I wouldn’t want Carlos back as he made some mistakes and we need to move on to new opportunities now.  But he was my favourite manager since Big Ron during his first 18 months in charge, sadly it all went wrong after 

10 minutes ago, steelowl said:

what you saying carlos in  if we go down? :ph34r:

Er, no.

He should concentrate on applying for the role of spiv in the next St Trinian’s film.

• Haha 1

Playing devils advocate here. Did he leave a mess of unfit, demoralised players.....Or was he handed a bloated squad of players that we’re forced upon him?

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Tbf, Chris Turner wanted to take us into Europe.

HE DID.    Tranmere(birkenhead), Hartlepool, Rushden, Dagenham etc.   All places in Europe.

Never understood why the British talk about Europe as if it's some faraway land.

2 hours ago, Swiss Toni said:

Carlos didn’t have a clue after that first season. It was only slight momentum from his first season that made us finish in the playoffs. Every home game in season 2 was dire to watch and we never got going until the 60 minute mark or until we went behind. That’s not good management.

I have a couple of theories on why we changed:

- CC was *inspired* by watching Burnley, Boro and Hull grind their way to promotion; 

And/or 

-The pressure was now on, so he decided to adopt a more pragmatic, cagey approach to get the job done. Nearly worked, but we couldn't shift gears when it came to Huddersfield and paid the price.

Weirdly, his brief spell at Swansea was like a microcosm of his time here: started off well, playing nice, attacking football. Got carried away, started enjoying the press attention a bit too much. Pressure kicks in and goes all negative. Stacks it. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 2
54 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

Failed attempts happen all the time, doesn’t really dictate the future. Clubs who have failed have come back stronger on many occasions 

The ‘inherited a mess’ notion doesn’t sit with me to the extent that he can’t organise a football team to go out there 

He’s a football manager with roughly 70-80% of a new squad since Carlos left. All the other noise behind the scenes is pretty irrelevant when talking about the playing side 

You’re sat in the dressing room 5 mins before kick off , are you really thinking about anything else but football? 

All fair points mate. And I’m not trying to defend monks record here. The original question was about Carlos coming back. My point is Carlos left a bit of a mess....of which we’re still clearing up. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, SiJ said:

I have a couple of theories on why we changed:

- CC was *inspired* by watching Burnley, Boro and Hull grind their way to promotion; 

And/or 

-The pressure was now on, so he decided to adopt a more pragmatic, cagey approach to get the job done. Nearly worked, but we couldn't shift gears when it came to Huddersfield and paid the price.

Weirdly, his brief spell at Swansea was like a microcosm of his time here: started off well, playing nice, attacking football. Got carried away, started enjoying the press attention a bit too much. Pressure kicks in and goes all negative. Stacks it. 

His first season here we played attractive counter attacking football and caught a lot of teams out - we were dark horses. Second season teams saw that and sat back more, often playing one up top. We had expectations as a club and a fan base and ultimately Carlos found it harder to break teams down. There never seemed to be a plan B and that’s was similar at Swansea too.

• Like 2

Carlos was a head coach here, tasked with getting the best out of the squad he had. He absolutely achieved this over the two full seasons he was here and injuries out of his control led to his departure. Having met him on multiple occasions at the ground and training ground, he was the nicest bloke you could ever wish to meet, wanted the best for this football club and had his hands tied in terms of anything above coaching the players. The hate for him is completely unwarranted, best coach since the turn of the millennium, fact. 

4 hours ago, Django said:

Playing devils advocate here. Did he leave a mess of unfit, demoralised players.....Or was he handed a bloated squad of players that we’re forced upon him?

Both

Owlstalk Shop

12 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

Just noticed t’old Carlos side is winning 1-0 at moment. 

I really enjoyed his first season here, loved watching us but never go back. It just never works out.

If Carlos is in Europe with tiny little Rio ave makes the Carlos haterz look a little bit silly don’t it...cmon dc ring him b4 benfica do

11 hours ago, Plonk said:

Wouldnt want him back, don’t wish him ill and good luck to him.

But I really don’t understand this Monk is clearing up Carlos’ mess argument. 

I knew he left a mess behind, but there have been two managers in between. If it’s supposedly “ the same squad” well CC took that squad to two top six finishes. Jo’s turned it into a relegation side, Bruce. Got it going again, and might have made it a third top six finish ( I said might we will n3ver know) and Monk has turned it into a relegation side.

so if it’s the same squad why have two managers done ok and two done crap, and if it’s not then you can’t really still blame Carlos. The real shame is Bruce didn’t hang about long enough to prove the theory. 

When CC left, we were in rapid decline. He publicly stated he had his chosen 1st 11, what would he have done as the injuries mounted up ? 

His charm turned to arrogance and the football was turgid.

Tell you, this Maritimo game has had a hell of a finish. Famalicao were 2-1 down with 5 minutes to go, turned it around to go 3-2 ahead, but deep into injury time Maritimo have made it 3-3!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Sova said:

Tell you, this Maritimo game has had a hell of a finish. Famalicao were 2-1 down with 5 minutes to go, turned it around to go 3-2 ahead, but deep into injury time Maritimo have made it 3-3!

Two red cards in injury time too...