Paul Cook

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Please don't chuck name calling in like that

It's really tacky 

Conclusion on the quote: “Hell is other people”:

'The No Exit play by Sartre perfectly illustrates the difficult coexistence of people: the fact that others – and their gaze – is what alienates and locks me in a particular kind of being, which in turn deprives me of my freedom'

It means the supposed 'difficult' players, and the ineffective Monk are unable to change, fulfill their potential, as long as they are locked together under each others gaze. Monk always falls out with people, scapegoats them and then the situation gets worse. It happens at every club. Monk might resurrect his career, but not with us. The 'difficult' players, so highly rated a short time ago, can be great for us again, or some other club, but not with Monk. It's not name calling its called a literary reference.

2 minutes ago, swissmess said:

Conclusion on the quote: “Hell is other people”:

'The No Exit play by Sartre perfectly illustrates the difficult coexistence of people: the fact that others – and their gaze – is what alienates and locks me in a particular kind of being, which in turn deprives me of my freedom'

It means the supposed 'difficult' players, and the ineffective Monk are unable to change, fulfill their potential, as long as they are locked together under each others gaze. Monk always falls out with people, scapegoats them and then the situation gets worse. It happens at every club. Monk might resurrect his career, but not with us. The 'difficult' players, so highly rated a short time ago, can be great for us again, or some other club, but not with Monk. It's not name calling its called a literary reference.

What literary reference where you recalling when you said "Bullshitter  Monk as manager" ?

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Exactly

But you can absolutely guarantee that those posting 'get cook in' don't even know the facts and that this is the case

It's just the latest trendy manager name to chuck around and demand to try and sound cool to everyone on the internet

In reality Cook's record up to the turn of the year was Played 25 won 4 drawn 8 lost 13 

If you don't think that is a good enough record with a modest squad like Wigan then I am surprised you think Monk is a good choice when he has led us to less points than that in the second half of the season.

Furthermore, Cook has shown in that record that he was able to turn things around with the same squad and vastly improve results while Monk has took us in the opposite direction. 

Cook also has a track record of success in management. 

Nothing to do with looking trendy, it is based on facts.

Just now, Manwë said:

And the games before this?

Talk about selective stats.

To be fair it was all I could find. I think since Xmas Wigan have done well. We haven’t. It wasn’t meant to be selective. 

Just now, @owlstalk said:

Do the first half of the season

Yes, We were third. Shows how poor we have been.

It was just an alternative view.

Cook is up and coming.

Monk is not. He has tried and failed. No major achievements. 

Just now, heppers said:

Yes, We were third. Shows how poor we have been.

It was just an alternative view.

Cook is up and coming.

Monk is not. He has tried and failed. No major achievements. 

I'm more interested in seeing Cook's form over that time

You know...

To show how 'up and coming' he is

Owlstalk Shop

What’s with this Paul cook fascination out of nowhere? I don’t like monk but he’s our manager and not going anywhere 

Has cook dragged Wigan from the conference to the premier or have I missed something?

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

What’s with this Paul cook fascination out of nowhere? I don’t like monk but he’s our manager and not going anywhere 

Has cook dragged Wigan from the conference to the premier or have I missed something?

Well you know when one person mentions another manager at another club?

The latest manager's name that everyone's talking about?

The latest trending manager?

Then everyone jumps on the bandwagon, quoting and throwing their name around to sound all educated on the subject?

Then taking everyone else's facts, quotes and stats that are posted and passing them off as your own whilst throwing his name around in threads?

THAT

(it works the same way with quotes about how Monk always falls out with his dressing room, and cant' turn it around when he started to slide at other clubs - just quotes that are repeated without the poster knowing ANY of the facts - they just repeat what they've seen because it fits their agenda to get rid of the manager)

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Well it seems Monk haters only have a specific interest in just the second half so it's only fair

It is a forum. It is out of season.

What do you want people to talk about? Discussing available managers seems fairly topical given our form. 

Maybe turn Owlstalk into a blog and give us a daily post.

You could calls it “Neil says....”

”Views from Whitby......”

”Opinions from a baggy sleeve.....”

I’d like it. At least I would know what to think.

7 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Well it seems Monk haters only have a specific interest in just the second half so it's only fair

See, you have a go at other users for calling Monk names but then call those who question his record 'haters'.

I am not a hater, I just have an opinion that he has been a poor manager for us and I think someone else could do a better job.

Managers are judged on their form. Monk's shows a definite downward trend which is why the second half of the reason - being the most recent form is highlighted.

Carlos had a bad first half of the 2017-18 season and was sacked as a result. No one points towards the previous 23 games he had in charge when looking at the results that led to his dismissal.

Its not just results either, its performances and the lack of a sign that most of the things he implements have any positive impact.