Have to give a manager time..

6 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

Alex Ferguson took an age to get Man Utd going. Rumoured to be one game from being sacked at one point. 

Didn't he finish 2nd in like his first season or something daft?

Ignoring the farce of you comparing Monk to Fergie... how is finishing second so early in your tenure at a club "taking an age to get going"?

To be fair to Monk he has changed the formation to try and make us better and it probably has. But he has the players that are more suited to the other formation. The fact that we are playing wingers as wingbacks and fullbacks at centre back tells me that. 

He deserves at least the start of next season to show what a Monk team looks like. 

• Like 1

I'm a believer in people being given time, hell our project looks like it will take longer now than ever, so time is a must.

That being said, to be given time there has to be positive signs, they can be subtle, small even but there has to be something coming back.

I'll say this, after the performances, the results, that second half of the season alone. Would any reasonable person think they'd done enough to keep their job?

• Like 1

seems we need a culture change , a clear out of players , an influx of new  players probably freebies and loans and keep winning while we go thru the process ......good luck to the next poor sap who gets appointed 

5 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Ignoring the farce of you comparing Monk to Fergie... how is finishing second so early in your tenure at a club "taking an age to get going"?

They finished 11th. His first full season they finished 2nd. So as we are comparing Monk to Fergie.. then next season looks promising.🤣

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Are you familiar with the phrase "confirmation bias"?

Yes, thanks.

Is it not common practice in debates / discussions / forums to present information that supports your point of view ?

I am of the opinion that Monk needs - and deserves to be given - time  to turn us into a competitive force in this division.

You’re perfectly entitled to disagree with me and to present information in support of your stance, which I look forward to reading and considering.

This is the very essence of Owlstalk, is it not ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kew Owl said:

This is the very essence of Owlstalk, is it not ?

No its not.....Neil has proven over the last 24hrs that the very essence of OT is to post Gifs of DC and Monk......... lol

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

They didn’t win anything for 4 years. I did not compare Monk to Ferguson. 

In my opinion not winning anything for 4 years at the richest club in the world at the time, is failure. He was fortunate to keep his job then, and the rest is history.

We would have hounded him out, before he had the chance to do what he did.

1 minute ago, Dizzys Dad said:

They didn’t win anything for 4 years. I did not compare Monk to Ferguson. 

In my opinion not winning anything for 4 years at the richest club in the world at the time, is failure. He was fortunate to keep his job then, and the rest is history.

We would have hounded him out, before he had the chance to do what he did.

Are you saying we should give Monk 4 years....?

Edited by Morepork

The question is would you trust Monk with the rebuilding of the team ? His transfer window dealings were poor. Wickham injured and off the pace , Windass average , Da Cruz awfull. If that is his idea of what is required then were dead in the water. If we are to improve I think he has to go now and bring in a manager with some stature and real experience. 

It is chicken and egg.

You get a longer term by bringing something to the club.

Monk has a dismantling job to do first in terms of the squad and then needs to rebuild. That does not make it easy.

However, I am not certain he is the right man to do it.

16 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

The time it'd take to sack Monk and hire a new manager with the challenge of getting a new team together in 48 days indicates Monk will be in charge come Sept 12th. 

Also indicates season ticket sales and walk ups, once allowed will be woefully low if Monk stays. That could be telling regarding P&S rules and be the reason DC will be forced to act. 

20 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

The time it'd take to sack Monk and hire a new manager with the challenge of getting a new team together in 48 days indicates Monk will be in charge come Sept 12th. 

That’s the conclusion I’ve reached Now it’s a case of, let’s hope Monk proves us wrong

2 minutes ago, ZicoSterland2 said:

The question is would you trust Monk with the rebuilding of the team ? His transfer window dealings were poor. Wickham injured and off the pace , Windass average , Da Cruz awfull. If that is his idea of what is required then were dead in the water. If we are to improve I think he has to go now and bring in a manager with some stature and real experience. 

I accept its difficult utilising the loan market but you definitely didn't look at those signings and think yes, I can see he's going for a different type of player or mentality of player. Again, no real sign from Monk that the future under him could be any different.