Iorfa-Bannan and next season-

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Whatever happens this summer we simply cannot afford to lose Bannan or Iorfa 

Monk needs to build.the team around these two. 

Completely disagree with all those that moan about Bannan playing two deep. Picking the ball up deep and turning defence into attack quickly is where he's exceptional. It's a big part of why we've done so much  better away from home than at home.

this is a major issue and the fact that Bannan plays week in week out almost counters your argument

the first couple of seasons he was blindingly good BUT the side was well balanced at that time.  Now there is too much onus on Bannan alone (and tbf he places that responsibility by going to pick the ball up at DM)

with no target man up front (e.g. Fletcher) I really don’t see what else he is going to offer

1 hour ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We need to replace Bannan not build a team around him. We need to look for a player that can pass, tackle, defend, attack and challenge in the air. That's how central midfielders used to be.

These aren't our only two options, though.

The third way would be to keep Bannan and use him as a useful first team player, but not build the whole team around him. His assists have shot up in the last couple of seasons, but that's arguably because everything goes through him and we've become way too reliant on him to produce a moment of magic to try and create a goalscoring opportunity.

In Carvalhal's first season, we had Bannan, Lee, Wallace, López, Hooper, and Forestieri who were all capable of combining to unlock a defence, and we were a much more coherent attacking threat.

If we can add the right players to allow Bannan to go back to being one of our threats rather than our only threat, we'll be a much better team and he can offer a lot to that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 83owl said:

Plenty of clubs have been promoted from this division without the talents of Bannan and iorfa. If we get good offers for either then they should go, the same as any other player. Bannan is into the last year if his contract so we risk losing another player for free. Iorfas a good athlete but not a great defender. Both are replaceable.

don't disagree! Every player has their price!

But I don't think we'd get an offer especially for Bannan that would be worth selling, maybe for Iorfa but can't see it personally.

Plus would you trust the club to replace them with similar quality.

Look at the players that have been released, we've not replaced them with the same quality!

2 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

These aren't our only two options, though.

The third way would be to keep Bannan and use him as a useful first team player, but not build the whole team around him. His assists have shot up in the last couple of seasons, but that's arguably because everything goes through him and we've become way too reliant on him to produce a moment of magic to try and create a goalscoring opportunity.

In Carvalhal's first season, we had Bannan, Lee, Wallace, López, Hooper, and Forestieri who were all capable of combining to unlock a defence, and we were a much more coherent attacking threat.

If we can add the right players to allow Bannan to go back to being one of our threats rather than our only threat, we'll be a much better team and he can offer a lot to that.

He's had his time and isn't getting any better. Time to go with a fresh approach and new ideas of such as playing through the team instead of everything going through one player. Its a bit like the school playground where little Barry has to do everything and the others get bored with it.

• Like 1

Just now, jonnyowl said:

I hop these aren't the same scouts that decided Van Aken was the best defender out of the 200 we apparently looked at!

Our scouting has been shocking but the role is to identify the rough diamonds and the coaching staff to coach them into fulfilling the potential they have.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

But I don't think we'd get an offer especially for Bannan that would be worth selling, maybe for Iorfa but can't see it personally.

Look at the players that have been released, we've not replaced them with the same quality!

Another consideration, when we should have sold players, was the time when we had other good players Now we are stripped to the bare bones, in terms of quality, losing Bannan could be catastrophic, if we want to stay in the championship 

When we had money to spend, and we brought in the likes of Bannan, Forestieri and Hooper, we already had a good nucleus at the time, Westwood, Lees, Loovens, Hutchinson, Lee etc 

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

He's had his time and isn't getting any better. Time to go with a fresh approach and new ideas of such as playing through the team instead of everything going through one player. Its a bit like the school playground where little Barry has to do everything and the others get bored with it.

We seem to be agreeing on that second point, it's just that I think Bannan still has a lot to offer to a Championship team as long as he's not played in the way we've resorted to in recent seasons where he's our only hope of moving the team up the pitch.

I'm all for a fresh approach; I just think Bannan could play a role in that if we get our recruitment right.

It will be interesting to see what Monk's thinking on that will be.

3 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Our scouting has been shocking but the role is to identify the rough diamonds and the coaching staff to coach them into fulfilling the potential they have.

This is something else we don't do, sign a player he does well for us and sell them on for big profit!

The last time this happend, must have been Brunt and Bougherra! 

Not sure what to think about bannan. It seems most opposition managers and players always seem to pick him out as our main threat. Are we missing something. Me personally  would keep him all day long.

13 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Last chance to get a fee for Bannan at all given his age. Also next season is likely to Just be a transitional one anyway given the (hopefully) turnover of players. I get the point about trusting the recruitment team not being good enough but the problem is you can’t keep doing the wrong thing as a club (Holding onto players) because you are incapable of signing the right players, it’s basically just burying your head in the sand and hoping it gets better.

We either need a proper structure above monk (or another head coach) to identify and bring in players and allow him to just coach the team (with his coaches etc) or bring in a manager who will bring his own coaches, recruitment etc. At the minute it seems we have neither.

Just now, jonnyowl said:

This is something else we don't do, sign a player he does well for us and sell them on for big profit!

The last time this happend, must have been Brunt and Bougherra! 

Yes there is something endemic in the water at Middlewood Road. For years we have been a soft comfortable place for journeyman footballers stopping off for their last hurrah, or big club loanees that don't have the hunger to develop in the next step of their footballing careers. Lazy managers and coaches that fail to develop or improve footballers closing the door to opportunity for any player on the fringes of the first team.

Other teams have gone out and signed players with hunger and desire  to improve and become better footballers and play as a team. Their coaching network, procurement and management of players puts us to shame.

5 minutes ago, 83owl said:

Last chance to get a fee for Bannan at all given his age. Also next season is likely to Just be a transitional one anyway given the (hopefully) turnover of players. I get the point about trusting the recruitment team not being good enough but the problem is you can’t keep doing the wrong thing as a club (Holding onto players) because you are incapable of signing the right players, it’s basically just burying your head in the sand and hoping it gets better.

We either need a proper structure above monk (or another head coach) to identify and bring in players and allow him to just coach the team (with his coaches etc) or bring in a manager who will bring his own coaches, recruitment etc. At the minute it seems we have neither.

Bannan is 30? Last year of his contract, how much do you think we'd get for him?

Cant sell a player if nobody wants to buy him!

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Whatever happens this summer we simply cannot afford to lose Bannan or Iorfa 

Monk needs to build.the team around these two. 

Completely disagree with all those that moan about Bannan playing two deep. Picking the ball up deep and turning defence into attack quickly is where he's exceptional. It's a big part of why we've done so much  better away from home than at home.

We need to build the defence around Iorfa. He's young and appears to have a good attitude. He can play in a three or a four.

After that I'd say Luongo is probably the only other player under contract I'd be 100% happy putting on the team sheet now.

Harris is close and I doubt we'll be going out to sign many improvements on what we have- more plugging the gaps.

I'd love to see us bring Murphy and Windass back.

Other than that we're starting from scratch in terms of starters, unless we're happy accept we'll be in a scrap, in which case the likes of Dawson/Wildsmith, Lees, Reach and Palmer come back into the reckoning.

If big enough bids come in for them, I would sell them. 

Both are good players but replaceable. 

8 minutes ago, jonnyowl said:

Bannan is 30? Last year of his contract, how much do you think we'd get for him?

Cant sell a player if nobody wants to buy him!

Not sure what we would get or if anyone even wants him but one things for sure anything we do get for him will be more than what we get the season after when he leaves for nothing.

2 hours ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Would you go for another creative player or more of a ball winner?

We need both. Think we have a good box to box player in Liam Shaw coming through. A good defensive midfielder in Liam Waldock and a good ball player in Alex Hunt. So were covered in the young lads but id be worried about playing all three.

Bannan is better out wide. Luongo is ok but drifts too much in and out for me and Lee has been the best player since the prem but his injury has hampered him. We need 2 new CM players in my opinion.