Worst season in memory

1 minute ago, Ray Von shabba said:

Much the same.

I guess it seems worse because there are fewer distractions now, like work etc. old age creeping up and we have time to reflect daily.

The wife provided me with a light bulb moment last night just after the match had finished and I was on the laptop, quote:

'Why are you still on that thing (forum) at this time'

'Cos I need to keep up with what's going on'

'That's probably why you're so ratty all the time'

Point taken I guess.

At least you guys get the option of logging off

I have to be here to police this thing and stop the nutters posting nutter stuff

lol

• Haha 1

Owlstalk Shop

I hear there's a book out about the mid-70s. Told it's quite good 😊😊

What strikes me about that era is how many fans feel a fondness/nostalgia for it. The team struggled, but generally tried hard, and the fans stuck together. 

Its difficult to see how there'll be much nostalgia for this season in years to come. 

That said, I think there have been worse times even in more recent years. The decline from 2000-2004 was pretty grim. Irvine's relegation in 2010 also. 

I’ve only been watching Wednesday since 1993. Something about this season just sticks in the throat. Not sure if it’s simply because it’s the most recent rubbish season, Bruce leaving, Houghton not being interested, GM being appalling, or the constant late goals and car crash that has all been so predictable. But perhaps it’s the wasted opportunity. For once we had a chairman willing to plough money into the club and it looks like it’s all been wasted and somehow I doubt we’ll see that kind of investment again.  

• Like 1

The 70s were awful, relegation from the first to bottom of the old third division, home games with less than 10,000 in the ground and staring into the abyss of division four. It took a very special man to come and save us, thanks Jack..

But the second half of this season in terms of points has been an absolute stinker and I can’t remember losing so many games in the last few minutes..

Yet we still don’t know what division we will be playing in next season..

• Like 1

I loathed Burtenshaw, Turner and Irvive with a passion.

I already have the same view of bullshitter Monk.

Is anyone taken in by the "I see the big picture and we are going on a journey" nonsense mgt speak.

It is a results business and bullshitter Monk gets dreadful results.

2 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

That tops it for me.

That was painful. Absolute dog poo  at Hillsborough. A handful of good away performances. But largely a side who looked soft as hell making countless mistakes. And finally not one player I look at and think I’m proud he plays for my club. All of them just don’t connect with the fanbase anymore and neither does the manager.

Not to forget the season was ruined thanks to mismanagement which has seen the threat of a points deduction loom over us from the beginning. And that’s still not resolved.

I’ve been going since 2001 and that campaign was hands down the worst. On the face of it you would have thought the two relegation seasons were worse and the seasons we struggled in League One. But for some reason I found this one more painful. My entire enthusiasm for the football club was drained, genuine apathy which I’ve never felt before, a real disconnect from the club. Can’t put my finger on the exact reason but I really struggled to care this season. 

Compare how you feel now to how optimistic you felt this time last year with Bruce in charge that is how far we have fallen in 1 season and with Monk still not sacked things can only get worse.

• Like 2

Guest LondonOwl313

One other point is that it feels like the gap between the Premier League and Championship has never been bigger. The fact that Utd have managed a top half finish is nothing short of a miracle, using them as a blueprint isn't really a goer because they're so untypical vs other clubs who've achieved success.

In the past after relegation, so in the 2000s, it felt like the ownership issues and debt levels were holding us back but it always felt like if we were taken over and those issues resolved that we'd be able to compete at the top end of the division again.

When we were taken over by Milan it felt like a new dawn because finances wouldn't hold us back. That was true in League 1 but quickly became clear in the Championship that we weren't going to invest enough to push on. We did really need a takeover at the time that Chansiri came in.

Given the gulf in finances are growing, the investment made in 2015 was what was required just to make us competitive. I see a lot of misguided posts suggesting that we underachieved given the money spent, but the reality is thats what you need to spend generally to guarantee a top 6 finish, which we did with 6th and 4th.

I think the apathy is because we've wasted that opportunity. We've traded in the transfer market poorly as some squad turnover and selling players for fees and reinvestment would mean we now would still have a good team rather than the rubbish we're left with. The truth is now we're further away from promotion than we have been in a long time.

Because to achieve it its going to require a 2015 style investment, and the Chairman doesn't look like he has that in him again. He also doesn't look like cutting his losses and letting someone else have a go either, so we're left treading water.

Add on top the uncertainty re points deductions and the likelihood that its going to result in relegation either this season or next, it feels like another PL promotion push is at least 3 years away, maybe more if we get stuck in League 1 for a few years. Given we felt like we were almost there in 2015-2017, having to wait until 2023 at best, and longer at worst, feels like an unacceptable length of time. Especially when ticket prices are this high and our rivals are flying high. 

The only thing that would make things feel better is a satisfactory resolution with the EFL and Chansiri coming out and showing some leadership, telling us what investment he intends to make to get us back up there, or even admitting he wants out. Can't see either of those things happening though so we're in limbo. Definitely the worst time to support Wednesday for me, and I've been going since 1995.

3 hours ago, Lythamowl said:

you lucky sod sally, I've been enduring this since 1973.......

You're both lucky.

Enduring since 1960. I was a little lad in 66, 2-0 up in the cup final at half time. The cup was ours..................oh how I cried at the final whistle. It's always someone else's club who wins, never mine.

3 hours ago, SallyCinnamon said:

That tops it for me.

That was painful. Absolute dog poo  at Hillsborough. A handful of good away performances. But largely a side who looked soft as hell making countless mistakes. And finally not one player I look at and think I’m proud he plays for my club. All of them just don’t connect with the fanbase anymore and neither does the manager.

Not to forget the season was ruined thanks to mismanagement which has seen the threat of a points deduction loom over us from the beginning. And that’s still not resolved.

I’ve been going since 2001 and that campaign was hands down the worst. On the face of it you would have thought the two relegation seasons were worse and the seasons we struggled in League One. But for some reason I found this one more painful. My entire enthusiasm for the football club was drained, genuine apathy which I’ve never felt before, a real disconnect from the club. Can’t put my finger on the exact reason but I really struggled to care this season. 

Sally, you are lucky as your memory is shorter. I have been going to Hillsborough since 1955 and we have had many much better seasons but also, many much worse. A lot of the 1970s and some of the 2000s were worse. We should never have got to this point ever again and have learned nothing from our past failures and I agree with your general sentiments. To be 20 years out of the top league, a club record in 153 years, and still so far away is a disgrace. I now doubt that I will live to see us back where we should belong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LondonOwl313 said:

The only thing that would make things feel better is a satisfactory resolution with the EFL and Chansiri coming out and showing some leadership, telling us what investment he intends to make to get us back up there, or even admitting he wants out. 

Bingo!

Guest Therealrealist

People bleating on about the 70s are totally missing the point..in them days it cost next to nothin to get in..the players wer rubbish but honest triers on a low wage..we didnt expect anything from them..totally different to the shower we have now..i agree with the op..this is as bad as anything thats gone b4

Guest gizowl

The early 70s were bad but as each season ended we always seemed to have optimism for the following season, chairman speeches saying we'll never be in this situation again etc. But atm we just don't know what the fig is going on,EFL charges etc. and the chairman hides away and gives no reason for hope and things getting better . Leadership starts at the top, we need to know he's still fully committed and will do everything possible to get things right, if he's not then sell us if he can and fizz off. Time to play it straight with our fantastically loyal supporters and let us know your intentions. 

I've been going since 59/60 & we've been in worse positions league wise & had the disappointments of  relegations but for some reason I feel more despondent on our current plight than I've ever been & although I've bought the early bird season ticket I don't think I've been less excited about a new season as I am now.

Maybe it's the realisation that the initial optimism from DC's first season has turned into broken dreams with the club in the media limelight for all the wrong reasons & our neighbours overtaking us & lording it with the big boys in the Premier for relatively little outlay.

Maybe a couple of health issues has changed my focus but whatever it is I've not felt this despondent about life as a Wednesdayite.

Edited by mogbad