Tommy Spurr Undr The Cosh Podcast

Listened to this yesterday, it was a good listen. Surprised to hear that Tommy’s first professional contract at the start of the 2006/2007 season was only £100 a week, he was basically told by Sturrock take it or leave it and he signed it because he was buzzing to be playing professional football at a team the size of Sheffield Wednesday.

Said that Irvine constantly made him and Beevers watch videos and he over analysed everything to the point he didn’t play his natural game and was overthinking his every move or pass because of it and says that it didn’t help his game at all.

Says that Megson totally froze him out and it was down to him basically just not liking him, he was forced to play with the youth team and then around March time he was told to stay away from the club completely. Says this hurt him a lot as he loved the club but it did leave a bitter taste. Apparently Megson wanted him to be shouting at other players and pinning them up against the wall etc when they weren’t performing, Tommy said that wasn’t his character and that he showed what he was about on the pitch in terms of workrate etc and from that moment on he was frozen out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MichaelSwfc1867 said:

Listened to this yesterday, it was a good listen. Surprised to hear that Tommy’s first professional contract at the start of the 2006/2007 season was only £100 a week, he was basically told by Sturrock take it or leave it and he signed it because he was buzzing to be playing professional football at a team the size of Sheffield Wednesday.

Said that Irvine constantly made him and Beevers watch videos and he over analysed everything to the point he didn’t play his natural game and was overthinking his every move or pass because of it and says that it didn’t help his game at all.

Says that Megson totally froze him out and it was down to him basically just not liking him, he was forced to play with the youth team and then around March time he was told to stay away from the club completely. Says this hurt him a lot as he loved the club but it did leave a bitter taste. Apparently Megson wanted him to be shouting at other players and pinning them up against the wall etc when they weren’t performing, Tommy said that wasn’t his character and that he showed what he was about on the pitch in terms of workrate etc and from that moment on he was frozen out.

You can't be outside of your nature.  

That’s what I liked about Megson, he weeded out the players who weren’t up to it. Being nice doesn’t make you a winner, the mentality has to be right and successful players need an edge to them 

• Like 8

Didn't Megson also have a right go at Tommy during the Brentford defeat? Think it was over Spurr coming over for a drink after only 10 minutes?

I'm not surprised about Irvine. Something had to make Beevers and Spurr go from solid lower championship defenders to conference standard. They were awful in that league one season under Irvine

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, katie melua said:

I'm not surprised about Irvine. Something had to make Beevers and Spurr go from solid lower championship defenders to conference standard. They were awful in that league one season under Irvine

Big talker! How many coaching badges do you have?

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, DSandersonOWL said:

Much as I want Monk out I would certainly not want a dinasaur like Megson to ever come back.

His dad was a goodun tho.

Megson is one of those. 

I've listened to a few of the Undr the Cosh podcasts and Megson's name comes up a fair bit. 

Some really liked him and others think he was an absolute weapon. 

6 hours ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

You can't be outside of your nature.  

Where did that come from?

You're not usually one for metaphysics and it's not in the OP.

Are you having a funny turn?

1 hour ago, Django said:

That’s what I liked about Megson, he weeded out the players who weren’t up to it. Being nice doesn’t make you a winner, the mentality has to be right and successful players need an edge to them 

Can think of loads of people who are nice and winners, you don't have to be a bully.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Can think of loads of people who are nice and winners, you don't have to be a bully.  

I don’t think he was bullied, he was just eased out of the squad

We have a few now who are too nice. One of the reasons Adam Reach will never be a top player is nothing to do with his talent it’s because he’s not aggressive enough, he has no edge 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Django said:

I don’t think he was bullied, he was just eased out of the squad

We have a few now who are too nice. One of the reasons Adam Reach will never be a top player is nothing to do with his talent it’s because he’s not aggressive enough, he has no edge 

Give over play Reach in his natural position, and he will flourish.

42 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I once sat in the lower south near the dug out in Megsins reign.

We went at half time 2-1 up but I feared for the players, especially Giles Coke. 
It was pure abuse, my lad who was about 5 at the time who the man was who just shouted all the time.

His Dickensian style is hopefully in the rear view mirror.

• Like 1