Iorfa - Is the writing on the wall?

We can't pin what I'm about to say on DC but I think it was reasonable to hope it might improve under his tenure. 

Successful football clubs improve players, fact.

So, 5 seasons in, a considerable amount of players signed and yet, how many have we managed to improve in that time?

Some have had good seasons. Bannan and Forestieri's first seasons at the club. Reach last season, this year its gone off a cliff...... Others have had short periods of form (not much, certainly not enough....) But, none of them have shown a sustained improvement. This is borne out by the lack of interest in our players from other clubs. I can't think of any player we've consistently improved as a footballer. 

We're now in the same position with Iorfa IMO. Now I don't think he's had a great season but, I do think its reasonable to argue that he's improved.

Whilst he's always got a mistake in him, to his credit his physical attributes quite often get him out of jail. We won't change change this about him, it's ultimately the reason he's not playing at a higher level.

So, that being said, simple question, do we sell and raise a few quid or hope against the odds that we don't regress him next season to the point at which he has no value?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Morepork said:

We can't pin what I'm about to say on DC but I think it was reasonable to hope it might improve under his tenure. 

Successful football clubs improve players, fact.

So, 5 seasons in, a considerable amount of players signed and yet, how many have we managed to improve in that time?

Some have had good seasons. Bannan and Forestieri's first seasons at the club. Reach last season, this year its gone off a cliff...... Others have had short periods of form (not much, certainly not enough....) But, none of them have shown a sustained improvement. This is borne out by the lack of interest in our players from other clubs. I can't think of any player we've consistently improved as a footballer. 

We're now in the same position with Iorfa IMO. Now I don't think he's had a great season but, I do think its reasonable to argue that he's improved.

Whilst he's always got a mistake in him, to his credit his physical attributes quite often get him out of jail. We won't change change this about him, it's ultimately the reason he's not playing at a higher level.

So, that being said, simple question, do we sell and raise a few quid or hope against the odds that we don't regress him next season to the point at which he has no value?

difference with bazza and fessi they were late 20’s , iorfa still only 24 I believe so plenty More improving time , however if a big offer came in then obviously would consider 

• Like 1

Just now, Dizzys Dad said:

How do you improve players without coaching staff?

Fair and pertinent point, especially in relation to Monk who has been massively short changed in that department. Almost 3 seasons were CC and he had a full complement of Portuguese staff at his disposal.

• Like 1

Monk has failed to improve a single player since he has been here.

We need to get a proper Manager in who might be able to eliminate some of the rashness in Iorfa's play.

Iorfa has the physical atributes but compare his rashness, e.g. penalty for Fulham last weekend, with the cool calm of Loovens.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr Farrell said:

Not the worst by a million miles.

If I were him, I'd be wondering wtf have I joined.

Shiit Chairman. Shiit Manager. Shiit squad.

The whole post will be academic his transfer request probably his DC's desk on 91 minutes..... lol

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Owls Loyal said:

Monk has failed to improve a single player since he has been here.

We need to get a proper Manager in who might be able to eliminate some of the rashness in Iorfa's play.

Iorfa has the physical atributes but compare his rashness, e.g. penalty for Fulham last weekend, with the cool calm of Loovens.

I think Monk has worked his t*ts off. How can anyone do more given the absolute lack of staff at his disposal. I think he’s shown desire and bottle, to try and sort this shambolic disaster of a club out.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dizzys Dad said:

I think Monk has worked his t*ts off. How can anyone do more given the absolute lack of staff at his disposal. I think he’s shown desire and bottle, to try and sort this shambolic disaster of a club out.

Dizzy's Dad must enjoy his football at Bramall Lane.

• Like 1

Re Iorfa, have to sell if there is any decent offer.  Many people have now commented on the fact that our P&S concerns are due in part to a refusal to sell players - we have to follow through with this rather than get all jittery about selling one of out better players.  They all have their price, and it’s probably no as high as we would wish for, but we have to bite the bullet.

Good point also on our ability to improve players.  It doesn’t seem to happen in most cases and an overhaul of coaching set-up need to happen.

• Like 1

What do you class as a good offer ?

I have seen £15 million mentioned on other threads. No way will anyone pay even half that. We wouldn't even get anywhere near £15 million for the whole squad we have still under contract for next season.

Equally cannot see us paying any fees for players regardless if we sell him or not, just freebies I'm afraid.

I would keep him probably the only player we have that we would struggle to replace with someone as good or better on a freebie. 

If a decent offer came in, I'd sell.

We could have got big fees for FF, Reach if we'd sold at the right time. The whole FFP thing could have been avoided. And we could have moved Westwood on.

Problem is, I'm not sure who's going to fork out say £5m for Iorfa in this climate. He's a risky purchase.

6 minutes ago, Marpals said:

What do you class as a good offer ?

I have seen £15 million mentioned on other threads. No way will anyone pay even half that. We wouldn't even get anywhere near £15 million for the whole squad we have still under contract for next season.

Equally cannot see us paying any fees for players regardless if we sell him or not, just freebies I'm afraid.

I would keep him probably the only player we have that we would struggle to replace with someone as good or better on a freebie. 

I don't know who's mentioned that number but they should seek urgent medical attention. lol

• Like 2

Iorfa,s pace is a wonderful asset but at the moment we would be lucky to get anything more than 3 million. Unfortunately he is still part of a woeful central defence that just collapses when put under pressure. Don't know if this is down to poor players or poor coaching but time and time again the defence is wide open.

I think he could be outstanding if he had an experienced Loovens type player alongside him. Then we may get the big money offers that would tempt us to part.

• Like 3