Scouts... If they exist @ swfc

you'd be surprised how many local scouts are out there for both Sheffield Teams.

Normal blokes who have been involved in junior football along the way..  expenses paid..many for the love of it

and the chance to spot a gem.

Pass up the advice / report to the main scouts in the club,  who then assess and visit.

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

I do enjoy this thread appearing just a few hours after the ‘What do the head of recruitment and recruitment analyst actually do?’ thread

Maybe just maybe people don't see every thread as they have lives... 🙂

• Haha 1

Guest Grez Bez
4 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

How many scouts do you think we would need to cover the foreign lower leagues?

Could we afford to employ them, seeing as we are losing millions every year.

The top clubs will have scouts in every country. Realistically, what chance have we got of spotting and signing talent before they do.

Most scouts work for free; particularly those who work in the lower leagues.

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I like the idea that we will be looking to bring in young hungry players this time. Mind you, Chansiri and Bruce said that was the policy last summer. We waited and waited, but nothing

Until Garry Monk sold his vision to the owner and the plan is now being backed?

9 hours ago, torryowl said:

i'd guess we dont have any and all our business is done thru agents offering players to whoever is in charge of recruitment .........when bruce came in he brought them 2 whose names  i dont know and i dont recall hearing that  they were replacing anyone .....whether they are still here i know not but i'd be surprised if they are  coz i'd be amazed if they came up with da cruz & hildalgo

I think until Bruce came in we didn’t have any but Bruce brought in two members of what is now our recruitment team which I assume scouting is part of there job. They will have been part of the reason for Iorfa Lazaar Aarons Odubajo Harris Borner Luongo... before this it was literally the roeder team then whatever agents came to DC. 

It’s not like Football Manager any more and the gems are harder to find. Not only that some are more tempted to clubs like (dare I say) Brentford because of their recent track record of improving players and moving them on for profit to bigger clubs. Our track record recently has been poor in terms of helping youngsters progress. Whether brought in on loan or through our own set up.

• Like 1

Guest Grez Bez
47 minutes ago, Swiss Toni said:

It’s not like Football Manager any more and the gems are harder to find. Not only that some are more tempted to clubs like (dare I say) Brentford because of their recent track record of improving players and moving them on for profit to bigger clubs. Our track record recently has been poor in terms of helping youngsters progress. Whether brought in on loan or through our own set up.

I completely agree with your post but the part in bold is great given pro-clubs use the FM database as as scouting tool now 😁

6 minutes ago, Grez Bez said:

I completely agree with your post but the part in bold is great given pro-clubs use the FM database as as scouting tool now 😁

I know, that’s what makes it harder to find a raw gem because they’ve already been generated a couple of season on a simulated computer game that gives positive results.

9 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

How many scouts do you think we would need to cover the foreign lower leagues?

Could we afford to employ them, seeing as we are losing millions every year.

The top clubs will have scouts in every country. Realistically, what chance have we got of spotting and signing talent before they do.

Can we afford not to scout?

10 scouts on £40k a year (guess)

= £400k

That's roughly 8k a week.

Perhaps the wage of one squad player?

Infrastructure costs peanuts Vs the cost of the actual players transfers and wages, but still we seem not to invest in it.

4 hours ago, McRightSide said:

...yet they still come on here asking whether a Championship football club has any scouts

You'll be claiming we have a business plan next.

You'd imagine we have scouts, I'd take it for granted we have scouts but like all the other plans and infrastructure it's really hard to see the evidence for it either in its own terms or in its outcomes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellowbelly said:

Surely the time to question the effectiveness of our scouting team is after the transfer windows closed and we’ve seen the fruits of their labour?

You can cut that out for a start...talking sense won't cut it on here lol

12 hours ago, Rev Owl said:

Can we afford not to scout?

10 scouts on £40k a year (guess)

= £400k

That's roughly 8k a week.

Perhaps the wage of one squad player?

Infrastructure costs peanuts Vs the cost of the actual players transfers and wages, but still we seem not to invest in it.

I would imagine scouts are on a bit more than £40k for a championship club.

Then there is flights/travel, accommodation and expenses so you can probably double the cost. Then there are the analysts and backroom staff to make it all work. So for a basic scouting network you're looking at £1.5m+. For a network like Brentford, you'll be looking at far, far higher. There is a reason why Brentford had to make the choice between their scouting network and their youth academy.

Edited by Minton

Guest Grez Bez
14 minutes ago, Minton said:

Then there is flights/travel, accommodation and expenses so you can probably double the cost. Then there are the analysts and backroom staff to make it all work. So for a basic scouting network you're looking at £1.5m+. For a network like Brentford, you'll be looking at far, far higher. There is a reason why Brentford had to make the choice between their scouting network and their youth academy.

You'd be very surprised how low wages are in Football.

Most scouts only get paid expenses. I know a ton of ex players who are scouting for local clubs, some work for more than one club.

My friend is an analyst for England and gets £25k per year. Coaches are on peanuts too.

It's because there's so many wanting not do it.

Thought the title referred to The Scouts (as with Girl Guides).

In fact Inside Info reveals that the team always sing the following Scout song in the Owlerton changing room before each game. 

<Keep on the sunny side
Always on the sunny side
Keep on the sunny side of life
YEE-HAW!
You’ll suffer no pain
As we drive you all insane
So keep on the sunny side of life>

7 hours ago, Minton said:

Ok accepting your figures. It's still a worthwhile investment Vs buying rubbish players or finding good ones.