Jump to content
Bigblueowl

Scouts... If they exist @ swfc

Recommended Posts

you'd be surprised how many local scouts are out there for both Sheffield Teams.

 

Normal blokes who have been involved in junior football along the way..  expenses paid..many for the love of it

and the chance to spot a gem.

 

Pass up the advice / report to the main scouts in the club,  who then assess and visit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I do enjoy this thread appearing just a few hours after the ‘What do the head of recruitment and recruitment analyst actually do?’ thread

Maybe just maybe people don't see every thread as they have lives... 🙂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Grez Bez
4 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

How many scouts do you think we would need to cover the foreign lower leagues?

Could we afford to employ them, seeing as we are losing millions every year.

The top clubs will have scouts in every country. Realistically, what chance have we got of spotting and signing talent before they do.

 

Most scouts work for free; particularly those who work in the lower leagues.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I like the idea that we will be looking to bring in young hungry players this time. Mind you, Chansiri and Bruce said that was the policy last summer. We waited and waited, but nothing

Until Garry Monk sold his vision to the owner and the plan is now being backed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Bigblueowl said:

Maybe just maybe people don't see every thread as they have lives... 🙂


...yet they still come on here asking whether a Championship football club has any scouts

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, torryowl said:

i'd guess we dont have any and all our business is done thru agents offering players to whoever is in charge of recruitment .........when bruce came in he brought them 2 whose names  i dont know and i dont recall hearing that  they were replacing anyone .....whether they are still here i know not but i'd be surprised if they are  coz i'd be amazed if they came up with da cruz & hildalgo

I think until Bruce came in we didn’t have any but Bruce brought in two members of what is now our recruitment team which I assume scouting is part of there job. They will have been part of the reason for Iorfa Lazaar Aarons Odubajo Harris Borner Luongo... before this it was literally the roeder team then whatever agents came to DC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not like Football Manager any more and the gems are harder to find. Not only that some are more tempted to clubs like (dare I say) Brentford because of their recent track record of improving players and moving them on for profit to bigger clubs. Our track record recently has been poor in terms of helping youngsters progress. Whether brought in on loan or through our own set up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Grez Bez
47 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

It’s not like Football Manager any more and the gems are harder to find. Not only that some are more tempted to clubs like (dare I say) Brentford because of their recent track record of improving players and moving them on for profit to bigger clubs. Our track record recently has been poor in terms of helping youngsters progress. Whether brought in on loan or through our own set up.

 

I completely agree with your post but the part in bold is great given pro-clubs use the FM database as as scouting tool now 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

 

I completely agree with your post but the part in bold is great given pro-clubs use the FM database as as scouting tool now 😁


I know, that’s what makes it harder to find a raw gem because they’ve already been generated a couple of season on a simulated computer game that gives positive results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No-one knows anything about this club. I mean I genuinely know more about the pigs and their recruitment than anything to do with SWFC. Shambolic Club.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

How many scouts do you think we would need to cover the foreign lower leagues?

Could we afford to employ them, seeing as we are losing millions every year.

The top clubs will have scouts in every country. Realistically, what chance have we got of spotting and signing talent before they do.

Can we afford not to scout?

10 scouts on £40k a year (guess)

= £400k

That's roughly 8k a week.

Perhaps the wage of one squad player?

Infrastructure costs peanuts Vs the cost of the actual players transfers and wages, but still we seem not to invest in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, McRightSide said:


...yet they still come on here asking whether a Championship football club has any scouts

You'll be claiming we have a business plan next.

You'd imagine we have scouts, I'd take it for granted we have scouts but like all the other plans and infrastructure it's really hard to see the evidence for it either in its own terms or in its outcomes.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, No Uniform said:

Just because he was surplus, it doesn't mean the scouts didn't do their work.  One of the positive legacies bruce left was he brought in a recruitment team and left them.

He left one bloke and a statistician lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the time to question the effectiveness of our scouting team is after the transfer windows closed and we’ve seen the fruits of their labour?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yellowbelly said:

Surely the time to question the effectiveness of our scouting team is after the transfer windows closed and we’ve seen the fruits of their labour?

You can cut that out for a start...talking sense won't cut it on here lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Just out of interest, what does everyone think Paxo does?

Edited by McRightSide

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

Can we afford not to scout?

10 scouts on £40k a year (guess)

= £400k

That's roughly 8k a week.

Perhaps the wage of one squad player?

Infrastructure costs peanuts Vs the cost of the actual players transfers and wages, but still we seem not to invest in it.

 

I would imagine scouts are on a bit more than £40k for a championship club.

 

Then there is flights/travel, accommodation and expenses so you can probably double the cost. Then there are the analysts and backroom staff to make it all work. So for a basic scouting network you're looking at £1.5m+. For a network like Brentford, you'll be looking at far, far higher. There is a reason why Brentford had to make the choice between their scouting network and their youth academy.

Edited by Minton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest Grez Bez
14 minutes ago, Minton said:

 

I would imagine scouts are on a bit more than £40k for a championship club.

 

Then there is flights/travel, accommodation and expenses so you can probably double the cost. Then there are the analysts and backroom staff to make it all work. So for a basic scouting network you're looking at £1.5m+. For a network like Brentford, you'll be looking at far, far higher. There is a reason why Brentford had to make the choice between their scouting network and their youth academy.

 

You'd be very surprised how low wages are in Football.

 

Most scouts only get paid expenses. I know a ton of ex players who are scouting for local clubs, some work for more than one club.

 

My friend is an analyst for England and gets £25k per year. Coaches are on peanuts too.

 

It's because there's so many wanting not do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought the title referred to The Scouts (as with Girl Guides).

In fact Inside Info reveals that the team always sing the following Scout song in the Owlerton changing room before each game. 

 

<Keep on the sunny side
Always on the sunny side
Keep on the sunny side of life
YEE-HAW!
You’ll suffer no pain
As we drive you all insane
So keep on the sunny side of life>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Minton said:

 

I would imagine scouts are on a bit more than £40k for a championship club.

 

Then there is flights/travel, accommodation and expenses so you can probably double the cost. Then there are the analysts and backroom staff to make it all work. So for a basic scouting network you're looking at £1.5m+. For a network like Brentford, you'll be looking at far, far higher. There is a reason why Brentford had to make the choice between their scouting network and their youth academy.

Ok accepting your figures. It's still a worthwhile investment Vs buying rubbish players or finding good ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...