Iorfa-Bannan and next season-

I think we need to be realistic in what we can do. Most of the players who are under contract, will be part of the group next season. We already have enough to do, without thinking about replacing the likes of Bannan. In what is likely to be a shortened turnaround, with a possible start at the beginning of September, we already have much to do. 

• Like 3

Iorfa really overrated for me. Mainly because of the distinctly average talent that we have had at centre half over the past 15 years. He’s not a ‘must stay’ for me but we do need to improve that area of the team.

28 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

We need to replace Bannan not build a team around him. We need to look for a player that can pass, tackle, defend, attack and challenge in the air. That's how central midfielders used to be.

,,,but can we afford £20 million?

47 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The eight assists he's provided this season put him in the Championship's top ten for assists and is the second best tally of his career, bettered only by last season.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest Barry Bannan isn't 'finished'.

:duntmatter:

I suggest that limb is fit and healthy.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, peggyowl said:

Bannan, Luongo, pessy and Reach all need to go we need to start again in midfield.  We need players that can command, get beyond the strikers are are mobile.   We don't have anyone who can deliver telling passes, corners or freekicks.   Midfield for me is a beast who disrupts the opposition then someone who can play ball you look at other midfields and it is always were we have struggled over the last couple of years.

I agree with much of what you say we need. But getting a physical box to box mid who is also as confident on the ball is difficult. Ideally Bannan would be alongside that player

36 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

Insert other media

We need a Ben Watson, Harry Arter type.

Pure shitkicker who does the ugly. Basically a Hutch but who can put in 40 games a season not 20.

Someone like that Harry Arter would completely transform our midfield. 

If anyone offers decent money for either, we must accept it. Chansiri needs to understand accepting decent bids for our players is essential if we are to balance the books. No-one is indispensable.

• Like 2

Guest Ferkorf

Time to move Bannan on for me.

He plays the quarter back far too much and most of those passes lead to nothing.

The first two seasons we had him he was a completely different player.

None of this dropping deep and running back to our keeper to play a ball forward to their defenders.

Hes just got the habit of it now.

Love us to sign someone to play at the side of him that can support him to go forward but that's not going to happen.

We don't have players that have the vision or quality to play with this style anymore.

Long gone are hooper, Forestieri and the old kieren lee

Edited by Ferkorf

Replacing Bannan, deary me. He is clearly one of our best players. 

Maybe if we had better players around him he would actually look better. Some people in this thread are slagging him off for coming deep and wanting the ball, Paul Scholes did it for years for Man Utd and was one of the worlds best. I don't see the problem with Bannan dictating play from deep. He runs his blood to water, tackles back, presses (even when his teammates don't back him up) and passes (forwards). We would really miss him if he left. Top player for us. 

His set pieces are garbage though!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Brad_owl said:

Replacing Bannan, deary me. He is clearly one of our best players. 

Maybe if we had better players around him he would actually look better. Some people in this thread are slagging him off for coming deep and wanting the ball, Paul Scholes did it for years for Man Utd and was one of the worlds best. I don't see the problem with Bannan dictating play from deep. He runs his blood to water, tackles back, presses (even when his teammates don't back him up) and passes (forwards). We would really miss him if he left. Top player for us. 

His set pieces are garbage though!

Exactly, it’s what’s showing ahead of him, that limits his capabilities Imagine what he could do if we actually had forwards who could pass and move

1 hour ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Whatever happens this summer we simply cannot afford to lose Bannan or Iorfa 

Monk needs to build.the team around these two. 

Completely disagree with all those that moan about Bannan playing two deep. Picking the ball up deep and turning defence into attack quickly is where he's exceptional. It's a big part of why we've done so much  better away from home than at home.

We need to build the defence around Iorfa. He's young and appears to have a good attitude. He can play in a three or a four.

After that I'd say Luongo is probably the only other player under contract I'd be 100% happy putting on the team sheet now.

Harris is close and I doubt we'll be going out to sign many improvements on what we have- more plugging the gaps.

I'd love to see us bring Murphy and Windass back.

Other than that we're starting from scratch in terms of starters, unless we're happy accept we'll be in a scrap, in which case the likes of Dawson/Wildsmith, Lees, Reach and Palmer come back into the reckoning.

I would have thought after reading the fans on here that have Footballing business degrees and access to the wonderful hindsight glasses, that we should be selling our best players for the largest amount of money we could get as Mr Chansiri should have done with FF, Reach, Lees, Westwood, Bannan, Fletcher, Rhodes etc, and don't forget we are an understanding bunch of fans so not one of us will kick off at the sales because we all know what lies ahead 

Plenty of clubs have been promoted from this division without the talents of Bannan and iorfa. If we get good offers for either then they should go, the same as any other player. Bannan is into the last year if his contract so we risk losing another player for free. Iorfas a good athlete but not a great defender. Both are replaceable.