Have to give a manager time..

6 minutes ago, the third man said:

i had no problem not sacking Atkinson when he took us down, because you could see something was there, i just cant anything from Monk at all

To be honest, I'm not sure what point I was trying to make with that rather long post. I do think that it is good for a manager if they can show they can turn bad form around - as Ainsworth has done on multiple occasions over the years, and Monk has failed to do for us so far. Obviously, this has been a terrible year for us. There's been all the off-field stuff to contend with, while on the pitch I've never known us to make so many individual errors, at both ends. True, many of Monk's decisions haven't worked, but without knowing the facts, it's difficult to judge whether he was right to leave out certain players. Even so, I'd probably give him more time, unless we decide to push the boat out and go for a really top-class manager (which doesn't look like it's going to happen).

2 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

To be fair to Monk he has changed the formation to try and make us better and it probably has. But he has the players that are more suited to the other formation. The fact that we are playing wingers as wingbacks and fullbacks at centre back tells me that. 

He deserves at least the start of next season to show what a Monk team looks like. 

How has he made us better?  Using 3-5-2 we've leaked goals like a sieve.  Teams have strolled through the midfield and defence as if they weren't there!

12 minutes ago, Kevan said:

How has he made us better?  Using 3-5-2 we've leaked goals like a sieve.  Teams have strolled through the midfield and defence as if they weren't there!

Think it's more the players dont really suit the way he wants them play in that formation. Naive of him. Maybe. But the other formation wasnt working either was it. 

It's why I am willing to let him have the summer to try and get the players in he needs.

Edited by pazowl55

2 hours ago, the third man said:

Why did have to battle on without his own staff/

because he didn't insist he could bring his own staff in when he got the job, Bruce obviously did

Also Beattie would rather do nothing than work with him anyway, and even if his former no 2 wasn't the manager at Birmingham, he had fallen out with him

I may be wrong, and probably am because I get my info from here, but didn’t he want Beattie and Beattie want to come but Brum kiboshed it. Don’t think it Monks or Beatties choice as such 

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

Surely the first Carlos season proves it doesn't always take a long time to get a team together. However he was building on a good foundation that Stuart Gray put in.

What Monk or someone else should he be sacked has to do is completely start again. Whoever has the job will find it difficult I expect, and need time, as Chris Turner did. Sturrock came in, and Kenwyne, and away we went - but Turner had put the foundations in.

3 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

They didn’t win anything for 4 years. I did not compare Monk to Ferguson. 

In my opinion not winning anything for 4 years at the richest club in the world at the time, is failure. He was fortunate to keep his job then, and the rest is history.

We would have hounded him out, before he had the chance to do what he did.

Man Utd the richest club in the world in 1986 to 1990? Interesting 

1 minute ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Does he? Never once heard him sound remotely intelligent or insightful. He just spouts the standard manager cliches

If he didn't talk in standard manager clichés would it make him a better manager?  He may just find them intensely boring and just goes through the motions.

1 hour ago, daveyboy66 said:

After three losses on the trot the same people who are calling for Monk's head will be doing the same with ANY new manager...the concept of building a team doesn't mean anything to them

I’ll give him until half past 6 garymegson

• Haha 1

The age of giving managers/coaches time is long gone as sad as it is to say, the riches of the EPL, fans wanting immediate success, player power, crazy chairmen take your pick.

Who knows if Monk is right, chance is we will never find out. Bruce said it would take 3 or 4 windows and we respected that as we know the quality we are missing. Monk gets 1 year, with a pandemic, players not signing on for the latter part of the season and we criticise him as a failure.

I've said before I want Monk to stay on as we need a rebuild. But I also think the "right now" mentality of some fans will hound him out much like some of our players 

Just my opinion but I would love a long term manager

• Like 2

I don’t agree with this long term manager stuff . you are better sacking each season if there is no improvement, eventually you will get someone half decent who improves the team. 
sacking managers has usually done us some good. Shreeves saved us in 2001, yorath saved us in 2002, sturrock rescued the promotion season in 2005. Laws kept us up in 2007, megson then Jones got us promoted then gray rescued us from relegation. Jos helped us avoid relegation, then Bruce did the same.

apart from turner and Irvine sacking the manager has worked. 

4 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

I don’t agree with this long term manager stuff . you are better sacking each season if there is no improvement, eventually you will get someone half decent who improves the team. 
sacking managers has usually done us some good. Shreeves saved us in 2001, yorath saved us in 2002, sturrock rescued the promotion season in 2005. Laws kept us up in 2007, megson then Jones got us promoted then gray rescued us from relegation. Jos helped us avoid relegation, then Bruce did the same.

apart from turner and Irvine sacking the manager has worked. 

Yes, imagine had we not sacked old ginger stonks, we’d have still been in League One

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

If he didn't talk in standard manager clichés would it make him a better manager?  He may just find them intensely boring and just goes through the motions.

I find his manager drivel intensely boring

2 hours ago, Striggy said:

I may be wrong, and probably am because I get my info from here, but didn’t he want Beattie and Beattie want to come but Brum kiboshed it. Don’t think it Monks or Beatties choice as such 

Beattie was still being paid by Birmingham, if he wanted he could have come here but he preferred to be paid to be at home then come here and help Monk

5 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

After three losses on the trot the same people who are calling for Monk's head will be doing the same with ANY new manager...the concept of building a team doesn't mean anything to them

Are there any signs of improvement? Any signs that he is building a team? 

It’s soon been a year, and Monk seemingly has no idea how to set up. There are no signs that we are improving as a unit or building our own style of play. Monk seems clueless how to succeed here, evidently by his turn to 3-5-2 without having the players to fit the system. That smacks of desparation. 

I have nothing against the guy, but he will take us down given the opportunity. 

I’m no even saying he is a poor manager, but he has obviously lost his way with us and is long out of his comfort zone. Ever seen a manager turning around a club after months of absolutely disastrous results? No. It never happens. Monk must go. 

• Like 4

4 wins in 22 games 

With a minis 27 goal difference 

And still people think he deserves a chance 

The players are the main t055 pots for this awful season but monk is far from innocent 

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Spondon Owl said:

There's a number of times I've seen this mentioned in threads. I guess the question i ask is why?

There are 25 manages by my count who have served at their respective clubs for over 2 years across the PL and the EFL. 25. Monk is approaching 1 year in the job. As examples or reference points: 

Bielsa -  2 years 38 days

Parker - 1 year 146 days

Cooper - 1 year 40 days

How long does someone need in the job to indicate that a longer tenure would bring benefit? Id say a year should be enough to see what style that person wants to imprint on a club, even if it wont be fully implemented, to understand the qualities they demand from the squad and to see how they tactically approach tricky situations. Monk has shown me nothing positive. But is 321 days simply not enough with "this mammoth task" that people suggest he has had on his hands?

(1) Player embargo,(2) no back room team of his own.(3) Not able to sign players of his ow.n (4) EFL charge hanging over the Club & potentially effecting players ability to focus (5) Enforced Covid 19 layoff (6) Players refusing to sign short term contracts to see the season out (7) player 'injurys'.(8) alleged bad attitudes in the dressing room..etc etc....Ime sure there are other factors i have not included..(Mr Chansiri?) Advisers?..who knows..Hardly fair to compare & contrast Monks time here under your timescale...

Believe me,Mr Chansiri is not having to fend off phone calls from 'Sir Alex Ferguson' pestering him,so he can come out of retirement....Give the man a chance to bring in his own Players..