Keeper

4 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't think we should be surprised that Westwood is a way way better goalkeeper than a couple of young lads in the Under 23's

It's not even a debate

The real debate should be what did Westwood do (again) at the club to get him frozen out and why is he always 'injured'?

Good move away from your initial 'clanger after clanger' post on this issue.

Wildsmith is 24 years old and has been given 2 good opportunities to put himself forward for the number 1 spot, he's not just a young lad anymore, though the fact he hasn't had a proper loan spell anywhere has hindered his chance to progress. Likewise Dawson who is now 25.

As previously stated, Westwood was given a new contract by a new manager after the first time he was cast aside so whatever he did can't have been deemed all that serious. 

He has been cast aside again, if it was that serious then would termination of contract not come into the equation? 

His attitude to being dropped and not being available for the bench is very very poor but this isn't something the club can allow to rumble on. We will have effectively have paid him handsomely, the best paid keeper at the club by a distance, for sitting at home for 2 years.

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I often wonder if our fans would back players if they were privy to the stuff that got them frozen out, booted out, contract not renewed etc etc

Support the CLUB not the individual players and you can't go wrong

Are you privy to this stuff? Why not tell us? 

Guest LondonOwl313
4 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Wildsmith is 24 years old and has been given 2 good opportunities to put himself forward for the number 1 spot, he's not just a young lad anymore, though the fact he hasn't had a proper loan spell anywhere has hindered his chance to progress. Likewise Dawson who is now 25.

As previously stated, Westwood was given a new contract by a new manager after the first time he was cast aside so whatever he did can't have been deemed all that serious. 

He has been cast aside again, if it was that serious then would termination of contract not come into the equation? 

His attitude to being dropped and not being available for the bench is very very poor but this isn't something the club can allow to rumble on. We will have effectively have paid him handsomely, the best paid keeper at the club by a distance, for sitting at home for 2 years.

How do we know he's refused to sit on the bench? He was on the bench for one game, think it was Forest away. His last game was West Brom which was 3 weeks and 4 matches prior to that. So we could assume he picked up a knock against WBA which put him out for 3 weeks, and in the interim 4 games we conceded 1 goal in each of them with Dawson in goal.

It all depends on what was said. You'd assume that Monk initially said Dawson keeps the shirt as he's done ok which is fair enough. But whatever was said Westwood still turned up to sit on the bench after that. The week after he'd disappeared and we never saw him again. Maybe he's a bit needy and asked for assurances he was still number 1 or something, which Monk wouldn't give... tbf Dawson had done well at that point so they probably hoped he'd push on, which he didn't. Maybe he is just awkward and childish when not picked. Have a hard time thinking a 35 year old man who's been playing nearly 20 years would be like that though. Surely if the manager just said I'm picking the team on merit and its Dawsons shirt to lose now, but you'll get your opportunity if performance levels drop, he'd have accepted that. It's poor man management to think this wasn't left amicably so that the option is there when Dawson's performances were deserving of being dropped, which came maybe 3 games after the Forest one.

3 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

How do we know he's refused to sit on the bench? He was on the bench for one game, think it was Forest away. His last game was West Brom which was 3 weeks and 4 matches prior to that. So we could assume he picked up a knock against WBA which put him out for 3 weeks, and in the interim 4 games we conceded 1 goal in each of them with Dawson in goal.

It all depends on what was said. You'd assume that Monk initially said Dawson keeps the shirt as he's done ok which is fair enough. But whatever was said Westwood still turned up to sit on the bench after that. The week after he'd disappeared and we never saw him again. Maybe he's a bit needy and asked for assurances he was still number 1 or something, which Monk wouldn't give... tbf Dawson had done well at that point so they probably hoped he'd push on, which he didn't. Maybe he is just awkward and childish when not picked. Have a hard time thinking a 35 year old man who's been playing nearly 20 years would be like that though. Surely if the manager just said I'm picking the team on merit and its Dawsons shirt to lose now, but you'll get your opportunity if performance levels drop, he'd have accepted that. It's poor man management to think this wasn't left amicably so that the option is there when Dawson's performances were deserving of being dropped, which came maybe 3 games after the Forest one.

Fair points, I was just trying to see both sides of a possible debate on this but your alternative is as plausible without any evidence of what actually went off.

Of curse there are then those who tell us we might have a different opinion if we were privy to what happened - but then they don't actually know what happened either or for some reason refuse to reveal this key information.

Guest Therealrealist
5 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Fair points, I was just trying to see both sides of a possible debate on this but your alternative is as plausible without any evidence of what actually went off.

Of curse there are then those who tell us we might have a different opinion if we were privy to what happened - but then they don't actually know what happened either or for some reason refuse to reveal this key information.

If he ever refused to sit on the bench he wud av been in breach of contract..no player is goin to risk a million quid cus he wont sit on the bench

Guest Therealrealist

And another tjing..our last decent manager deemed him worthy of a bumper 2 year deal..@owlstalks bff bully loves him..its obvious monk just dosnt like him

39 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I don't think we should be surprised that Westwood is a way way better goalkeeper than a couple of young lads in the Under 23's

It's not even a debate

The real debate should be what did Westwood do (again) at the club to get him frozen out and why is he always 'injured'?

I’ve heard stories from a couple of fans that have met Westwood and apparently he’s a bit of a helmet. Chris Kirkland said in a recent podcast that he’d heard stories that he was “a bit of a wrong en” when he signed for Wednesday. Plus for ROI and Wednesday he always seems to pick up an injury when he’s asked to sit on the bench

• Like 1
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, Django said:

I’ve heard stories from a couple of fans that have met Westwood and apparently he’s a bit of a helmet. Chris Kirkland said in a recent podcast that he’d heard stories that he was “a bit of a wrong en” when he signed for Wednesday. Plus for ROI and Wednesday he always seems to pick up an injury when he’s asked to sit on the bench

also he said he had no problems with him ,

17 hours ago, onlyonedavidhirst said:

None of us know what went on with Westwood, or Hutch for that matter, but I’m not convinced it’s because they are bad sorts. 

Imagine this possibility.  Hi Westy, we need you to take a pay cut as the club has made some bad financial decisions which could lead to FFP problems. Plus we have a couple of understudies that are knocking on the door. 
“Well that’s the 2nd time you’ve tried this, first under Jos, then Steve sorted things out, now you are coming up with the same argument. Have you done the same with Fessi, Fletch, Jordan and Hutch”

We’ve spoken to Hutch, we can’t afford to do it with Fletch as he’s the only striker performing right now and as you know, we’ve dropped Fessi and Jordan due to them not agreeing to it.

”I don’t think it’s fair, this is a pre-negotiated contract and much as I love the club, I’m not going to be the first to take a cut”

ok, but you do know you’ll be dropped the next time you make a howler.

We are to quick to jump to conclusions in certain situations, I’m not buying the idea that they are bad uns because 2 managers dropped them and had issues, I tend to think they are strong personalities who probably stood up for themselves. In fact, the fact some players refused to play the last few games suggests to me that players do feel like they’ve not been treated well. Bruce, Carlos and Bullen all spoke in glowing terms about them, the truth is probably that they are great players to have around the dressing room, they are excellent on the pitch, but they have strong minds and won’t be mistreated. Their silence during it all and at the end of the season suggests they are professional and have a great deal of time for the club and the fans, but feel they’ve not been treated well and just want to move on. 

Once upon a time,in a land far away,there lived a handsome prince........explain how allegedly recieving wages with every chance of reaching Millionairenstatus whilst at the Club,= treated badly?  You REALLY believe what you have posted? https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/huge-wage-bill-helps-double-sheffield-wednesdays-losses-year-year-337482

Edited by parajack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Wildsmith one for the future? He is 24 years old. He should have had a proper spell on loan somewhere by now to gain competitive experience and assess his ability and progress.

As for being a good number 2 to whoever we get in, what are you suggesting we do with Westwood? He isn't going anywhere with 1 year left on a good contract, unless we pay him off.

He should have shown more support for the other keepers and willingness to fight for his place/sit on the bench no doubt. 

Plenty of players have 'difficult personality traits' though. It's about being able to manage them effectively. More than half of the managers we have had since he has been here have been able to do that. Some ex keepers including ones that have played for us have also said they haven't had an issue with him.

Exactly only 50% of the managers that says more about Westwood's attitude than the managers. Only 1 coach said that and it was Rhodes probably the best keeper coach we have had ,ever. Also got the best out of Wildsmith and Dawson. The problem with KW is he thinks he knows best and that does not fit with managers.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

People applaud the players that signed till the rest of the season to help us out, and criticise Fletcher and Fox for clearing off, but stick up for Westwood who continually gets 'injured'

Living in the past..(fan base) not to mention a really good pair of 'Rose tinted glass's'..No one likes to reference the fact that United,are now on their second spell in the top flight,(Whilst we are languishing in the doldrums) whilst managing to find & sell on decent players at a profit.

There was a allegedly a bad dressing room attitude,we the fans havnt been told  why,though we have asked repeatedly. 'hints' & not so discrete interviews have given us clues as to where the issues lay,but by & large,we have had to join up the dots ourselves.

I know who I hold responsible.....& it ISNT our Manager....like the late,great Brucie used to say..Higher?..Lower?...Certainly come the deduction we are going to have to play our cards right..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

How many players can you name out of all the footballers in the uk that have had their contracts terminated midway through? It very very rarely happens and it’s mostly after they have been found guilty of a criminal offence. Players contracts are watertight, all they have to do is say my leg, shoulder, arm or whatever hurts and nobody can prove otherwise.

• Love 1