

1 goal

6 assists

Key contribution every 334 mins

Harris

3388 mins

3 goals

4 assists

Key contribution every 484 mins

Worth looking at Murphy since the 2-0 at Leeds. Something clearly clicked.

Before Leeds - 2 goals and 1 assist

Since Leeds - 7 goals and 5 assists

Murphy’s confidence shone like a beacon second half of the season. Sadly he was the only one. 

Back to the topic - Harris can count himself very lucky to have been No 1 pick winger and WB. Especially since 12th December, when he has provided no goals and only one assist, in the final game. 

21 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

There's not many phrases that I can't stand but this one has to be right up there...

Why?

Always think of this when I see Alan Curbishly. I remember all the 5-live phone in critics when Charlton were “only” 10th-13th in the Prem. “We need better”.....

The phrase fits us football fans to a tee. 

9 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I understand the stats stuff but what isn’t measured is that Reach has had some awful games this season and in those games his performances have been a part of us losing the games.

If we are giving credits for goals and assists there should be a debit column for these kind of performances. Perhaps we should knock one off his “ assist” column for the one he assisted at Swansea 

You going to apply that to every player then? Take an assist off Bannan for that woeful pass last week. Iorfa has given away needless penalties and spends more time rolling around on his back than stood up etc etc

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

In our list of potential WBs I’d put Reach miles above Scary Mo and unproven Penney. I’d put him above Harris, even based on this last season, despite it being his worst in a Wednesday shirt.

And if we play wingers Reach would be first pick every game from that list.

Don’t see it I’m afraid, he doesn’t sense danger and he couldn’t tackle his way out of a paper bag He is better on the wing, but I’m pretty certain we could find better for a fraction of the price

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Don’t see it I’m afraid, he doesn’t sense danger and he couldn’t tackle his way out of a paper bag He is better on the wing, but I’m pretty fit and picked 40 certain we could find better for a fraction of the price

Any names?

44 goals or assists in 4 seasons and fit and picked 40 out of 46 matches?

Better. Fraction of the price. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Don’t see it I’m afraid, he doesn’t sense danger and he couldn’t tackle his way out of a paper bag He is better on the wing, but I’m pretty certain we could find better for a fraction of the price

Who? I’m genuinely interested to hear who is better than Reach at a fraction of price. Because regardless of us keeping Reach, we really should be buying this player. 

Wanting to sell Reach for a million or two as you’ve stated is not just bad for footballing reasons but also accounting reasons. We’ve also (if Carlos is to be believed) turned down 9m for Reach but after a spell of below par playing you’d be happy to get rid? Anyhow back to these players that are a fraction of his cost that are better? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 83owl said:

You going to apply that to every player then? Take an assist off Bannan for that woeful pass last week. Iorfa has given away needless penalties and spends more time rolling around on his back than stood up etc etc

Yes

I am a Reach fan but he has not been playing well for a while and no stats can hide that . It has been obvious watching him.

As for the argument of left or right wing. Again it’s easy to see him deliver a good cross with his left foot from that wing and think he should always play left.

However in our two big away wins at Boro and Forest he played on the right , had good games and provided several crosses for goals. Refuse to call them “ assists”!

Also the great goals he scored from long range were from cutting in from the right onto his left foot.

It is far from clear cut and many teams play wide players on the opposite wings

Edited by oldishowl
  • Like 1