Adam Reach Owls Stats

23 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

For a Championship side he has a good engine, good cross and good shot.
But not sort of player you look to when we are looking to dig in and grind out a performance.

Think he has a weak temperament and wants to buck his ideas up for next season. 

What about the 17/18 season where he took games by the scruff of the neck playing against good sides alongside kids and reserves?

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

What about the 17/18 season where he took games by the scruff of the neck playing against good sides alongside kids and reserves?

I remember him having a good run of games that season but that is over 2 years ago now.

Cant live off a good run of form and a few long range goals forever.

Ok let’s look at it differently....

What other player as played And been available to play in 91% of games since joining??

this season he’s missed more due to injury than ever .. maybe an indication of his form dropping?

So.. name me a more consistently available player for Wednesday in the last 5 years??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I remember him having a good run of games that season but that is over 2 years ago now.

Cant live off a good run of form and a few long range goals forever.

Worked for Forestieri for longer than that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Reach needs to be stronger in the tackle and learn to get lower when challenging for the ball instead of dangling a foot in or always trying to poke the ball away from a challenge. That said I don't agree with this lack of positional sense argument. I've watched him in the flesh in at least 50 matches and I think he's much better at it than he gets credit for. Same as Palmer used to be slated for it and Fox. We've got a set of fans who slate players for not getting forward and also slate them for not being in the right place at the back. It's almost as if they just pick a player they don't like the look of and give them abuse for no reason but I'm sure they wouldn't do that.

Maybe if he ran straight at the opposition keeper for no reason for 15 seconds a couple of times a match and waved his arms around like Bannan people would like him more. Same fans who always said FF was really good at the defensive side of his job because he chased back once he lost the ball twice a game instead of being in the right position the other 98 times out of a hundred.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, dowls said:

Ok let’s look at it differently....

What other player as played And been available to play in 91% of games since joining??

this season he’s missed more due to injury than ever .. maybe an indication of his form dropping?

So.. name me a more consistently available player for Wednesday in the last 5 years??

Paul Jones.

1 minute ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Reach needs to be stronger in the tackle and learn to get lower when challenging for the ball instead of dangling a foot in or always trying to poke the ball away from a challenge. That said I don't agree with this lack of positional sense argument. I've watched him in the flesh in at least 50 matches and I think he's much better at it than he gets credit for. Same as Palmer used to be slated for it and Fox. We've got a set of fans who slate players for not getting forward and also slate them for not being in the right place at the back. It's almost as if they just pick a player they don't like the look of and give them abuse for no reason but I'm sure they wouldn't do that.

Maybe if he ran straight at the opposition keeper for no reason for 15 seconds a couple of times a match and waved his arms around like Bannan people would like him more. Same fans who always said FF was really good at the defensive side of his job because he chased back once he lost the ball twice a game instead of being in the right position the other 98 times out of a hundred.

Give it a rest about the tackling, that's not his game, time and time again he pinches a ball or intercepts one.

One of the few quality players in the squad, if we get someone of better quality to replace him then you will have a top-class player on your hands.

• Like 1

Provided more assists from open play than any other player.

I see people post they want us to play football, so let's get rid of the player that is able to do so.

A player that will make the run for Bannan to pass to. Which makes Bannan a better player.

If Monk doesn't rate reach then that's his opinion. All I can say is other managers did and got a lot more out of him.

But if we are going down the straight line, keep your shape, direct route, strong set piece team, then Reach isn't your man and neither is Bannan really. He will perform to the best of his ability in such a system but nowhere near as good as he can in other systems.

• Like 1

Really terrific player I think with a bit more around him the confidence should return. I'd probably tell him to try half a caffeine tablets too. He might have to work is way back into the team off the bench but no doubt has the ability to do that.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Seeing lots of posts wanting him gone. Let’s see the realities of what he does and doesn’t do for us. 

Since signing there’s been 181 Championship matches.

Played 166

Goals 16

Assists 28

Best season 18/19

8 Goals 

7 assists 

Worst season 19/20

1 goal

6 assists 

17/18 he held us together almost single-handedly thru a season dogged with injuries. He was the only first-pick player available for months on end. 

According to Transfermarkt he’s played 18 times for us at LB, and roughly even amounts of games as winger or midfielder.

In my opinion he suffers from Alan Harper syndrome - good in any position but not jaw-dropping in one specific position.

Be very careful what you wish for. We tried McGeady, McManaman and Buckley but all flattered to deceive. Reach works hard, stays very healthy and has had been up there with the best for two of the past three seasons. For whatever reason he let himself down this season. 

He is contracted, plays every game, and has the best delivery bar none at the club. He has a Mercedes engine rather than a Mustang, and gives his all. A Boro pal said he is a confidence player. Well, we saw one year ago what he is capable of when confident. Maybe in 19/20 that confidence was shaken by something or somebody?

I’d love to see Reach and Harris in tandem game after game. Both keep fit, both try hard. I’d like to see them freshened up by regular wing-swapping, even during games. They offer VERY different threats. Surely that helps to make it harder for opposing managers and full-backs?

Whether we play 442 or 352 he is my first-pick wide man. In our current squad he’s a no-brainer. Even if we buy or loan will we really get better than Adam Reach? Hard to imagine in our current state.

When you compare his contribution this season to the player who is undropable in Harris he is in a different league.

People talk about other thing player bring, but if you are playing on the wing you are there to provide cross to those in the box to score, then when the other bloke is crossing it in you either get in at the far post, or are ready to put the ball back into the box.

We have been poor for most of the season on delivery Murphy puts in a few decent crosses but we don't have strikers who score on every attempt or they would be playing in the premier league. 

For me Reach offers more than Harris, his delivery is better and when he is allowed to consistent play he is a better player, but for what ever reason Monk does not like him and when he does get game it in central midfield. if Reach is not going to play and is in the last 11 months of his contract he needs to be sold to try and recoup the £5m we spent on him.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Give it a rest about the tackling, that's not his game, time and time again he pinches a ball or intercepts one.

One of the few quality players in the squad, if we get someone of better quality to replace him then you will have a top-class player on your hands.

Calm down dude, I was defending him.....

He creates a lot and he’s got goals in him. Incredible engine, disciplined and works his socks off. 

But let’s forgot all that because he doesn’t get stuck in 🙄

Ok that is frustrating but it also applies to many other players throughout modern football. You’ll struggle to find a team that has 11 players who are tough and willing to get stuck in. Our problem is, we’ve hardly got any. We’re soft as poo everywhere. 

I don’t buy this about Reach having poor positional sense either. I’ve always felt he’s extremely disciplined and well aware of his duties. He’s made mistakes as every player has, but he’s generally always switched on. 

For me he’s just made to be a left wing back. I’d like to see him given a proper run of games there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1