Have to give a manager time..

There's a number of times I've seen this mentioned in threads. I guess the question i ask is why?

There are 25 manages by my count who have served at their respective clubs for over 2 years across the PL and the EFL. 25. Monk is approaching 1 year in the job. As examples or reference points: 

Bielsa -  2 years 38 days

Parker - 1 year 146 days

Cooper - 1 year 40 days

How long does someone need in the job to indicate that a longer tenure would bring benefit? Id say a year should be enough to see what style that person wants to imprint on a club, even if it wont be fully implemented, to understand the qualities they demand from the squad and to see how they tactically approach tricky situations. Monk has shown me nothing positive. But is 321 days simply not enough with "this mammoth task" that people suggest he has had on his hands?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Spondon Owl said:

There's a number of times I've seen this mentioned in threads. I guess the question i ask is why?

There are 25 manages by my count who have served at their respective clubs for over 2 years across the PL and the EFL. 25. Monk is approaching 1 year in the job. As examples or reference points: 

Bielsa -  2 years 38 days

Parker - 1 year 146 days

Cooper - 1 year 40 days

How long does someone need in the job to indicate that a longer tenure would bring benefit? Id say a year should be enough to see what style that person wants to imprint on a club, even if it wont be fully implemented, to understand the qualities they demand from the squad and to see how they tactically approach tricky situations. Monk has shown me nothing positive. But is 321 days simply not enough with "this mammoth task" that people suggest he has had on his hands?

and that’s key, of course I wouldn’t expect us to be the finished product, but you would expect to see signs of improvement, as you say, an indication There is no indication

• Like 8

Agree managers need time, but whether Monk is the right manager is the question. 

Does a manager with such a poor points return deserve time? Does Monk deserve more time than Jos, for example, who had better results? 

I'd like Monk to succeed, a reluctant advocate of his departure, but even with mitigating factors on and off the pitch, can't ignore results, which are unacceptable.

• Like 8

I think that by and large we're a pretty patient bunch overall. F@ck, sometimes too patient. I know I have been.

Undoubtedly, Monk has had a pretty raw deal in the main, not to mention inheriting a mentally fragile squad of deadbeats and plenty of other issues to deal with. Hell, DC didn't even back him in the coaching department.

I would be happy to give Monk time, if he'd shown me just a handful of positives, a glimmer of hope, something, anything, he hasn't. Unless I've missed it???

As bad as the issues have been this year I think even a half decent manager would have picked up a few more points in that second half of the season from hell. That's a collapse of some magnitude, the home performances, the defensive errors, the stuff of nightmares.

And, if it transpires we did need points from those games after the league restarted it will be unforgivable, we played like we didn't have a care in the world.

Too much water under the bridge for me, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Kew Owl said:

The longest serving manager across the whole of the 4 divisions is Gareth Ainsworth at Wycombe.

Remind me, someone please, did they have a successful season ?

Meaning every other successful manage has had quite a short tenure?

The concencus so far, and I totally agree, is yes yes of course you need time, but there has to be some sign of improvement, some vision that we can buy into. Think this is why Bruce got cut the slack he did, because you could see things were improving, you could see what he was trying to do, and understand from his interviews what the plan was.

Have we seen anything like this from a Monk? No, it’s chopping and changing, crap substitutes that cost us points, inane interviews, and to be honest he doesn’t seem to have a plan beyond the next game ( as per his comments on Adthe and KL). 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I think that by and large we're a pretty patient bunch overall. F@ck, sometimes too patient. I know I have been.

Undoubtedly, Monk has had a pretty raw deal in the main, not to mention inheriting a mentally fragile squad of deadbeats and plenty of other issues to deal with. Hell, DC didn't even back him in the coaching department.

I would be happy to give Monk time, if he'd shown me just a handful of positives, a glimmer of hope, something, anything, he hasn't. Unless I've missed it???

As bad as the issues have been this year I think even a half decent manager would have picked up a few more points in that second half of the season from hell. That's a collapse of some magnitude, the home performances, the defensive errors, the stuff of nightmares.

And, if it transpires we did need points from those games after the league restarted it will be unforgivable, we played like we didn't have a care in the world.

Too much water under the bridge for me, regardless of the rights and wrongs of the situation.

That’s what I can’t get my head around

To go from 3rd to completely collapsing in second half, something has gone on - whatever it is, it’s caused issues on the pitch and that’s why we need a clean slate with new players.

In the opposite direction, Wigan picked up 40 points in the second half - how have they gone from that bad to being that good? Players. Kick up the arse and something has worked.

Its the players - them players would’ve have got more points under another manager perhaps yes, but they’ve decided to collapse amongst themselves and be crap for half a season - good riddance to most of them. Don’t deserve us.

After the restart we showed some good signs.

For that I thought maybe he does need time.

Then either due to a small squad.

Players reverting to type

Tactics didn't take into account player limitations. 

I'm now still unsure.

For all his failings he cannot take responsibility for his squad being poor at finishing and being weak minded.

Is Monk the man? Probably not but don't expect anyone else to come in do massively better with the same squad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TodwickOwl said:

That’s what I can’t get my head around

To go from 3rd to completely collapsing in second half, something has gone on - whatever it is, it’s caused issues on the pitch and that’s why we need a clean slate with new players.

In the opposite direction, Wigan picked up 40 points in the second half - how have they gone from that bad to being that good? Players. Kick up the arse and something has worked.

Its the players - them players would’ve have got more points under another manager perhaps yes, but they’ve decided to collapse amongst themselves and be crap for half a season - good riddance to most of them. Don’t deserve us.

Maybe the players were told who was staying and who was going. Most ayers will always put their career before the club