Scouts... If they exist @ swfc

23 hours ago, McRightSide said:

Just out of interest, what does everyone think Paxo does?

Paxo probably deals with the agents.

Agent- my client wants 20k a week

Paxo -( gets fag packet and pen out) we can go to 25k 

Agent - done

That’s the system we operate, this is why we need a manager/coach who can work with, and improve, the players he is given. We might wish that we had an old school manager like Ferguson, who took charge of everything, but that’s not the way the club is run

On 26/07/2020 at 00:08, Rev Owl said:

Can we afford not to scout?

10 scouts on £40k a year (guess)

= £400k

That's roughly 8k a week.

Perhaps the wage of one squad player?

Infrastructure costs peanuts Vs the cost of the actual players transfers and wages, but still we seem not to invest in it.

That's not how scouting works. At all

20 hours ago, Minton said:

I would imagine scouts are on a bit more than £40k for a championship club.

Then there is flights/travel, accommodation and expenses so you can probably double the cost. Then there are the analysts and backroom staff to make it all work. So for a basic scouting network you're looking at £1.5m+. For a network like Brentford, you'll be looking at far, far higher. There is a reason why Brentford had to make the choice between their scouting network and their youth academy.

Scouting is more about connections then money. Its building relationships. Unless you get a really highly connected/regarded manager it takes time to build the infrastructure 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, fudge27 said:

Scouting is more about connections then money. Its building relationships. Unless you get a really highly connected/regarded manager it takes time to build the infrastructure 

I'll accept your more detailed knowledge of the game. Do you think we have the infrastructure? If not, do you think we should be building it as a priority?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rev Owl said:

I'll accept your more detailed knowledge of the game. Do you think we have the infrastructure? If not, do you think we should be building it as a priority?

Yes, but the way to build it is to have a chief exec/director of football who has a clear idea, and can build links with grassroots and non league clubs in this country. 

Building overseas connections would take a lot more money, and a couple of years to bear fruit and then to have what the likes of Brentford takes years 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, fudge27 said:

Yes, but the way to build it is to have a chief exec/director of football who has a clear idea, and can build links with grassroots and non league clubs in this country. 

Building overseas connections would take a lot more money, and a couple of years to bear fruit and then to have what the likes of Brentford takes years 

I wonder why nothing came of those endless trips to Portugal scouting players. We must have had people watching games for the best part of two years, yet as far as I know, it’s not delivered one single player

On 25/07/2020 at 09:08, Bigblueowl said:

Do we actually have a proper scouting set up? 

If so what are they playing at? When are we going to see some kind of fruit? 

I don't mean for the academy either, I mean players who can slot straight in the first team! I mean finding real raw talented hungry players for nominal fees! Other clubs can do it... Why can't we! 

Fisayo Dele-Bashiru

Manuel Hidalgo

Dom Iorfa

Kadeem Harris

Osaze Urghohide

They're trying to get younger lads in

Edited by thebizzle