Wednesday -V- Middlesbrough

4 hours ago, mcmigo said:

A wonderful piece, a really wonderful tribute to one of the great Wednesday cult heroes.   So much of supporting this club is wrapped up in that piece. It is a tribute to the great bits of football itself for those of us who support clubs outside the elite.

A tribute to the joys of honesty and effort, but also the joys of flaws, mistakes and shortcomings . It is only these that make us human and separate us from machines. It is our flaws that give us character, personality, charisma.  No player in my life supporting wednesday has ever come close to the charisma And impact of Adthe Nuhiu for all of those reasons. Those who didn’t feel it or experience it and sought to fight against it seek perfection, a nirvana that doesn’t exist and even if it did, would be so soulless and boring it would soon turn to a pink and shiny version of hell.

Those who didn’t experience the joy of seeing Adthe play and instead focused on those flaws of his as negatives will be forever searching in their lives, never satisfied. You see it on owlstalk, the constant rose tinted glasses talking about Roland Nilsson et al. All the while we have this giant Kosovan, always ready to spring off the bench, always ready to throw himself into the game, always fully aware of his flaws and limitations but always ready to try to grab that goal and get us back in the game or to see it out.

Some wonderful replies to a wonderful piece by Snoots.

Nothing I can add than hasn't already been superbly & touchingly articulated.

This is what i remember being a Wednesdayite is all about.

Glad to see some decency does still exist, buried amongst the vitriolic, abusive, attention seeking sound bites.

Well done guys.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Top Notch as always M'lud and a heartfelt tribute to Atty.  It's a pity his last game will be in an empty stadium without the fans being able to give him a rousing thank-you.  Also thanks to you Sir for the OMDT production throughout this long drawn out season.  Hopefully you have been offered a new contract extension to carry on the good work next season,wherever we may be playing.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

A quality piece your Lordship. You do seem overly fond of a cul-de-sac or a back alley. Is there something you’re not telling us about your fondness for Atty? A subliminal admiration?

The metaphor of the warrior as a trusty spare wheel is genius.

A club legend, for whatever reason the individual wants to focus on.....

I prefer loyalty, commitment & good value.

We will win 2-1 with a Nooyoo penalty.

UTO

CD4C15BA-FC6D-4658-A89D-53D826FDBC57.png

I hope he's given the Captains arm band tonight

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

1610819_10153258525461111_7713816373499812539_n.jpg.1d2118c598d28c86aff4fefb1f2de2af.jpg

It seems so long ago. But, also, like so many things in life, also the blinking of an eye. Big Atdhes time at Sheffield Wednesday.  I'll be the first to acknowledge I'd never heard of him. The tall stranger now donning the famous blue and white stripes. (My, what a dreadful kit that was.) But his debut made quite the impression.

Ner-Hoo-eee, Nu-hoo, Noo-High-you, Noo-oooh. 

Yes there was problems early on with his name. For some a problem that never went away. Crikey. It's been 7 years and Brian Laws is still calling him 'Newy'. 

So, Dave then. Big Dave.  Apparently he didn't like it. Then again, that's the life when it comes to nicknames isn't it?  Doesn't matter if you like them. You just get stuck with them. Bizarrely given the struggles people had with his name, I'm surprised many didn't think to just adopt his first name as their moniker of choice. 'Atty' . I mean to say, that's hardly difficult is it. 

He's been a player which has split opinion among the fan base like no other I can ever recall in all the years I have watched Wednesday.  Some have never rated him. Some have. Some seem to have a dislike of the lad, for reasons which have always been unfathomable to me. I don't think anyone has ever thought he's a World beater. Though I must admit myself, to sometimes defending him to a level actually greater than I actually rated him, and why? Why would I do that. Why would others do that? Well for no other reason than to simply try and balance out over-the-top criticism. When people make wild ,often hugely inaccurate claims of his terribleness,then there's no point trying to reason. None at all. No.  One may aswell play the game and  go over the top in praise. When proper fact based debate cannot be done, fight fire with fire. All completely barmy of course. And I have been as guilty as the next man. 

I like Atdhe Nuhiu. Maybe it's my age. Maybe it's the fact that I have seen Wednesday outside the top flight more than I have ever seen us in it. But  that being the case other things become important to me in football. Yes, I'd like to win every week. Of course I'd love,like us all, to see our famous stripes trotting out at the Nou Camp and giving Barcelona a run for their money. I'd like to see us lift the FA Cup, something many fans are actually bored of seeing their teams do. 

But we haven't. And in all likelyhood we wont.

Oh, we tell ourselves we need more. We want more. We deserve more. But wanting doesn't get.

Once more, for the second time in ten days I'm back to hearing the call that we shouldn't accept mediocrity. Why bother some would ask if we're to accept average. What's it all about if not wanting to be the very best? To be challenging? 

Well, ask the fans of Accrington Stanley why they bother. They're never going to win anything. Ask the fans of Derby, or  Bristol City.

The thing is you see. The thing about football is, it's not actually about just football is it? It might be to some, the stattos, people with some sort of disorder, people who may longer get to go along, people who only read the results. But  no, for many, many fans, not just of the Wednesday ,but of all clubs,  so much of it is more than that. It's about belonging. It's about the club. It's about the tradition.  Yes It's about getting a Beres sandwich. It's about a pint. It is about having a shop full of absolute tat.  It's about remembering Big Jack . It's about turning corners....and soon after finding another cul-de-sac.  Football is about a feeling.

When all is said and done we can demand, we can moan, we can cry, we can grumble. We can laugh. That's all football. The results....really?  The point is It's all football. All of it. Not just the game itself, not just the result. It's about Ross Wallace stealing the Huddersfield notes.  It's about remembering Ola Tidman rescuing a wounded pigeon.

image.png.354220ade8d0c085bd59e48325461915.png

It's about Lloyd Owusu being sick. It's about bog roll streamers being hurled down the KOP. It's about scolding tasteless tea. It's about all of those around you joining in the tannoy call not to leave via Leppings Lane with daft smirks on your faces. A shared 'in' joke that you only get in the ground. Programmes? Three quid!

Which brings me back to Atty. I like Atty. Big Dave. Nuhiu. I don't love him. But I like him. 

I think Like is more important than love. Love burns bright, and burns and then fizzles and sometimes leaves a nasty scar.  Liking something, someone, is what makes it last. I like Wednesday. For all the balls ups. For all the failure, the false dawns. I like Sheffield Wednesday. Life is a journey and Wednesday are like my old car. One that makes loads of clunks and clangs. And has a steaming radiator. It's a motor that has careered from one crash site to another. The windows don't wind up and it's hair raising. But I just can't trade it in. The indicators don't work. But... the gear stick is in the right place. And the glove box has plenty of room and the old bench seats are very comfortable. I've seen some real adventure with it. Not just the tourist spots, but every back alley and dead-end, every grubby estate.

I sigh as it splutters. But sighing is part of it. For all of it, for all the frustration i  like that old car . And woah betide anyone who slates it.

I've always felt that with the bigman, he's been a fellow traveller. Someone who's jumped in and joined the ride. 

He's helped get out and push when needed in the slashing rain,  as other passengers have hopped on and back off again. 

He actually reminds me of Wednesday old Nuhiu. He's massive. He could have potentially been better than he is. But at the same time he's actually better than other people think he is.  He's frustrated me at times. He's surprised me at times. Just like Wednesday.  Sometimes he's lumbered...and that really has reminded me of Wednesday! But also he's given me some great memories and he's given my club great service. He's been a trusty spare in the boot when the flash alloys have gone spinning off. Or been stolen.   We've shared good times and bad on the journey.

I like the big lad because he's honest. I like him because he didn't cost much. I like him because I never ever felt that he was taking the club , my club, for a ride. I like him because I never felt he was taking the p*ss. Is that enough for a team that 'needs to be challenging?'

Is that enough for 'where we want to go'.

Probably not, no. 

But for me i like Nuhiu and I like his type.

I like to know we have players who don't hold my club to ransom. It won't ever help us win a trophy ,I know that. 

We'll need some proper top level top class mercenaries if we're ever to do that. And if we do , I'm sure I'll get as drunk as anyone if I'm still alive, and celebrate wildly as a billionaire playboy lifts the cup on our behalf. 

But when I'm gibbering away in a chair, the last semblance of my life ebbing away, as some nurse spoon feeds me my gruel, and the memories of life flash before the old rheumy eyes. I'll remember Big Atty scoring from the corner flag as much as I'll remember Sheridans 'dink'. I'll remember him flattening that Leeds defender , slotting home and sliding away in the snow as much as I remember Big Nige lift the cup.  I'll remember because you take the moments. You take the places. You take and remember the feelings.

So thank you big man. 

Thank you for your 50 goals. 

Thank you for one of my favourite ever football related memes.

image.png.15320764141e16ddcd0def4e54e4da26.png

Thank you for not getting the lip on and disrupting the changing room when you haven't been selected.

Thank you for not vanishing of the holidays even though you knew you'd be on the bench.

Thank you for signing up till the end of the season when you could have just f*cked off or worse feigned injury to ensure you didn't jeopardise your next move.

Thank you for reminding me that some footballers, still, are normal, decent chaps who go about their jobs with a bit of integrity and honesty. Something so sadly lacking in today's game.

Thank you and good Luck.

---------------------------------

WEDNESDAY

-V-

MIDDLESBROUGH

image.png.91358c0e0bb59cab923ca6e2ecd9e1db.png

-----------------------------------------

Saturday 22nd July

Kick off : 19:30
Owlerton 

---------------------------------

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY

Wednesday's  Kieran Lee was forced to miss out once again for the trip to Fulham, but Monk has expressed his optimism over the midfielder's availability for the final day.

A return for Lee in the starting lineup could see Joey Pelupessy drop down to the bench,  while Jacob Murphy and Atdhe Nuhiu will be hoping that their huge contributions at Craven Cottage will see them earn a start here. Esepcially Nuhiu who is likely making his last appearance for the club.

Wildsmith

Iorfa   Lees    Borner

Murphy    Luongo     Pelupessy     Bannan      Harris

Windass        Nuhiu

---------------------------------------------------

MIDDLESBROUGH

Middlesbrough boss and favourite Owls panto villain Neil Warnock is facing a selection dilemma in midfield when it comes to replacing the suspended Howson.

Patrick McNair is an option for the Boro manager having come off the bench at the weekend, but fellow midfielder Adam Clayton has struggled for game time under Warnock.

Pears

Dijksteel   Fry   Friend   Coulson

McNair   Saville

Spence    Wing     Tavernier

Assombalonga

---------------------------------------------------

Well said Snoots old bean

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Mickjj said:

Top Notch as always M'lud and a heartfelt tribute to Atty.  It's a pity his last game will be in an empty stadium without the fans being able to give him a rousing thank-you.  Also thanks to you Sir for the OMDT production throughout this long drawn out season.  Hopefully you have been offered a new contract extension to carry on the good work next season,wherever we may be playing.

Much as I feel Snooty has been a decent poster in the past its time we had a clearout and we moved on.

Not sure that Neal is the man to do it though.

:ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, akbuk said:

I hope he's given the Captains arm band tonight

Now thats a great idea akbuk lo err like it a lot. Thanks to snoots for all the hard work this season and what a fantastic send off for the big man.

If anyone ever asks me whats it like to support Wednesday I'll show em your omdt for today. And great use of the princess bride.

Come on the Wednesday make Warnock cry!

• Like 2

Yet another fabulous piece of writing Lord S.  A synopsis of all that we collectively experience watching and supporting this team of ours.  Often depressing, just occasionally uplifting, rarely exhilarating.  Yet we keep on coming back for more.

Thanks to the big man for his efforts throughout his 7 years, both on the pitch and off. If every player had his attitude and application, we certainly wouldn't be in the mess we're in right now!

Thanks to the Lord S for his untiring late night labours in producing the pre-match entertainment that frequently exceeds the actual match itself.

I cover my eyes and ears when I begin to consider the future, but all we can hope is that the result of the panel is not too hard to bear. As always, time will tell.

• Like 1

Start him upfront. Make the man captain for this game.  He deserves it. I for one will miss him. I understand we need to move forward but we will struggle to find a player like atty, on the cheap again. He’s so handy to throw on for last 20 minutes when you need a goal. 

• Like 2

Thankfully we've made it to the end of a season that promised so much but failed to deliver as usual.  Let's put all this behind us and sign off with a win and pray that we don't suffer any points deductions this season or next season.

It’s hard to know what it is about football, and The Wednesday in particular, that can stir such emotions. Even when things go wrong on and off the pitch, as they certainly have this season, somehow there’s something that we can still point to and say “That’s what it’s all about.”

Northern clubs in general are just different. They are social institutions, trustees of local tradition, part of our identity. Even if, like me, we end up living far away from Sheffield, The Owls are still our club and Sheffield is still our spiritual home.

However much frustration we feel, we aren’t going anywhere else – the very thought is absurd. Loyalty matters. We are totally committed, and we like to see our commitment reflected in the attitudes of the players. That’s why exemplary service to The Owls matters.

It doesn’t matter what race, colour or creed the players happen to be. When they become an Owl, they become our torch-bearers, and we want to see the torch we inherited from our ancestors and hope to pass to our children borne aloft proudly and with honour. It doesn’t mean you have to be brilliant; it does mean you have to understand where you are and what wearing that shirt means to us. And you have to show us that you understand by doing your very best for the club.

Those who know this and behave accordingly deserve our respect and grateful thanks. I know there will be some of those on the pitch tonight. It would be nice to see a whole squad who understand it.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

If we are relegated this year Atdhe woild be a fantastic asset in the pub league. If we stay up with a points deduction he is the player we might need to scrape together the odd late goal that wins the game or saves a point.

I can see why we wouln't have him in a promotion chasing side but we won't be that if we have a points deduction. I think it's a mistake to let him go now.

Maybe it's his decision and he wants to move on but I doubt it.

Cracking read Snoots. Thanks for all your efforts on OMDT threads throughout the season. They have become another big part of the matchday experience.

• Like 1

What an incredible piece of writing.......the best thing I've ever read on Owlstalk..

I hope Atdhe gets to read it. He's taken bucket loads of abuse over the years, like a true gent, and it would be great if this honest and emotional tribute could offer him a lasting memory of his time at Hillsborough and how the majority of fans consider that he's represented the Club.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, passthepig said:

What an incredible piece of writing.......the best thing I've ever read on Owlstalk..

I hope Atdhe gets to read it. He's taken bucket loads of abuse over the years, like a true gent, and it would be great if this honest and emotional tribute could offer him a lasting memory of his time at Hillsborough and how the majority of fans consider that he's represented the Club.

Abuse ??   Come on mate everyone knows wednesdayites don’t abuse players , it’s all a myth that 

1 hour ago, WalthamOwl said:

Do people think this will be the last game for Lee tonight? I hope he starts in midfield with Bannan and Luongo. 

Monk said he first parachuted in he needed players with football intelligence.  If he hasn't twigged that Lee is one of those rare things I'd be very surprised.  

Frankly, even with the age we'd the injury record,  it would cost a fair bit to bring the intelligence he brings to the team. 

Someone who gets the rythmn of a game. 

• Like 5
  • Love 3