Vardy

Guest The Claw

2 hours ago, Markowski77 said:

Peak Hirst was the complete package, fast , powerful , athletic eye for goal - could take the game by the scruff off the neck and win a game by himself 

vardy is a class act, and think he is great

but he is no David Hirst

I think this is a really important observation.

Hirst could take games by the ‘scruff of the neck’ he didn’t rely on players around him.

When fit & on form he could turn games single handed, he didn’t rely on service, he could did things out individually.

Nevertheless Vardy is a tremendous footballer & would have been (& still could be 🤞🏻) a surefire Wednesday legend. 

3 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

One thing I've learnt as a post millenial Wednesdayite is that the likes of Hirst are amongst the best players to have allegedly walked the earth. 

On stats Vardy has 103 prem goals to DH's 43. I'd say Vardy is comfortably better. 

In my view the top league, bar the top two, is the poorest standard for a long time

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Bucket load of ex Man United squad players that probably have about 10 medals.

To be fair tho, Vardy wasn't just a squad player, he was a key player when Leicester won the league, there is a big difference. 

In my opinion Vardy is better than Hirst was. He's had the career that Hirst maybe could have had but didn't. Yes as a youngster I was excited to watch Hirst go at teams, and I bet the young Leicester fans feel exactly the same way about Vardy. Taking my wednesday tinted glasses off, only one of them truely made it to the top and left their mark.

I personally think Vardy had the better attitude, which is the key attribute separating the talented players and the great players. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dontCallMeOwlCallYou said:

To be fair tho, Vardy wasn't just a squad player, he was a key player when Leicester won the league, there is a big difference. 

Didnt say he was. Just commented on someone saying you must have been a good player if you have won lots of things.

Edited by pazowl55

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Didnt say he was. Just commented on someone saying you must have been a good player if you have won lots of things.

Ah, I see, missed the first part of the conversation just scanning the thread, sorry pal. I agree there, medals aren't necessarily a good indicator, depends who actually earned them.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 0wl18 said:

Knowing what we know now, If you could sign a 17 year old Jamie Vardy or, a 17 year old David Hirst and, you kept them throughout their career, which would you sign?

Vardy. It's not even a debate. The only fans who think Hirst is/was better are Wednesday fans who still think it's 1993.

Annoys me as well when people say you can't comment on players who you haven't seen play in the flesh. Not many on here will have seen the likes of Pele play but I think it's fair to say we know he was good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Emilianenko said:

The two best defences in the early nineties were Arsenal and Man Utd’s. Bruce and Pallister, Adams and Bould. Hirsty tore them a new one regularly. There only way of stopping him was to kick lumps out of him.  Fergie wanted to smash the transfer record for him. Hirst was unplayable .Hirst was a better player than Vardy.

Hirst could have been our Alan Shearer or Ian Wright , up there with the best of the best IF he had stayed fit ...but coulda woulda shoulda doesn’t really get you there does it 

Hirst had the potential to be one of the best strikers in the country, but ultimately had a career nowhere near as successful as the one Jamie’s currently having ... but then saying that if Vardy had been a bit more switched on and got into league football at 17/18 who knows what he would’ve achieved 

8 hours ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

You saw Hirsty play then ? 

Yep , many times . Great player for 2 / 3 seasons . I think some are taking it as a knock at him but for me vardy is better . The fact the 33 year old is golden boot winner against players like salah, mane , Aguero , Kane , the Arsenal striker I’ve got no chance of spelling etc says a lot for him 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, One De Bilde said:

Utterly stunned that it is being claimed that Hirst was far better than Shearer. Outrageous.

At one point in time, Hirst was ahead of him in the pecking order. But Shearer was far the better player and professional over his career.

If Hirst had joined Man Utd, who knows. 

Vardy has netted just one league goal fewer at Leicester than Hirst had in his entire career, while playing 75 games less.  

Vardy's story really is inspirational, rejection to non-league to champions league to world cup finals in just a few years, all while at unfashionable Leicester City.

Vardy is what Hirst could have been.

• Like 1

It's a tricky one, hard to compare from different eras. I don't get the argument that Hirst was comfortably better and that it is a ridiculous argument. Definitely dont get people that say hirst was better than Shearer. Absolutely no chance. 

3 hours ago, One De Bilde said:

Utterly stunned that it is being claimed that Hirst was far better than Shearer. Outrageous.

Totally agree, crazy.

Shearer was on another level to most strikers at that time, never mind hirst.

26 minutes ago, markg said:

Totally agree, crazy.

Shearer was on another level to most strikers at that time, never mind hirst.

Not when they were both fit and playing at the same time. We all know the famous quote from Sir Bobby Robson, a man who forgot more about football than we all know. 

“It’s not a question of who will replace Lineker, but who will partner David Hirst”.