Keeper

None of us know what went on with Westwood, or Hutch for that matter, but I’m not convinced it’s because they are bad sorts. 

Imagine this possibility.  Hi Westy, we need you to take a pay cut as the club has made some bad financial decisions which could lead to FFP problems. Plus we have a couple of understudies that are knocking on the door. 
“Well that’s the 2nd time you’ve tried this, first under Jos, then Steve sorted things out, now you are coming up with the same argument. Have you done the same with Fessi, Fletch, Jordan and Hutch”

We’ve spoken to Hutch, we can’t afford to do it with Fletch as he’s the only striker performing right now and as you know, we’ve dropped Fessi and Jordan due to them not agreeing to it.

”I don’t think it’s fair, this is a pre-negotiated contract and much as I love the club, I’m not going to be the first to take a cut”

ok, but you do know you’ll be dropped the next time you make a howler.

We are to quick to jump to conclusions in certain situations, I’m not buying the idea that they are bad uns because 2 managers dropped them and had issues, I tend to think they are strong personalities who probably stood up for themselves. In fact, the fact some players refused to play the last few games suggests to me that players do feel like they’ve not been treated well. Bruce, Carlos and Bullen all spoke in glowing terms about them, the truth is probably that they are great players to have around the dressing room, they are excellent on the pitch, but they have strong minds and won’t be mistreated. Their silence during it all and at the end of the season suggests they are professional and have a great deal of time for the club and the fans, but feel they’ve not been treated well and just want to move on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Westwood made a few mistakes so all of a sudden is past it. 

If Monk goes Westwood will be our number 1 next season. If he stays then I hope we can get him off the wage bill and bring in either Darlow or Ruddy on a free. 

• Like 1

Guest LondonOwl313

Problem is with Westwood now is that he’s spent 9 months sat about not doing anything. He managed to come back just as good after 12 months out for injuries and Jos in 2018, but each time you do it it gets harder to come back as good as before. He’s not getting any younger.

The other two aren’t good enough period. We have 4 keepers and have question marks against the number 1 and crosses against the other 3. Without a new manager we’ll never see if Westwood is good enough still anyway

1 hour ago, Beholder said:

It's a key position.

We haven't got it sorted. Neither Dawson or Wildsmith are good enough. 

Westwood is a class above. But our absolute travesty of a manager decided he couldn't be in the same dressing room. 

Either we need a keeper or we need a new manager who will bring Westwood back. Preferably the latter.

So let me get this straight, if we go down the new manager route, we have to find one who will play Westwood?  I bet Westwood  and his ego would love that one!  Personally I think handing Westwood a new 2 year contract is another in the long list of very poor decisions made by the club.

54 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Westwood was dropping clanger after clanger

How many is clanger after clanger? That's imprecise. And how many clangers has the manager dropped since then?

image.png.7ba72a9da749056afdff5bc9064eff49.png

Edited by rickygoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Abysmal? Conceded 15 goals in 14 matches.

How many errors cost us goals .he give swansea 2 in 1 game

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Westwood was dropping clanger after clanger last time he was allowed to play

The two young lads aren't good enough (and probably won't ever be)

We have four goalkeepers on the books and yet we need a new goalkeeper

Well run club

18 months ago i thought we were blessed with 2 excellent young prospects but i've now got serious doubts. I thought Dawson was the better of the 2 but I don't think either of them have the temperament to cope with making mistakes or a run of poor form.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, trevdi9 said:

and both managers were / failing , failed 

Most managers fail eventually. That’s football for you. If Westwood was a strong dressing room influence (IF) would you rather players like that or a strong manager?

1 hour ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Without going over all ground when Westwood is a regular over the course of a season, we conceded less than 50 goals.

When he shares the gloves with the two rookies we concede over 60. 

When Westwood played regularly in the 2nd half of last season we conceded 22 goals and only 20 in the first half of this season. 

He’s our best keeper regardless of whether some think he’s past it or not?

• Like 2

Just now, Swiss Toni said:

Most managers fail eventually. That’s football for you. If Westwood was a strong dressing room influence (IF) would you rather players like that or a strong manager?

I would have the strongest team possible on the pitch anything else should be sorted at seasons end and not halfway through the season , that is where you win the points , monk and Joss both dropped said players and when they did it made us weaker , having the right manager would help , and sorry but Monk is not that man, that said other managers could work with them , so why couldn't monk or jos ,points are won on the pitch and not in the dressing room , look at where we are and the difference to where we were when  the two trouble causers were playing , there is a saying in football , try to change a players mindset and you get half the player , hutch and westwood were strong minded players they are players you need in a battle  we let that go and replaced them with weak players and we are where we are because of it 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

and  5 of them were down to him ........he wasnt playing well when he was left out , if he'd have took his turn on the bench and bided his time he'd probably be back in the side but it seems that helping dawson or wildsmith warm up  isnt  summat he's prepared to do.......i may  be wrong but everytime he's dropped he seems to pick up a long term injury thats stops him sitting on the bench . 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, trevdi9 said:

I would have the strongest team possible on the pitch anything else should be sorted at seasons end and not halfway through the season , that is where you win the points , monk and Joss both dropped said players and when they did it made us weaker , having the right manager would help , and sorry but Monk is not that man, that said other managers could work with them , so why couldn't monk or jos ,points are won on the pitch and not in the dressing room , look at where we are and the difference to where we were when  the two trouble causers were playing , there is a saying in football , try to change a players mindset and you get half the player , hutch and westwood were strong minded players they are players you need in a battle  we let that go and replaced them with weak players and we are where we are because of it 

I haven’t a clue what went on but there were clearly clashes in personalities. Yes I agree you need the best players on the pitch but ultimately you want the best TEAM. 

Think times have moved on now and Hutchinson has gone and Westwood will probably follow. None of us seem sure if there’s a plan in place for a new manager, contract for Monk or new players.