Iorfa - Is the writing on the wall?

I presented Iorfa in the OP as a player we have improved this season and one that even now could command a fee. Albeit no more than a couple of million IMO. He has specific traits that could/would appeal.

I did not present him as being a great player as one poster has characterised it, nor did I say that he is worth a small fortune.

The point of the thread was, we don't improve players, he's worth a bit of something now, sell him or hang on until we've ruined him.....as we seem to be adept at that.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

With such sweeping changes to our squad, I would be tempted to say keep him, take our chances next season and build the defence around him. 

He's a good player and will become a very good player in a better team in my opinion.

Raw physical attributes to make up for mental and technical deficiencies sounds like what we saying about antonio a few years ago and he turned out ok.....

45 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk has failed to improve a single player since he has been here.

We need to get a proper Manager in who might be able to eliminate some of the rashness in Iorfa's play.

Iorfa has the physical atributes but compare his rashness, e.g. penalty for Fulham last weekend, with the cool calm of Loovens.

Agree over the last 4 years no players have improved their game for us.  This has happened under several managers so I don't think it is just down to the manager.

We need a total rethink on the development, coaching and tactical side of things and this can only be advocated by DC.

Do I think he will do it ? No I don't I think he will be looking for another sticking plaster or quick fix, he is in too deep to have a long term plan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, new zealand owl said:

With such sweeping changes to our squad, I would be tempted to say keep him, take our chances next season and build the defence around him. 

He's a good player and will become a very good player in a better team in my opinion.

Raw physical attributes to make up for mental and technical deficiencies sounds like what we saying about antonio a few years ago and he turned out ok.....

What happens next is key. I also think he could be better but as another poster pointed out he needs a leader with brains next to him. 

I think we should keep Iorfa unless a really decent bid comes in - say £ 3million plus.

There needs to be some degree of continuity from this season just finished. We can’t just bring in 8-9 new players, expect them to gel straight away. We need to hit the ground running, especially if we’ve a points deduction to make up.

Build the defence around Iorfa if at all possible, but money talks and he’s not irreplaceable at the end of the day

26 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Iorfa,s pace is a wonderful asset but at the moment we would be lucky to get anything more than 3 million. Unfortunately he is still part of a woeful central defence that just collapses when put under pressure. Don't know if this is down to poor players or poor coaching but time and time again the defence is wide open.

I think he could be outstanding if he had an experienced Loovens type player alongside him. Then we may get the big money offers that would tempt us to part.

All down to recruitment for me. 

It's all very well signing nice neat tidy players who arnt going to rock the boat as we've done. 

Though especially at the back you need gnarly, robust players with a tough mental attitude. 

The likes of Lees, Palmer, odd-job Mr 200 cb's VanAkren,they're nice guys. 

Probably the greatest back four in my lifetime was that horrible lot at arsenal under George Graham,. Non of them were great footballers, most of them could hardly win a cap at international level, but they had that mean spirited, determined steely attitude to winning. 

Even when liningham retired he replaced him with keown and most of them cost peanuts to buy. 

Imagine putting our back four up against Pearson, shirtliff, nilsson and King in a brawl even now, I know who my money would be on.

Edited by shezzas left peg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

We can't pin what I'm about to say on DC but I think it was reasonable to hope it might improve under his tenure. 

Successful football clubs improve players, fact.

So, 5 seasons in, a considerable amount of players signed and yet, how many have we managed to improve in that time?

Some have had good seasons. Bannan and Forestieri's first seasons at the club. Reach last season, this year its gone off a cliff...... Others have had short periods of form (not much, certainly not enough....) But, none of them have shown a sustained improvement. This is borne out by the lack of interest in our players from other clubs. I can't think of any player we've consistently improved as a footballer. 

We're now in the same position with Iorfa IMO. Now I don't think he's had a great season but, I do think its reasonable to argue that he's improved.

Whilst he's always got a mistake in him, to his credit his physical attributes quite often get him out of jail. We won't change change this about him, it's ultimately the reason he's not playing at a higher level.

So, that being said, simple question, do we sell and raise a few quid or hope against the odds that we don't regress him next season to the point at which he has no value?

The guys too good to be regressed even by us, defiantly keep unless we get an offer over 5/6 million, we really need to sell some for an actual profit 

If we can find a better player for less then we could sell, however I have no confidence with Monk or whoever is identifying targets.

It was unfortunate we lost Bruce who identified we needed pace and appears to have much improved Newcastle in that area.

Both Leeds and Sheffield united have shown a good manager/motivator is worth their weight and very soon engineer an upturn in results.

Good managers do not need to spend vast amounts and do improve players/teams.

In short sell players if we can replace for less.

53 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

It's almost as if Covid never happened.  Hardly any clubs will be spending.  Let alone big money on a journeyman defender.

Reyt journeyman at 24. Give it a rest FFS he's had 2 permanent clubs and 2 loans. As I said a reyt journeyman makes Steve Claridge look like a 1 club man :duntmatter:

He reminds me of big Reda a lot,pacey and dangerous down the flanks,but centrally his positional sense and awareness is very poor,at times he looks dead clumsy,not sure how easy it is to coach out instinct,if you can coach that out at all.

With the ball at his feet in full flight hes got the desire and determination,his sheer size and presence make him a threat in these situations,just like Reda was,Id move him back to RB or RWB where his assets mask his deficiencies better

2 hours ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I think Monk has worked his t*ts off. How can anyone do more given the absolute lack of staff at his disposal. I think he’s shown desire and bottle, to try and sort this shambolic disaster of a club out.

Think the clue is in your name.

FFS

Iorfa is probably the only one of our players with value that can increase and not depreciate! I would definitely keep him another year and see how he does with a hopefully improved squad next season, unless a big offer comes in. There's not much cost associated with it but potentially a lot to gain. This is the sort of signing we need to be making more of.