Worst season in memory

Been going since 2004/5 season and the first season back in league 1 after the Palace game surely tops this one, some horrendous football. Remember going to Grimsby in pre season and losing 2-1 with a full side and seeing Clinton Morrison watching in the stands think he would be a 20 goal man 😂

Guest mrbluesky

Not the worst by a long shot, but expectation has made the last few seasons feel like that.

"It`s the expectation, that kills ya!"

I think that it’s been a very frustrating season, where 71 points would have seen us in the playoffs, and that SHOULD have been achievable.

However.

The results since Christmas have been absolutely awful, and we’ve been hammered a few times, which really does hurt. So many games we’ve ended up with 0 points when we could have had 3.

That for me is why I’m feeling so cheesed off with the season now.  Even more so if we do end up with a points deduction and relegation....

And then an absence of leadership, direction, strategy etc. from the club all play into the lack of any optimism that things are going to get better any time soon.....

That I think is why I’m feeling so negative right now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

What I will say to those who hark back to the 70s...

Remember for the younger generation like myself we never experienced the good times under Jack Charlton or the glory days of the 90s. We don’t know it. Since I’ve been going we’ve been nothing but crap and yet growing up our Dads and Grandads tell us how such a big club we are and how great we were in the 90s with Waddle, Hirst, Sheridan and co. But we never experienced it.

In reality for us we’ve been a yo yo club between League One and the Championship with a couple of seasons under Carlos where we punched above our weight. 

The younger Wednesdayite really deserves better.

Yes they do, as do the older generation, Wednesday owe all the generations since the war big style.   Sheffield has woefully underachieved in football.  The city could comfortably support two Premier clubs and should be realistically be competing for trophies season after season.

It's a disgrace really, to say how much football means to the area. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The thing that is most soul destroying of all, is the lack of structure, planning or expertise in the club.  It simply isn't possible to see how we can look forward with any optimism whatsoever.  What's needed is appointments of experienced and previously successful people at CEO and Director of Football levels in the structure and a manager who can motivate players to perform consistently.  I can't say that I expect any of those things to happen within the forseeable future, with the current owner in place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know it’s hard to admit it but the other lot doing so well has had a bearing on how we feel. If they were still struggling in League One I don’t think we’d be quite as low right now. There’s definitely been worse seasons for us but rarely a better one for them and so it’s grinds all the more. The fortunes and feeling of both sets of Sheffield fans are intertwined and always will be, just like most two club cities or genuine rivalries. It’s hard to take right now especially if we work with Blades or have them in the family but let’s be reassured that times change. We just have to hang on in there.

Here endeth the lesson. 

• Like 1

Once upon a time we thought all we needed was a rich chairman who would throw some money at it and return us to the big time. 

To remove a perceived obstacle like this and still spectacularly fail is enough to drain anyone’s enthusiasm tank. 

P.S it didn’t help with how well the pigs have done. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

The season we almost went down to League 2 under Turner for me, this year was a cakewalk compared. 

Absolutely...the only positive factor was Brunt arriving at Hillsborough. We could all see he'd got something.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

That tops it for me.

That was painful. Absolute dog poo  at Hillsborough. A handful of good away performances. But largely a side who looked soft as hell making countless mistakes. And finally not one player I look at and think I’m proud he plays for my club. All of them just don’t connect with the fanbase anymore and neither does the manager.

Not to forget the season was ruined thanks to mismanagement which has seen the threat of a points deduction loom over us from the beginning. And that’s still not resolved.

I’ve been going since 2001 and that campaign was hands down the worst. On the face of it you would have thought the two relegation seasons were worse and the seasons we struggled in League One. But for some reason I found this one more painful. My entire enthusiasm for the football club was drained, genuine apathy which I’ve never felt before, a real disconnect from the club. Can’t put my finger on the exact reason but I really struggled to care this season. 

So the relegation seasons don't count ,hmmm

50 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

That tops it for me.

That was painful. Absolute dog poo  at Hillsborough. A handful of good away performances. But largely a side who looked soft as hell making countless mistakes. And finally not one player I look at and think I’m proud he plays for my club. All of them just don’t connect with the fanbase anymore and neither does the manager.

Not to forget the season was ruined thanks to mismanagement which has seen the threat of a points deduction loom over us from the beginning. And that’s still not resolved.

I’ve been going since 2001 and that campaign was hands down the worst. On the face of it you would have thought the two relegation seasons were worse and the seasons we struggled in League One. But for some reason I found this one more painful. My entire enthusiasm for the football club was drained, genuine apathy which I’ve never felt before, a real disconnect from the club. Can’t put my finger on the exact reason but I really struggled to care this season. 

It may be the worst season you have seen in 19 years, and I feel for you, never having seen success at the club you have chosen to watch, but believe me, the 1974/5-5/6 seasons were much, much worse.

this season reminds me so much of that time, the only difference being we have the money to spend, even if we are not allowed to spend it, this time round.

At the start of the 1974/5 season we did not even have enough money to pay for a grounds man to cut the pitch.