Worst season in memory

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I do think the internet and radio phone ins have made fans less patient then they were in years gone by, (And they weren't that patient then).
But also think the money involved has played a big part in fans demanding almost instant success. 

I can remember it cost £5 POTG on the Kop in 1990, that is £11.50 in todays money.
If you pay more for a product you expect a better standard.

This might sound a bit soft to some but in my younger days when more or less the same 11 players turned out for the Wednesday week in or week out I absolutely worshipped every man Jack of them win lose or draw. Of course I’d have a moan at games but if anybody criticised individuals I’d stick up for them as if they’d had a pop at one of my family and that’s what’s changed. Players are no longer heroes to fans, they’re only as good as their last couple of games and so even the best constantly swing from hero to zero and back even in good seasons. Cutting even those who deserve it a bit of slack seems to be a thing of the past as is the really close long term protective bond between fans and players. I’ve got to admit it still hurts to see one of our lads being openly criticised or even abused online but that’s probably just down to me not accepting change.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 11:43, SallyCinnamon said:

That tops it for me.

That was painful. Absolute dog poo  at Hillsborough. A handful of good away performances. But largely a side who looked soft as hell making countless mistakes. And finally not one player I look at and think I’m proud he plays for my club. All of them just don’t connect with the fanbase anymore and neither does the manager.

Not to forget the season was ruined thanks to mismanagement which has seen the threat of a points deduction loom over us from the beginning. And that’s still not resolved.

I’ve been going since 2001 and that campaign was hands down the worst. On the face of it you would have thought the two relegation seasons were worse and the seasons we struggled in League One. But for some reason I found this one more painful. My entire enthusiasm for the football club was drained, genuine apathy which I’ve never felt before, a real disconnect from the club. Can’t put my finger on the exact reason but I really struggled to care this season. 

I really sympathise with anyone who started after 99-00 as it’s been more or less crap for most of those 20 years. My first real season, when I attended regularly , was 79-80 so I was lucky enough to experience the rollercoaster of the Charlton/Wilkinson/Atkinson/Francis years. Since 2000 I’ve been a part timer choosing games here and there. I still love Wednesday but sad to say it’s easy not to go anymore!

On 23/07/2020 at 11:43, SallyCinnamon said:

That tops it for me.

That was painful. Absolute dog poo  at Hillsborough. A handful of good away performances. But largely a side who looked soft as hell making countless mistakes. And finally not one player I look at and think I’m proud he plays for my club. All of them just don’t connect with the fanbase anymore and neither does the manager.

Not to forget the season was ruined thanks to mismanagement which has seen the threat of a points deduction loom over us from the beginning. And that’s still not resolved.

I’ve been going since 2001 and that campaign was hands down the worst. On the face of it you would have thought the two relegation seasons were worse and the seasons we struggled in League One. But for some reason I found this one more painful. My entire enthusiasm for the football club was drained, genuine apathy which I’ve never felt before, a real disconnect from the club. Can’t put my finger on the exact reason but I really struggled to care this season. 

Nah! Only 2001? You need a few more years under your belt to know what a bad season really looks like. In years to come, you'll look favourably  on these glory days and wish you were back here....

Far from worst season I can remember and that dates back longer than 2001, but even so, far from the worst. A lit of off pitch bs that has taken its toll, and we need both EFL resolved and hopefully less of Covid and gradually getting back to a new normal, so that it's all about performances on the pitch.

And either DC gets enormous help going forward or we need him to find us new owners with more competency about running a football club. He's had a go at learning the ropes while running it and there's been costly mistakes, and we will not improve unless those get ironed out. And Monk hasn't succeeded, and doesn't get to have the summer in my book, far too few points and failure to instil proper motivation and winning attitude in the squad. Instead just more apologies every time we don't perform. And I'm glad we've got a few contracts expiring and hopefully we can change a lot of our squad early on.