Jump to content

Tommy Spurr Undr The Cosh Podcast


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, mildatheart67 said:

Not sure which player it was but the jist of the story , Clinton Morrison thought  Miguel  Llera had slighted him ( brave choice he's 6'4") and went home to put his " fighting" clothes on.

Drove down to middlewood and was going to surprise him ,even asked a trainee if he was there.

Turns out Llera' s brother was visting him and is a Spanish national kickboxer.

Drove home

Was reda and otsemabor, there was one I think it was Weaver's and megson said to llera go and score from a corner, you Spanish onion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mildatheart67 said:

Not sure which player it was but the jist of the story , Clinton Morrison thought  Miguel  Llera had slighted him ( brave choice he's 6'4") and went home to put his " fighting" clothes on.

Drove down to middlewood and was going to surprise him ,even asked a trainee if he was there.

Turns out Llera' s brother was visting him and is a Spanish national kickboxer.

Drove home

Wouldn't be too concerned if someone who wanted to have a pop at me went home to put his fighting clothes on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/07/2020 at 03:37, MichaelSwfc1867 said:

Listened to this yesterday, it was a good listen. Surprised to hear that Tommy’s first professional contract at the start of the 2006/2007 season was only £100 a week, he was basically told by Sturrock take it or leave it and he signed it because he was buzzing to be playing professional football at a team the size of Sheffield Wednesday.

 

Said that Irvine constantly made him and Beevers watch videos and he over analysed everything to the point he didn’t play his natural game and was overthinking his every move or pass because of it and says that it didn’t help his game at all.

 

Says that Megson totally froze him out and it was down to him basically just not liking him, he was forced to play with the youth team and then around March time he was told to stay away from the club completely. Says this hurt him a lot as he loved the club but it did leave a bitter taste. Apparently Megson wanted him to be shouting at other players and pinning them up against the wall etc when they weren’t performing, Tommy said that wasn’t his character and that he showed what he was about on the pitch in terms of workrate etc and from that moment on he was frozen out.

What episode was it

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, Django said:

That’s what I liked about Megson, he weeded out the players who weren’t up to it. Being nice doesn’t make you a winner, the mentality has to be right and successful players need an edge to them 

Funny how spurr went to Blackburn who were , sorry still are a better team and dinosaur Megson drifted into the management scrap heap isn’t it 

Edited by james o connor
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What’s the Reda/ Otsemabor story about?

 

Love these podcasts. The Mark Crossley one is absolutely hilarious. Sh*thooooouuuuse

Edited by Django
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Otsemobor sounds like another idiot, always “dindu nuffin” like leon knight. One problem follows after another. Was conspiring with Clinton Morrison, putting on his fighting gear to go after Reda. Reda of course chained a kidnapped woman to the radiator.
 

Then again even Jon gets to look down on Nile Ranger... we’ve had some absolute idiots.

Edited by Lincowl
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Lincowl said:

Otsemobor sounds like another idiot, always “dindu nuffin” like leon knight. One problem follows after another. Was conspiring with Clinton Morrison, putting on his fighting gear to go after Reda. Reda of course chained a kidnapped woman to the radiator.
 

Then again even Jon gets to look down on Nile Ranger... we’ve had some absolute idiots.

I thought Otsemobor came across as someone who knew he'd been in some daft situations in his time, but has grown up having come through some really tough times personally 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, PuntItLikeDielna said:

I thought Otsemobor came across as someone who knew he'd been in some daft situations in his time, but has grown up having come through some really tough times personally 


Gets shot, commits GBH, too big time for rotherham after signing a contract, doesn’t turn up for crewe’s pre-season, goes home to put on his fighting costume for Reda, conspiring with clinton to ambush him... it went on and on.

Edited by Lincowl
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

On 26/07/2020 at 22:09, Django said:

That’s what I liked about Megson, he weeded out the players who weren’t up to it. Being nice doesn’t make you a winner, the mentality has to be right and successful players need an edge to them 

Absolutely disagree with that. Plenty of nice folk in football that are winners .. Don't always have to be a scumbag or a bully to succeed.

 

It works with some .. but not for me .. look at Sean Dyche interview in a podcast @owlstalk posted .. change your management style to suit players. What successful ones do ...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

 

Absolutely disagree with that. Plenty of nice folk in football that are winners .. Don't always have to be a scumbag or a bully to succeed.

 

It works with some .. but not for me .. look at Sean Dyche interview in a podcast @owlstalk posted .. change your management style to suit players. What successful ones do ...

I agree, but you do need something about you. Megson tore up a squad that nearly went down that summer and built a side that won promotion so I guess his decisions were vindicated 

Edited by Django
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Lincowl said:


Gets shot, commits GBH, too big time for rotherham after signing a contract, doesn’t turn up for crewe’s pre-season, goes home to put on his fighting costume for Reda, conspiring with clinton to ambush him... it went on and on.

 

All things he looks back on and you can tell he regrets, to be fair i thought his interview was honest. His problem was the crowd he knocked about with, with some footballers they tend to cut off their mates and start knocking around with their team mates/other pros instead but he appeared to stay loyal to his friends even when making it.

 

Leon Knight, I do agree with you on that one, his podcast was cringey at times. Must have been an absolute nightmare to manage, definitely believes his own hype and in all honesty came across as a right be!!end. You can tell Parkin, Brown and the other guy Chris were thinking the exact same all through the chat.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/07/2020 at 22:35, SiJ said:

Megson is one of those. 

 

I've listened to a few of the Undr the Cosh podcasts and Megson's name comes up a fair bit. 

 

Some really liked him and others think he was an absolute weapon. 

 

To be honest the only one who I've heard say bad things about him was Alan Rogers, the ex Forest full back. Geoff Horsfield, Nicky Weaver and Andy Johnson (ex WBA midfielder) speak quite highly of him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/07/2020 at 22:44, Django said:

What’s the Reda/ Otsemabor story about?

 

Love these podcasts. The Mark Crossley one is absolutely hilarious. Sh*thooooouuuuse

They had a game in training and Jon went over to Reda to explain something,  Reda thought he was being aggressive so pushed his face but cut Jon's face with a finger nail, Jon got sent home said he lived 5 minutes away put some 'fighting clothes' on and came back down and waited for reda in the training ground. I listened to it a week or so ago so I might have got something wrong but that's the gist of it

Edited by Andrew_Owl
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...