Have to give a manager time..

3 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Also indicates season ticket sales and walk ups, once allowed will be woefully low if Monk stays. That could be telling regarding P&S rules and be the reason DC will be forced to act. 

Quite possibly so. 

Ideally I'd like a fresh start but the quality of manager available and the time frame would be way too slim for even organised and experienced clubs. I think we will stick with GM on the premise that he won't be given any money just frees and loans and he knows the club and players. Hopefully he's been planning which players he wants to target since March time. 

21 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

To be fair to Monk he has changed the formation to try and make us better and it probably has. But he has the players that are more suited to the other formation. The fact that we are playing wingers as wingbacks and fullbacks at centre back tells me that. 

He deserves at least the start of next season to show what a Monk team looks like. 

I've seen what a Monk team looks like, why change the formation to one that doesn't suit the players you have? We played better for a couple of games and ended with a record of 8 points from 9 games with this new formation, conceding too many goals as has been the case throughout 2020.

2 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Also indicates season ticket sales and walk ups, once allowed will be woefully low if Monk stays. That could be telling regarding P&S rules and be the reason DC will be forced to act. 

That’s the risk DC is taking A decision to stick with a manager who’s stock is so low, will come with all those downsides Personally it’s the same for me, my approach is going to be, ah well he’s still in charge, let’s see if his product can tempt me back. He has it all to prove

1 minute ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I just think he needs time to show what he can do. Too much has been expected of him, given the circumstances in which he took over.

Beyond wanting to see him given more time, what did you see that makes you think thats the right move?

A Good manager starts to make a difference in the first 30 days. A truly great manager does from DAY ONE stamping his authority and ideas straightaway.

Monk hasn't a single tactical idea in his head as far as I'm concerned. Totally chose the wrong profession when he retired from playing.

A manager he aint !

6 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

The majority of our season tickets are usually sold as renewals before the 1st price deadline. This had already been reached before COVID-9 took effect in this country, the club are usually quick to announce when sales have gone well, it was ominously quiet on this front in February, Monk's style of play, particularly at home and the performances Dec-Feb will already have had a negative affect on sales and this combined with the virus, the fact we still have a potential deduction to come and the continued decline of performances and what is left of the squad will see our lowest season ticket sales for some time. 

1 minute ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Nothing wrong with that.

No, and many will feel the same If DC has got this right, and Monk can turn things around, I’ll be back in the fold, and be big enough to say I misjudged him

Been saying it for few years now, the fans want to see instant progress, they will give the manager six months if they aren't in the top six then the baying starts.

Not a fan of Monks in particular, but he's just had a clear out with hints of further players leaving, so do we really want to bring in a new manager at such a crucial time?

• Like 2

If Monk did turn it around here, I’d like to bet on the back of the end of his best season here, he’d f**k off to a better payday somewhere else? He just comes across as that sort of personality to me, use others to further his career, chuck others under a bus if necessary and as long as he’s alright, that’s fine by him?

And I think that’s a big reason why this season has turned out the way it has, the players sussed him out around Christmas and thought f**k that for a game of soldiers?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Morepork said:

Beyond wanting to see him given more time, what did you see that makes you think thats the right move?

He’s not frightened of making tough decisions. He’s not a yes man. He’s battled on without any of his own staff. Given some backing from DC, I honestly believe he can turn this round.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spondon Owl said:

There's a number of times I've seen this mentioned in threads. I guess the question i ask is why?

There are 25 manages by my count who have served at their respective clubs for over 2 years across the PL and the EFL. 25. Monk is approaching 1 year in the job. As examples or reference points: 

Bielsa -  2 years 38 days

Parker - 1 year 146 days

Cooper - 1 year 40 days

How long does someone need in the job to indicate that a longer tenure would bring benefit? Id say a year should be enough to see what style that person wants to imprint on a club, even if it wont be fully implemented, to understand the qualities they demand from the squad and to see how they tactically approach tricky situations. Monk has shown me nothing positive. But is 321 days simply not enough with "this mammoth task" that people suggest he has had on his hands?

It's a cliche, I think it comes from Fergie turning around Man Utd.

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Been saying it for few years now, the fans want to see instant progress, they will give the manager six months if they aren't in the top six then the baying starts.

Not a fan of Monks in particular, but he's just had a clear out with hints of further players leaving, so do we really want to bring in a new manager at such a crucial time?

There are fans like that, but I think the majority of supporters just want to see signs of improvement

15 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I just think he needs time to show what he can do. Too much has been expected of him, given the circumstances in which he took over.

the circumstances he took over were no different than when Bruce took over

Other managers have done a lot better than Monk with other clubs in a lot worse circumstances

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

There are fans like that, but I think the majority of supporters just want to see signs of improvement

If someone turned around to me and said right this is what we want to do and this is how we’re going to do it then I’d be more than happy to give someone time?

And before one of the Cult of Monk the Magnificent turns round and says this is what he’s done? All he’s said is ‘we’re in transition’ ‘I know what a successful dressing room looks like’ ‘young hungry players’ ‘the bigger picture’ ‘I’ll give the fans a side they can be proud of’?

F**k me, anyone of us could say that but if he was open and honest and said right this is what I want to do and this is how I’m going to try to do it then I think even us Monk critics would understand and perhaps lay off him? But he doesn’t do this? He hides behind platitudes and cliches?

The proof in anything is on the pitch and the results and performances since Christmas and the constant conceding of late goals which happened before then are just inexcusable?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

He’s not frightened of making tough decisions. He’s not a yes man. He’s battled on without any of his own staff. Given some backing from DC, I honestly believe he can turn this round.

Why did have to battle on without his own staff/

because he didn't insist he could bring his own staff in when he got the job, Bruce obviously did

Also Beattie would rather do nothing than work with him anyway, and even if his former no 2 wasn't the manager at Birmingham, he had fallen out with him

3 minutes ago, the third man said:

the circumstances he took over were no different than when Bruce took over

Other managers have done a lot better than Monk with other clubs in a lot worse circumstances

Apart from the transfer window being closed and not being able to bring any players in.

• Like 1

Just now, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

I'm not getting into the specifics of Monk ...been done to death but creating future imagined scenarios to get angry about is a bit rich IMO.

I’m not angry Dag. Just giving an opinion on what I think could happen and what has arguably already happened when Monk ditched Leeds to go to Middlesbrough? But if M the M is to stay I want him to succeed because if he doesn’t we’re well and truly f**ked?