Dele-Bashiru

47 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

I know lets pull a negative out of signing a fantastic young prospect

that wasn’t what I was doing at all. I think it’s exactly the type of signing we should be making. :ghoulguy:

Edited by WalthamOwl
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

If he was signing for Brentford..................................need I say more ?

But he isn’t.

Would be interesting to see which other championship teams were interested. 

Assuming we haven’t paid much, it seems like a no brainier. Appreciate what malek says about him, but he is playing amongst the elite u23 players. If he played for our u23s for example, he may have stood out more. If it’s true City offered him a 4 year deal, they clearly think he has some useful attributes 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, malek said:

No, they are not. As I said before I watched over 30 PL 2 games this season alone. There are some top players at that level, it is just I don’t think Dele-Bashiru is one of them. 

Just imagine how player who struggled for consistency at U-23 level will find it playing Championship football?! 

I'm afraid that he is player that City wanted to get rid of (despite stories that they offered him long term deal) and who got recommended to us by parties not working in best interes of our club. 

Right or wrong that is my opinion. But certainly Bashiru did little to impress in games I've seen him play (I even linked one of those on here). 

Well that’s pissed on the bonfire. But I’m going to take a positive in that at last we have a local reporter with his finger on the pulse and talking straight to the fans. Nice one. Unless he doesn’t sign then you’re a c@nt... only joking!

• Like 1

Having never seen him play, will reserve judgement. 

But, the right profile of player; young, good pedigree and importantly wants to play football. Sounds like Man City wanted to keep him, so must have something about him.

Young players can be hit and miss, but much rather this kind of signing than weeing money up the wall on a 'name' who's career is on the decline.

38 minutes ago, malek said:

Anyone got to read Ben Wilkinson's bit on Dele-Bashiru after he first got linked with us. 

Wilkinson is our ex development fase coach and curent Man City U-23 asistent manager. 

He said that Bashiru did great for them against Chelsea U-23's but struggled to get back to that level of performances again. Also said he is very strong for his age but inconsistant. 

I love that we are looking at highly rated PL 2 players who came through top academies of best English clubs. It is just that I don't think Dele-Bashiru is good enough to build our long term future around. Don't think he will come cheap as well. 

Watching him even before he got linked with us he reminded me a lot of Craig Rocastle. 

Seen anything of Reo Griffiths ? Ex Spurs academy now at Lyon ,  heard we’re in for him 

Guest gizowl
1 hour ago, kevtheowl said:

He met the lads last week ! Also at the game against Middlesbrough.    UTO 

Well that should have put him off signing. 

1 minute ago, Royal_D said:

Seen anything of Reo Griffiths ? Ex Spurs academy now at Lyon ,  heard we’re in for him 

Got across the same article, but don't know anything about him. 

Thing is that Manchester City right now have at least 3 centra midfielders in their under age squads that are rated much higher than Dele-Bashiru. 

Thomas Doyle is one of their biggest prospects, England youth international who recently got on the bench for their first team. 

Ante Palaversa is a 6m signing from Hajduk Split who spent this season out on loan in Danemark. 

Joe Hodge is 17 years old who was by far the best Irish player at U-19 European Championship. Apparently English FA wants him to declare for England. 

52 minutes ago, malek said:

Anyone got to read Ben Wilkinson's bit on Dele-Bashiru after he first got linked with us. 

Wilkinson is our ex development fase coach and curent Man City U-23 asistent manager. 

He said that Bashiru did great for them against Chelsea U-23's but struggled to get back to that level of performances again. Also said he is very strong for his age but inconsistant. 

I love that we are looking at highly rated PL 2 players who came through top academies of best English clubs. It is just that I don't think Dele-Bashiru is good enough to build our long term future around. Don't think he will come cheap as well. 

Watching him even before he got linked with us he reminded me a lot of Craig Rocastle. 

there was an element of damning via faint praise in the interview. Saying he had a great game once but not really since. You’d think we’d have been watching him though 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

there was an element of damning via faint praise in the interview. Saying he had a great game once but not really since. You’d think we’d have been watching him though 

yes it sounded like when he wanted too he could be quality and look the best player on the pitch. We just need to make sure that happens more often.  

I’m pretty sure that Howard Wilkinson’s son Craig is still involved at Man City after previously being involved with us.

Maybe a link, maybe not but I would think with their set-up (see Amazon documentary) that they don’t struggle to attract the best young prospects and the fact he says he wants games is a huge positive.

Some of our fans are never happy.  Sign seasoned pros who’ve done it at this level and they are here for one last pay day (some truth in hindsight) or sign young up and coming players with potential sell on value and they aren’t given a chance.

Even the very, very best managers have wasted loads on signings that just don’t work.

Anyone would think we were fuckingBarcelona the way some go off on here.

• Like 9

We have had a few from the Man City youth set up, I do hope though we get some players in with championship experience. It is going to be a hard league next season, with the loss of so many key players it will be a rebuilding season and having an experience spine to the team will be essential so the team don't find themselves at the wrong end of the league.

For me a experience championship quality keeper is needed, together with 2 decent strikers and a box to box midfielder. I would love us to bring in James Collins from Luton, showed in 1 season he is good enough for the league, he's on a free and won't be on silly money either.  

If he's cheap and it doesn't work out as we intend then who cares?
We did it with Iorfa and come up trumps on that one, he's worth more than we paid! 

He may have a resale value if it doesn't work out probably and we can recoup the money but he will have a point to prove and i rather us sign players like that than spending megabucks on some 'been there and done it' kind of player who couldn't give two hoots. 

Sign more hungry players with a point to prove, avoid spending millions on players 26/27+

I find it interesting he's a central midfielder when our most promising talents from our under 23's are supposed to be all central midfielders as well, see how that all plays out.

Edited by Lucas Joao's Tooth
  • Like 3