Vardy

Guest The Claw

Guest Jack the Hat

Different eras. Vardy plays in a more professional era where fitness reduces injuries. Who is the best player? Easily David Hirst.  Both had great pace but Hirst could knock a defender out of the way. He was impossible to defend. He was a real life Roy of the Rovers. He massively underachieved staying with Wednesday and would have entered a different stratosphere under Alex Ferguson . He was better than shearer who ran to the corner flag when he got the ball. But his loss was my gain as I got to watch him every week. Thing is - if you asked Vardy he would agree- without being modest. It’s hard to explain how good he was without being there at the time. Stats don’t do him justice. He was the best play to play for us over the past 50 years, probably ever.

51 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

No, I've seen Vardy play loads. I've seen him scored more than double the goals. Win the Prem, play for England and play in Champions League though. 

In terms of achievements I don't think you are wrong but having seen both I think I disagree. in terms of talents and attributes. I think a fully fit Hirst in his prime playing in the Leicester and England sides that Vardy has would score more goals and win more games.

Hirst was stronger, better in the air, a better striker of the ball from distance, two great feet.

Vardy probably sneaks it on pace and has a slight edge in 1 on 1 situations.

The off field stuff of eating and drinking plus injuries did for Hirst. If he'd had premier league sports science and modern management I think he'd have had a longer and better career

7 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

Stop trying to wind people up. It’s getting boring.

You can have a go at the question Dewsbury is failing spectacularly to answer if you want

what attributes did Hirst show on a regular basis that Vardy doesn’t that means Hirst was, to quite you, clearly the better player?

1 minute ago, Ian said:

No I’m not.....if you read the thread with your eyes open you’ll see that it’s Dewsbury saying that Vardy doesn’t have those attributes......I’m merely pointing out he does.....and asking what attributes Hirst has over Vardy.....quite happy to listen but Dewsbury is failing to provide the information.

Not actually said Vardy doesn’t have attributes as you call them , I rate him very highly and love watching him play . I’m not going to try and explain my reasons , what concerns me is why you even question me 

3 minutes ago, Jack the Hat said:

Different eras. Vardy plays in a more professional era where fitness reduces injuries. Who is the best player? Easily David Hirst.  Both had great pace but Hirst could knock a defender out of the way. He was impossible to defend. He was a real life Roy of the Rovers. He massively underachieved staying with Wednesday and would have entered a different stratosphere under Alex Ferguson . He was better than shearer who ran to the corner flag when he got the ball. But his loss was my gain as I got to watch him every week. Thing is - if you asked Vardy he would agree- without being modest. It’s hard to explain how good he was without being there at the time. Stats don’t do him justice. He was the best play to play for us over the past 50 years, probably ever.

Christ there’s some weirdos on here tonight.

That Shearer must have been some player to score nye on 300 gaols from the corner flag

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

He was the best play to play for us over the past 50 years, probably ever.

He was very good and was probably better than Vardy is.. But the amount of England caps he didnt get tells you that this isnt true.

2 minutes ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Not actually said Vardy doesn’t have attributes as you call them , I rate him very highly and love watching him play . I’m not going to try and explain my reasons , what concerns me is why you even question me 

Wow.....what an arrogant tvvat

“im not explaining my reasons” (because they no doubt don’t pass any sort of questioning ) and “how dare you question me”

you thought about the Oxbridge debating society?

Edited by Ian

1 minute ago, Ian said:

You can have a go at the question Dewsbury is failing spectacularly to answer if you want

what attributes did Hirst show on a regular basis that Vardy doesn’t that means Hirst was, to quite you, clearly the better player?

I don’t believe you saw Hirsty play at all, never mind every game he played. You wouldn’t be asking these questions if you had.

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313

Sorry but this is just nonsense.. there's no way Hirst was better than Shearer, Shearer is the top PL goalscorer of all time. There's been hundreds maybe even thousands of PL strikers and he's the top.. if Hirst was a better player then he'd be top, or he'd at least be up there.

Same with Vardy, much better player than Hirst.. how many top flight golden boots did Hirst win? None.

Theres some seriously biased people on here. Ask anyone who isn't a Sheff Wed fan and they'd tell you Shearer and Vardy are better than Hirst

Just now, Dizzys Dad said:

I don’t believe you saw Hirsty play at all, never mind every game he played. You wouldn’t be asking these questions if you had.

Ok Uber fan........but I am....so why don’t you try and answer them 

1 minute ago, Ian said:

Wow.....what an arrogant tvvat

“im not explaining my reasons” (because they no doubt don’t pass any sort of questioning ) and “how dare you question me”

you thought about the Oxbridge debating society?

What is your problem ? You should go and have a cup of tea perhaps and calm down 

Edited by dewsburyowl58

Just now, dewsburyowl58 said:

What is your problem ? 

And there Dewsbury rests his case you honour

he has an opinion...can’t really back it up with anything...no one should even have the gall to question him and therefore he must be right

take him down 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dewsburyowl58 said:

Well that’s down to injuries not talent 

Maybe. he was undoubtedly a very talented player. But maybe not as much as you are making him out to be. Could he have been a premier league great like Shearer if he didnt have the injuries. Again maybe. But we can only speculate because we will never know.

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

Sorry but this is just nonsense.. there's no way Hirst was better than Shearer, Shearer is the top PL goalscorer of all time. There's been hundreds maybe even thousands of PL strikers and he's the top.. if Hirst was a better player then he'd be top, or he'd at least be up there.

Same with Vardy, much better player than Hirst.. how many top flight golden boots did Hirst win? None.

Theres some seriously biased people on here. Ask anyone who isn't a Sheff Wed fan and they'd tell you Shearer and Vardy are better than Hirst

Did you see him play ?

I would say Hirst was a more complete all round forward and given better luck with injuries, would have had many more England caps.  That tackle by Steve Bould really did end his career at the very top level.  However, he had great control, could turn his man, he had pace and could finish powerfully and accurately with either foot and with his head.

Whilst Vardy is quick and a great finisher, I don't think he has all the attributes that Hirst had at his peak.

I guess all these things are subjective really, but hey opinoons are what this forum is all about.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

Maybe. he was undoubtedly a very talented player. But maybe not as much as you are making him out to be. Could he have been a premier league great like Shearer if he didnt have the injuries. Again maybe. But we can only speculate because we will never know.

Well in my opinion he was much better than Shearer but Shearer looked after himself much better 

• Haha 1