The championship next season

As we all know, there is absolutely no certainty we will be in the championship next season. 

However, looking at the teams relegated from the premier league it makes you think that the league will be even weaker than this season. The only clubs I can see vying for automatic promotion next season are Norwich and potentially fulham if they aren’t promoted this season. If Brentford aren’t promoted they will struggle to keep hold of their best players so I think they might not challenge.

With Bournemouth, I can see Eddie Howe being poached and again their top players (Ake, King et al) all being poached as well. Watford are a shambles of a club, demonstrated by their last minute decision to sack pearson.  

Clearly our club is in a perilous situation, but if by some miracle we avoid a points deduction and are able to attract a new manager and recruit sensibly then you never know. Leeds and Forest have both been in bad positions as clubs and have been able to turn it around, Forest despite missing out on a play off place at the last stage. 

Think you will be surprised just how well Bournemouth and Watford do next season. Out of them all those would be my two to watch. Both been in prem for a long time. most of their players are of prem quality. And they will get mega, mega money for some of there assets.

• Like 3

One thing is I think Bournemouth and Watford will be financially strong. They both have rich backers that have a lot of player money to recoup and also parschute payments. I could see both clubs easily recouping £80M+ each on transfers if they wanted too. 

It all depends how they adapt but my first instincts is that they'll be strong. 

• Like 1

Agree with some of what you say, it is difficult for teams coming down unless they throw lots of cash and have a good coach a la Newcastle. I'd throw Stoke in the mix of teams for a top 6 finish next season, good manager and he seems to be sorting things out. It's going to be difficult for us if we get a points deduction, so this next 3 transfer windows could give us a chance to rebuild with a younger more hungry squad. Let's hope Monk, if Chansiri sticks with him is good enough to carry that rebuild through.

I felt like that this season - in terms of the Championship being poor... we were up there and fell apart. 

Our club can’t do success for some reason - we don’t play consistently enough for a full season. 

The Championship is about who takes their chances most of the time - I reckon that’s where the anyone can beat anyone bit comes in. 

This season we pushed WBA close away from home - but they had the quality we didn’t. Same as the clubs coming down now. 

23 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

Leeds and Forest have both been in bad positions as clubs and have been able to turn it around

I am actually clinging to this sentence - we have our similarities to those clubs. 

• Like 3

Bournemouth, Watford and Norwich all have high value assets to sell which will enable them to reinvest should they need to. If brentford don’t go up they will do the usual sell a player for a large amount and reinvest in 2-3 other good players. Fulham will have reached the playoffs twice in a row so unless they get hit with ffp there’s no reason to think they won’t again. 

I am ever the optimist, however even without any points deduction I think we will struggle next year. 

I cannot see us bring in the quantity of quality players we need. 

Although we feel the league may be getting worse/easier, I’m not expecting us to be challenging anytime soon. 

10 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Eddie Howe isn't going anywhere unless Bournemouth sack him. He spent nearly 40m on Ibe and Solanke. His stock is low now.

Two players that would probably tear this division a new one.

If Eddie Howe stays then everyone else in this division has got serious problems.

Because even if he did sell most of his prizes assets, and there is a few. What some may not be taking into consideration is every premier league manager there is, is rubbing their hands together at the thought of sending  their top young players to a team managed by Eddie Howe in the championship.

Edited by pazowl55
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Just now, pazowl55 said:

Two players with would probably tear this division a new one.

If Eddie Howe stays then everyone else in this division has got serious problems.

Because even if he did sell most of his prizes assets, and there is a few. What some may not be taking into consideration is every premier league manager there is, is rubbing their hands together at the thought of sending  their top young players to a team managed by Eddie Howe in the championship.

Solanke and Ibe are not going to tear this division a new one. Solanke might be ok, Ibe won't be.

Howe is so overrated it's crazy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, striker said:

Did Bournemouth resolve their overspending with EFL when they bought promotion?

If not, wonder when their case will be heard and will Barnsley be clamouring for a 21 point deduction for them? :ph34r: 😀

Yeah, they got a £4.5m fine, if my memory serves me right.

I wonder if the EFL will be so lenient with any other teams who break the P&S rules?

:ph34r:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Solanke and Ibe are not going to tear this division a new one. Solanke might be ok, Ibe won't be.

Howe is so overrated it's crazy.

Howe will proper go on the attack in the championship like he did before. Difference this time he has some players others can only dream of to do it with. 

Is he good enough for a big club. Course he ain't. Is he good enough to win the championship with that team he has assembled and with 5 years of premier league experience in the bag. Easily.

if crowds are not back soon there could be teams going into admin, i think next season could be a very strange one, even if we do a points deduction we might well not be the only ones

the potential problems with money will give the relegated teams an even bigger advantage

• Like 1

League will be weak again next year. The sides coming down will struggle, lots out quickly and a very short turnaround. Very few sides coming down succeed year 1 as it’s such a difficult transition. Shocked people are calling out Bournemouth as a threat, I would be surprised if they finish in the top half, real issues in a very old squad.

Sides coming up look as weak as you’ll ever get in the champ, add to that sides like Barnsley/Luton staying up, and it’s incredibly open. Hope Fulham go up in the play offs, as they would be strong again.

Sadly we don’t look set up to take advantage. Although a lucky summer and it’ll be anyone of about 14 in the playoffs. Fancy stoke next season, got the right manager in, changed the squad mentality, didn’t need a mass clear out, just decent man management.

18 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Howe will proper go on the attack in the championship like he did before. Difference this time he has some players others can only dream of to do it with. 

Is he good enough for a big club. Course he ain't. Is he good enough to win the championship with that team he has assembled and with 5 years of premier league experience in the bag. Easily.

Bournemouth can get promoted despite Howe, I agree

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Bournemouth can get promoted despite Howe, I agree

They will still be a force without him. But with him I just think that he has built up that much respect in the premier league that if Klopp has a good young player that needs championship football then Bournemouth is his number one destination under Eddie Howe.

Maybe he thinks again if a Sam Allardyce type goes there for example as the football ain't going to be played the same. All the top 6 club managers will feel the same way I think. Allowing Bournemouth to cherry pick the best talent.

5 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

They will still be a force without him. But with him I just think that he has built up that much respect in the premier league that if Klopp has a good young player that needs championship football then Bournemouth is his number one destination under Eddie Howe.

Maybe he thinks again if a Sam Allardyce type goes there for example as the football ain't going to be played the same. All the top 6 club managers will feel the same way I think. Allowing Bournemouth to cherry pick the best talent.

I don't know, Harry Wilson's stock hasn't gone up spending a year with Howe and getting relegated for example.

8 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I don't know, Harry Wilson's stock hasn't gone up spending a year with Howe and getting relegated for example.

He hasn't done that bad in the premier league in a struggling team. Be different top end of the championship for a team that attacks every match. He was every bit as good as Mount for Derby last season. And look how he has done in a winning team.