Worst season in memory

35 minutes ago, stabbo said:

The relegation to League One after the Palace 2-2. That season and the League One season after. They were worse.

This was worse than either of those two seasons for me.

We weren’t charged by the EFL in those seasons, we scored more than 19 home goals and we probably had a better squad than we’ve ended up with now. We also had Gary Megson and Milan Mandaric.

And the pigs and Leeds were both in a mess then too. Leeds were only promoted out of league one in 2010 after being down there for 3 years, the pigs were relegated into league one in 2011. Those two clubs are further ahead of us now than they’ve ever been in the last 40 years 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, stabbo said:

The relegation to League One after the Palace 2-2. That season and the League One season after. They were worse.

49 minutes ago, Owls_fan_since_1983 said:

2010 season and year after comes below this season for me. 

09/10 was a traumatic season, absolutely shocking.

But I feel 10/11 is an under-appreciated season.  There were some rough performances in there of course; e.g. losing 5-1 away at Exeter City & 4-0 away at Leyton Orient in the space of a month being the real low point.

But put it this way, I’d rather have Mandaric, Aldridge and Megson in charge at S6 than the jokers we’ve got right now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

This was worse than either of those two seasons for me.

We weren’t charged by the EFL in those seasons, we scored more than 19 home goals and we probably had a better squad than we’ve ended up with now. We also had Gary Megson and Milan Mandaric.

And the pigs and Leeds were both in a mess then too. Leeds were only promoted out of league one in 2010 after being down there for 3 years, the pigs were relegated into league one in 2011. Those two clubs are further ahead of us now than they’ve ever been in the last 40 years 

Do you think this season is worse because 3-4 seasons ago we looked like a club that was going places?

• Like 1

Guest mkowl

I think it is the combination of various things.

Poor results to start with

Poor performances to go with those poor results. Even when we were 3rd it never felt sustainable

The EFL charge

All the SAG / SYP nonsense.

Lack of visibility from the owner.

The ludicrous season ticket packages 10 year tickets that last 15 sort of thing

The results of our neighbours and the sense they had got it right and are for now a long way ahead of us

The sense of a lost opportunity

The fear the future could be worse than the present

I have seen worse managers, players 

I have seen owners / directors that are woeful

I have seen us floundering in a lower league.

For me it is the simple fact when Mr C walked into the club 5 and a bit years ago the hope was those historical issues were in the past. The nagging fear was the "typical Wednesday" outcome. The fact is we are in no way ahead of where we were, potentially not even at the bottom of a curve.

Having seen all this the question is do I have the stamina to go through this 

7 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

It may be the worst season you have seen in 19 years, and I feel for you, never having seen success at the club you have chosen to watch, but believe me, the 1974/5-5/6 seasons were much, much worse.

this season reminds me so much of that time, the only difference being we have the money to spend, even if we are not allowed to spend it, this time round.

At the start of the 1974/5 season we did not even have enough money to pay for a grounds man to cut the pitch.

They were but one good thing came out of that period...we were so bad at home that going away and having a laugh became more important as we took it on the chin and that was the start of our great away support. I'm not sure that the fans of today would be able to do that...the sense of self-entitlement is too great.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, darra said:

Think some seasons in the 70s might top it.

1974/75 was probably the worse season I can recall but the home form since Xmas just about goes down as equal to that , I'm not sure our results at Hillsborough have ever been this bad in a run of 12 matches ? We collected 6 points , that is absymal by anyone's standards.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Do you think this season is worse because 3-4 seasons ago we looked like a club that was going places?

Possibly but 19 goals at home all season is inexcusable. It’s been dire.

And seeing those two clubs leave us behind (on and off the pitch) in the last 3 years has exacerbated that 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

What I will say to those who hark back to the 70s...

Remember for the younger generation like myself we never experienced the good times under Jack Charlton or the glory days of the 90s. We don’t know it. Since I’ve been going we’ve been nothing but crap and yet growing up our Dads and Grandads tell us how such a big club we are and how great we were in the 90s with Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan and co. But we never experienced it.

In reality for us we’ve been a yo yo club between League One and the Championship with a couple of seasons under Carlos where we punched above our weight. 

The younger Wednesdayite really deserves better.

I'll tell you a truth.

Life's not fair so dont expect it to be and you will be a happier human being.

You dont deserve better any more than the lucky younger Bournemouth fans who saw their Russian petrodollar fuelled team playing in the Premiership instead of Division 4 deserve worse. 

That's not how deserving works in real life, sorry.

Edited by Nero
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

They were but one good thing came out of that period...we were so bad at home that going away and having a laugh became more important as we took it on the chin and that was the start of our great away support. I'm not sure that the fans of today would be able to do that...the sense of self-entitlement is too great.

I agree that fans are a lot more self-entitled these days. I think things like social media and the cost of going has contributed to that.

But I have read a few times how modern fans would stop going if we were as bad as the mid 70s but looking at the attendances figures from that time many supporters then stop going. If we went down to League 1 I don't think attendances would get below 10,000 and we would still sell out most away games.

Been watching Wednesday since the early seventies......Never felt more distant from the club as I do now .....Fellow lifelong Wednesday have just had enough of it all too......Other bad seasons ( and they have been plenty) seemed just like a blip and you knew things would get better .....NOW ....A chairman that will not listen to the fans voices ....Manager after manager that seems out of their depth and can’t handle the players or the pressure........Start next season like we finished this and Chansiri is in for a massive shock ....An half empty hillsborough every home game will soon make him realise.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

I think there’s been on paper worse seasons but for some reason I just really didn’t care this year. I found it a real chore to go to the ground and watch on Ifollow. 

Probably becouse we proved we could do better earlier in the season. I never thought we'd get top 6 even when we were up in third.

Like when S. G was here and the football Was awful, but we got results to keep us comfortable and put a shift in everyweek  most of the entertainment came from back to the wall defending. 

Which is same with the relagation and league 3 seasons, the effort was there, we just where not a good enough side. 

That's the worst one for winding me up, I don't mind getting beaten by a better side, but when you don't put the effort in you  beat yourselves and that's criminal. 

1 hour ago, Tommo_ said:
1 hour ago, Tommo_ said:

Jordan Rhodes smashing in a hat trick away at Forest then going back to being irrelevant and as useful as an underwater hairdryer.

Hardly fair on Rhodes, under Monk he's rarely started a game. After that Forest away game up until the shutdown in March he started in 3 matches (W2 L1).

Since the restart he started in 3 matches (W1 D1 L1).

Just now, Watto said:

The effort has been there imo, we just aren't good enough, need around 7 or 8 new faces that are better than what we have 

I think the effort is there. But there’s no will to win and we go in on ourselves when things start to go wrong. Just no confidence or ability to fight.

It's been a pretty standard season for us to be honest.

Terrible football, awful performances, even worse results.

A complete shambles behind the scenes, taking our wonderful support for granted, and damn-right pig-headedness at the top.

Yep, pretty much a normal season.

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

That tops it for me.

That was painful. Absolute dog poo  at Hillsborough. A handful of good away performances. But largely a side who looked soft as hell making countless mistakes. And finally not one player I look at and think I’m proud he plays for my club. All of them just don’t connect with the fanbase anymore and neither does the manager.

Not to forget the season was ruined thanks to mismanagement which has seen the threat of a points deduction loom over us from the beginning. And that’s still not resolved.

I’ve been going since 2001 and that campaign was hands down the worst. On the face of it you would have thought the two relegation seasons were worse and the seasons we struggled in League One. But for some reason I found this one more painful. My entire enthusiasm for the football club was drained, genuine apathy which I’ve never felt before, a real disconnect from the club. Can’t put my finger on the exact reason but I really struggled to care this season. 

Short Memories on here VERY VERY SHORT.

image.png.3343f8e9f0818d01d62d6faa0bb59a96.png

image.png.4f58b3b5f8c7014ad8560279d85e60b7.png

image.png.385a463515aadab7027d4300f0308cc5.png

image.png.5841f9b94c070ad05b9b7814a2c4713b.pngimage.png.e8a6cfb19e567427620161e5ef9aeacc.png

In the last 20 seasons all of the above seasons have been worse than this one so get a grip.

1 hour ago, striker said:

Awful season yes, but there have been many worse seasons, although I appreciate my memory is a little longer 😀

Much the same.

I guess it seems worse because there are fewer distractions now, like work etc. old age creeping up and we have time to reflect daily.

The wife provided me with a light bulb moment last night just after the match had finished and I was on the laptop, quote:

'Why are you still on that thing (forum) at this time'

'Cos I need to keep up with what's going on'

'That's probably why you're so ratty all the time'

Point taken I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1