The championship next season

2 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

You're arguing a bloke that got a pretty decent team relegated is good enough for a top team mate. Read what you're writing. He messed up. They don't even play strong sides in the FA cup so they only have to concentrate on the PL. It's pathetic. He spent 20m on Sonlanke. 15m on Ibe. They're pathetic signings. Their clear flaw was their defence and he couldn't sort it out-thats bad management. His net spend is 133m and they have ended up in the championship, and with a straight face you're telling me he is a top manager. Give me strength

Should have never have got them relegated. But if you would have said when he went up with them he would keep them up for 5 years you would have said that would be some achievement.

Spurs could have quite easier have took him from Bournemouth had they wanted to but they didn't. 

But like Dyche and even Bruce. they are the best of the rest mangers, not elite ones. An Everton is the best they could realistically hope for. 

2 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

The league will be as strong as it has been for the last few years, if not stronger. Never understand people when they say it’s a poor league this year, which I’ve heard for the last few years now. 

I think it's a case of this year the teams at the top haven't been that strong and the difference between them and the teams at the bottom has not been great points wise.

West Brom. stumbled their way into 2nd on 83 points, a lot less than usually needed for automatic promotion. Swansea made the play offs with 70 points, again less than normally required.

If it wasn't for Wigan's points deduction Barnsley would have been relegated with 49 points, a gap of 21 points from 6th placed Swansea. The difference between the last relegation place and last play off place is on average around the 32/33 point mark.

At the minute it’s hard to say which of the 3 relegated teams will fare better next season. Howe may leave Bournemouth and Watford currently don’t have a manager. On top of that Norwich will be asset stripped of their best players and probably Bournemouth too, With the owners Watford have they are a law unto themselves. 

Of the teams that finished in the playoffs (regardless of who ends up going up) I’d say Fulham and Brentford remain the biggest threats. Cardiff are nothing special and Swansea relied on a few loans to succeed. Brentford May lose a couple of players but they will undoubtedly replace them.

Personally think all three who have come down will be top six next season. Bournemouth would have stayed up had it not been for injuries in my opinion. Watford get a lot of stick for the way they operate but if you look deeper, it's actually not a bad way of doing things and I say that as someone who doesn't like changing manager. Norwich are a well run club, decent squad already for this level.

• Like 1

Bournemouth will go best out of them I think. 

Wilson, Ake, Brooks will bring in 50mill

Theb their policy of late has been too buy the better players in the championship and good young players, like Billings, Kelly, Solanke ( though he had a poor year) Harry Wilson on loan

Watford have a lot of work to do, and Norwich will loose Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey and Cantwell. That's a overall of the spine of the team with youth and drive, difficult to replace effectively 

Bournemouth will be a completely different team start of next season

Wilson will go to a lower Prem team

Ake will go abroad 

Can see pigs resigning brooke 

Fraser contract finished 

I like howe think he is a half decent manager and alot of his players have let him down this season 

Watford got relegated because their board sacks managers every 3 months.

They was 7 points from safety when they hired Pearson and sack him when they was 3 points clear, crazy decison 

No doubt they'll sack the next manager when they are 15 points clear by Christmas. 

Norwich easily weakest of the 3 teams relegated

If I was to bet on their final positions I'd go for:

Bournemouth top 2

Watford top 6

Norwich midtable 

But Stoke have been favourites for top 2 since relegation and yet to tickle the top 6, so we will see 

The bottom end of the championship will be weaker than usual though. All three coming up along with Luton and Barnsley will likely be poor. Possibly throw Birmingham and Huddersfield in to the mix and it will be a fair few teams fighting it out to stay up. If we were to get a points deduction for next season I'd say we have a better chance of survival than most years.

16 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I think it's a case of this year the teams at the top haven't been that strong and the difference between them and the teams at the bottom has not been great points wise.

West Brom. stumbled their way into 2nd on 83 points, a lot less than usually needed for automatic promotion. Swansea made the play offs with 70 points, again less than normally required.

If it wasn't for Wigan's points deduction Barnsley would have been relegated with 49 points, a gap of 21 points from 6th placed Swansea. The difference between the last relegation place and last play off place is on average around the 32/33 point mark.

Couldn’t that also suggest the league is getting stronger though. No easy games in this league anymore. 

• Like 1

Bournemouth have a very good squad even if some are sold they will have money to replace them their chairman is minted and the EFL are too spineless to stop them buying promotion, Watford will do the same that leaves Norwich, if as I suspect they sell off a lot of their good young players they may have a season of consolidation but the promotion last year was more of a surprise than a nailed on certainty.

I think If Brentford don't go up they could well lose Watkin and the other two lads up front who have scored most of their goals but could get circa £40-50m for the 3 so will always reinvest wisely. Wayne Rooneys Derby will do what ever they have to, to be challenging and Bristol City with a solid manager could be a dark horse for the top 6. Swansea and Cardiff I see a bit of us in them they have a chance this year if they don't take it they could be no where near next season and I think both will be top half at best.

Ourselves it is too early to know we need probably to get rid of 4 or 5 move then bring in maybe 9 players a big turn around once again.

For me Reach, Lees, Bannan, JVA, Westwood, Rhodes in last year of their deals need to either resign or be sold to free up their salaries and maybe bring in fees to reinvest in the squad - the latter two are not in Monk thinking so really should not be at the club come the start of the new season.

We then need an Experienced keeper, left back, 2 centre backs if the 3-5-2 is staying, 2 wingers, 3 strikers at least.

19 hours ago, S72 Owl said:

The league will be as strong as it has been for the last few years, if not stronger. Never understand people when they say it’s a poor league this year, which I’ve heard for the last few years now. 

Nail on the head for me. Yes, it's been wide open for a fair while and looks like being wide open again. However, a wide open league doesn't mean that the league is weak or poor. I'd argue that a wide open league makes that league stronger not weaker.

For example, the more teams in contention makes it more competitive. Whereas in years past when the likes of Newcastle ran away with the second tier or the likes of Man City and Liverpool running away with the top flight in recent seasons, shows the strength of those sides but makes the League look not as competitive or as strong if there were more challengers. A league with run away leaders is a lot more boring to watch than a strong wide open competitive league in my opinion. 

I can see Norwich being weaker, they are as tight as it comes when it comes to transfers,and Pukki will no doubt be moving on. I can see Bournemouth doing a Huddersfield, and Watford are a bit of a shambles so what happens there is anyone’s guess. 

In next seasons championship a lot of clubs will have the help of parachute payments.

Norwich, Bournemouth, Watford  £43M each.

Cardiff, Fulham, Huddersfield  £35M each.

Swansea, Stoke  £16M each.

I know you can point to Sunderland as an example that parachute payments don't always help, but there is no doubt an advantage to most clubs.

West Brom. have got promoted on the back of receiving £77M in the last 2 seasons. 3 of the 4 teams in the play offs had payments this season (£120M between them).

I know Rick Parry said recently that something had to be done because it is making the championship not a level playing field. I doubt anything will happen as the Premier League call the shots.

• Like 3

On 27/07/2020 at 21:42, alanharper said:

There were only 4 decent teams in the division this season, so if Fulham or Brentford win the play offs there'll still only be 4 decent teams in the league next season as well (unless one of the bang average sides that finished 5th-12th or one of the pisspoor sides below that have an exceptionally wise or lucky transfer window). 

You can never tell whether newly relegated teams are going to do a Newcastle or a Huddersfield, but on paper all 3 are comfortably better than the rest of the Championship. Depends on which players they keep and how they invest their failure payments. 

Very good summary of this division.

Agreed - Brentford, Fulham, Leeds and Baggies miles better than Cardiff, Preston, Swans, Millwall, Derby, Forest etc...

Unless Norwich keep Pukki they’ll struggle. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Murphy go back there though.

No idea about Watford and Bournemouth. Depends on who they keep. 

2 hours ago, flo said:

Every season for the the last 5 someone says it will be the weakest championship ever and it doesn't make any sense

As ever it will be chaotic, difficult, unpredictable and brilliant.

We beat the Champions at their place, beat the team in third but they stuffed us at theirs, but the bottom team turned us over twice.

I love the Championship. 46 tough but always winnable games. I’ll miss it when we move up.

the sun is shining and I’m in optimism mode.  

• Like 2