Anglo - Italian cup....

56 minutes ago, Kernow_Blu said:

If my memory serves me correctly. We played Juventus, Napoli and Bologna..... 

No   Napoli and Juventus at Hillsboro

Napoli Savoia and Juventus away.   According to Complete Record book.  I don't remember Savoia at all.   We beat Napoli 4-3 at Hillsboro and drew 0-0 at home to Juve.

• Like 1

Guest Timothy Fields

It was known then as UNIONE SPORTIVA SAVOIA, they are from the Naples Province, don't know the score but there was more than 2000 fans there. On a spying mission for Napoli no doubt, was that the year Swindon Town won? From Torre Annunziata, all white Leeds UTD strip(courtesy of Wikipedia) 

Edited by Timothy Fields
Error

48 minutes ago, 31Dec1966 said:

I went to both home games, 0-0 with Juventus and 4-3 with Napoli, can't remember the crowd but they weren't well attended.

Was there for both games and you are right about the attendances. The Napoli on especially people were sitting down on the Kop to watch. I seem to remember it being a very hot sunny day.

• Like 2

Guest Timothy Fields
2 hours ago, Plonk said:

Wasn’t one of the Anglo Italian finals stopped by rioting think that’s why it dies a quiet death? 

Swindon were winning 3-0 in final v Napoli, crowd started rioting, so ref stopped game in 70 minute and result stood

I remember the games,went to both,they were a curtain raiser to the 1970-71 season,Wednesday were in group 1 with Napoli,Juventus and eventual winners swindon town,the first game was an exciting 4-3 win over Napoli with Steve downes and Alan warboys both scoring twice,followed a week later by a dull goaless draw with Juve,there was slightly over 10K for the first game and around 9.5K for the Juve match,we then went to italy for the return fixtures and lost both,hammered 5-1 in naples,and then 2-0 in turin,we finished bottom of the group of english clubs,made up of wolves,middlesboro,west brom and sunderland.

Napoli topped the italian group,but the final descended into chaos and got abandoned,with swindon 3 up just after half time and they were awarded the trophy on merit.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Older Wednesdayites don't know how good they had it, I just want to see us in the premiership just once!! Even if its Southampton away and we lose 10-0 and I've got to walk there and back. 

Poor love. We moan like buggery but at least I’ve seen us play juve, win a trophy finish third in the top flight seen us qualify for Europe....and come within a whisker division 4. Take consolation in the fact that I will never see things like that again.... but you might. Well the div 4 bit anyway !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Older Wednesdayites don't know how good they had it, I just want to see us in the premiership just once!! Even if its Southampton away and we lose 10-0 and I've got to walk there and back. 

and maybe even the Premier LEAGUE one day also

3 hours ago, Andrew_Owl said:

Does it really matter?

Yes. 

In 2007 the premiership became the FA Premier league.  

Meanwhile in Scotland the Scott Premier League became the Scottish Premiership.

Explain those amazing facts to your mates down the pub and they'll hold you in high esteem. 

• Haha 1