Iorfa - Is the writing on the wall?

2 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

How do you improve players without coaching staff?

We have coaches though. We pulled Thompson back off the U23s to cover while Monk waits for his first-choice coach (Beattie) to become available.

In fact, Thompson, Bullen and Monk himself were all defenders in their day so they ought to be able to coach Iorfa.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Morepork said:

We can't pin what I'm about to say on DC but I think it was reasonable to hope it might improve under his tenure. 

Successful football clubs improve players, fact.

So, 5 seasons in, a considerable amount of players signed and yet, how many have we managed to improve in that time?

Some have had good seasons. Bannan and Forestieri's first seasons at the club. Reach last season, this year its gone off a cliff...... Others have had short periods of form (not much, certainly not enough....) But, none of them have shown a sustained improvement. This is borne out by the lack of interest in our players from other clubs. I can't think of any player we've consistently improved as a footballer. 

We're now in the same position with Iorfa IMO. Now I don't think he's had a great season but, I do think its reasonable to argue that he's improved.

Whilst he's always got a mistake in him, to his credit his physical attributes quite often get him out of jail. We won't change change this about him, it's ultimately the reason he's not playing at a higher level.

So, that being said, simple question, do we sell and raise a few quid or hope against the odds that we don't regress him next season to the point at which he has no value?

Unless a ridiculous offer comes in keep him.

He is the age and type of whole hearted player we need.

Cast your mind back to pre season last Summer, before Bruce packed his bags. I Remember being in Portugal for the pre season, and being quietly confident about the coming season. We were looking forward to a good season, we had a decent squad a decent manager, a couple of good additions and we looked like we had a plan.

One thing changed. Just one. Now we are at the end of that very same season, with everyone glad it’s over, where players who last summer were heroes are now pariahs ( FF, Hutch Fletch Westwood) broken ( lees Lee Palmer widsmith Dawson BB Reach) or gone ( Fox and the loaners).

We have had a season of awful football, some hammering, hillsborough empty at half time, lowest home scorers in the league ( though highest away?) a team devoid of ideas energy and work, a broken and disassociated fan base, and facing our lowest season ticket sales for a good few years.

The chairman is the same, the squad has been the same, the fans are the same fans.

so what happened? How did we get from there to here?

• Like 1

Iorfa isn’t the premier league player everyone thinks he is - that’s the real reason.

very good at this level though.

Guest LondonOwl313
4 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I think Monk has worked his t*ts off. How can anyone do more given the absolute lack of staff at his disposal. I think he’s shown desire and bottle, to try and sort this shambolic disaster of a club out.

I never get why people make a thing out of working hard as if its a badge of honour. Life is all about results and achievements, not just trying... if you want to be a success that is.

Some people achieve results without working that hard because they don't need to. Others work very hard but don't achieve anything. Some have ability but don't work hard and don't achieve the results that they potentially could.

That latter group deserve flack, the first group deserve some slack because the results are there and the middle group deserve the sack!

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, Owls Loyal said:

Dizzy's Dad must enjoy his football at Bramall Lane.

Definite pork alert!!

6 hours ago, Plonk said:

Cast your mind back to pre season last Summer, before Bruce packed his bags. I Remember being in Portugal for the pre season, and being quietly confident about the coming season. We were looking forward to a good season, we had a decent squad a decent manager, a couple of good additions and we looked like we had a plan.

One thing changed. Just one. Now we are at the end of that very same season, with everyone glad it’s over, where players who last summer were heroes are now pariahs ( FF, Hutch Fletch Westwood) broken ( lees Lee Palmer widsmith Dawson BB Reach) or gone ( Fox and the loaners).

We have had a season of awful football, some hammering, hillsborough empty at half time, lowest home scorers in the league ( though highest away?) a team devoid of ideas energy and work, a broken and disassociated fan base, and facing our lowest season ticket sales for a good few years.

The chairman is the same, the squad has been the same, the fans are the same fans.

so what happened? How did we get from there to here?

some of us worked it out but the apathy lot haven't   lol 

10 hours ago, Morepork said:

We can't pin what I'm about to say on DC but I think it was reasonable to hope it might improve under his tenure. 

Successful football clubs improve players, fact.

So, 5 seasons in, a considerable amount of players signed and yet, how many have we managed to improve in that time?

Some have had good seasons. Bannan and Forestieri's first seasons at the club. Reach last season, this year its gone off a cliff...... Others have had short periods of form (not much, certainly not enough....) But, none of them have shown a sustained improvement. This is borne out by the lack of interest in our players from other clubs. I can't think of any player we've consistently improved as a footballer. 

We're now in the same position with Iorfa IMO. Now I don't think he's had a great season but, I do think its reasonable to argue that he's improved.

Whilst he's always got a mistake in him, to his credit his physical attributes quite often get him out of jail. We won't change change this about him, it's ultimately the reason he's not playing at a higher level.

So, that being said, simple question, do we sell and raise a few quid or hope against the odds that we don't regress him next season to the point at which he has no value?

Jeez, I fuc*in hope not.

If we can get x mill for Iorfa or 20 quid for Lees. Take the 20 Quid & i'll double it.

One thing I’d like to think is that DC must now see that continuing to pay players until their contract run down is counter-productive and that you have to sell to keep a business running smoothly. A couple of simple reasons are as follows:

1) It freshens up the playing staff.

2) I my generated income.

3) It keeps players on their toes.

In comparison to other clubs in the league we don’t generate that much on outgoings. We’ve also had a stale squad for 2-3 seasons and if players aren’t fearful of being sold or dropped then they find themselves in a comfort zone that doesn’t benefit the club.