What exactly do YOU want?

1 minute ago, wednesdaywizard said:

Hope so.  I've got my season ticket either way.  Ready to move on now.

me too...can't imagine when or how we'll be back inside the ground watching. And, what will happen with the League's 1 and 2 clubs  with no fans for 6 months

• Like 1

Just now, daveyboy66 said:

me too...can't imagine when or how we'll be back inside the ground watching. And, what will happen with the League's 1 and 2 clubs  with no fans for 6 months

You've got to think that the EFL have to change their stance on FFP if only to allow clubs a window to recover from the financial blow of the lockdown.

The classic (Wednesday) scenario will be for the group of clubs entangled in all the FFP legalities now to be the last to be penalised in such a way, or for such reasons, and for the EFL to suspend their disciplinary measures around FFP before deciding to revamp the whole thing and give clubs more financial flexibility.

8 hours ago, rickygoo said:

We sure can. Hindsight is the prime way of judging the way a football club has operated. But I can forgive a lack of success - that happens with most clubs. True "he had a go" - but not like Wolves. The players he bought would have struggled in the Premier League. Look at the play-off final team. How many of them were proper Premier League standard? How many of them have ended up there? Some had tried and failed. Others were on the way down. True you can only spend what you can spend. But if you can't afford to spend like Wolves or bring in someone like Bielsa you have to ask how much you should gamble and how much you should build sensibly. 

Not putting a proper structure in place is a basic simple mistake. Yes hindsight helps reveal how big a mistake it was but it's pretty obvious that this was an error.  What is unforgivable though isn't an "error" - it's a deliberate policy.  He was happy to sacrifice Wednesday's reputation as a club at the heart of a community that's way off the wealthiest in the country. We are Premier League for being rob dogs. And actually suggesting that the high prices were designed to deter away fans was to me about the worst thing Chansiri has done.  Saying it's happened to us over the years is no defence. We moaned when Leeds did it - and suddenly it was OK when it was our turn. That to me shows at his core he's not pro-fan - at worst he's anti the average football fan at best he simply misunderstands and somewhere in the middle he couldn't care.

I'm not a fan. Soz.

Yeah, don't disagree with a lot of that.

When I referred to trying to build a team to get us out of the championship, i was referring to exactly that. I wasn't intimating it would then be good enough to sustain us in the Prem. Not the ideal scenario but that was how it was playing out. 

If anything, Wolves went sh*t or bust in a much more adventurous way than we did, which actually worked in their favour once they HAD achieved Prem status. All's well that ends well as some guy from Stratford apparently said,  but if it hadn't worked for them, I wonder what THEIR fans would be saying right now. Maybe they're not as 'business risk averse' as some here & realise the risk that goes with 'going for it'?? 

I also think the sudden, almost unplanned success of of Carlos's first year took everyone by surprise including DC and having only missed out by a whisker, had a rush of blood to try & ensure success the following year. Shame on him.

I also think it was screamingly apparent, the gap in class of Hull's players (having had Prem money to invest) compared to ours in the final, which also probably confirmed to everyone at the club, the need to strengthen.  We know how that panned out, but the reasons for doing it were valid, they just weren't done very well. Whether that was DC, CC or some of the dreaded advisor's we'll never know.

DC is a businessman and very few of them are perfect. How many did Leeds get through before finding someone who isn't an out & out crook. Hull, Cardiff, the list goes on & on.

The ticket price thing is an argument that will never be resolved, suffice to say that the majority appear to be more than happy with what they are paying.  you & others see it in a different light so i'm not even going there.

I'm not DCs representative he's big enough & ugly enough (and rich enough) to fight his own battles, but I think this search to find a cross between Mother Theresa & Jeff Bezos will never be resolved and currently I feel we could do an awful lot worse. (Which we have done for the majority of our recent history).

2 hours ago, Tea Baggins said:

What I personally want it to strip the squad down to the bare bones as we are obviously doing and assess what we have (what league we are in first) and see where we need strengthening. A array of targets need identifying by the coaching staff (Monk needs to be given the chance to bring his own in) or if you don't want Monk, then get rid now and bring in his replacement and allow them to have the time and infrastructure to build.

The issue isn't with the plan, its the chances of execution. I doubt with all the good will in the world that DC will ever allow or trust anyone to take the reigns. He's a control freak who is so far in denial he's currently floating in the middle of Egypt.

I just don't see an end to this madness whilst DC is here, I hate to see this but I would rather see us down in L1, him gone and start a slow rebuild than carry on with this maniac and his sidekick running the show.

This post is so full of holes its untrue.

Whilst i agree we needed to rebuild. It's a lot easier to unload than it is to find equivalent or better, quality to replace them, especially when all the other club's in the league are on the lookout for the same quality.

Yeah there are players out there but even if you get hold of a couple, you can't suddenly change everything from scratch. This is why Bruce said it would take 3 transfer windows. You can assemble brilliant players but if they don't gel it doesn't work.

As for your control freak theory. Steve Bruce smashed that. Brought in his own back room staff, bought or loaned the player's he wanted, brought in a cryo chamber to try & address the injury issues etc etc.

Hardly smacks of someone who has no latitude to do anything.

Same old simple, 'easy as that' DC out cliche's from people who don't live in the real world.

• Like 1

Guest Therealrealist
4 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

This post is so full of holes its untrue.

Whilst i agree we needed to rebuild. It's a lot easier to unload than it is to find equivalent or better, quality to replace them, especially when all the other club's in the league are on the lookout for the same quality.

Yeah there are players out there but even if you get hold of a couple, you can't suddenly change everything from scratch. This is why Bruce said it would take 3 transfer windows. You can assemble brilliant players but if they don't gel it doesn't work.

As for your control freak theory. Steve Bruce smashed that. Brought in his own back room staff, bought or loaned the player's he wanted, brought in a cryo chamber to try & address the injury issues etc etc.

Hardly smacks of someone who has no latitude to do anything.

Same old simple, 'easy as that' DC out cliche's from people who don't live in the real world.

Yes we get it,,,you think dc is great..swfc is a well run club and we will soon be back in the premier..welldone dc

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

In the past year or so Sheffield Wednesday have released/lost :

• Gary Hooper
  • Daniel Pudil
  • Marco Matias
  • Alman Abdi
  • George Boyd
  • David Jones
  • Fernando Forestieri
  • Steven Fletcher
  • Sam Hutchinson
  • Morgan Fox
  • Sam Winnall
  • Atdhe Nuhiu

As a fan what do YOU want?

You wanted money off the wage bill - there you go

You want the chairman to cut his cloth accordingly?  There  you go

You want to replace the older/ageing players with new ones? There you go

Does it make you happy? Is this what you want/wanted?

48854217-B7C2-4BEB-8292-C8C42E7BFAB4.png

4 hours ago, Morepork said:

He's a quality player isn't he. A bit more luck around his injuries for us and who knows.

Over here as you'll know the A league is pretty poor much slower, less physical as you'd expect. He seems to be enjoying himself though.

Does he have a box there?

lol

• Haha 1

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

I'd like to see a few more tap-ins. 

I like a spanker as much as the next man.

But I really like a tap-in.

I always feel it somehow cuts deeper.

Agree Snoots. Nothing says we’re taking the p!ss out if you more than a tap in.

13 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

In the past year or so Sheffield Wednesday have released/lost :

• Gary Hooper
  • Daniel Pudil
  • Marco Matias
  • Alman Abdi
  • George Boyd
  • David Jones
  • Fernando Forestieri
  • Steven Fletcher
  • Sam Hutchinson
  • Morgan Fox
  • Sam Winnall
  • Atdhe Nuhiu

As a fan what do YOU want?

You wanted money off the wage bill - there you go

You want the chairman to cut his cloth accordingly?  There  you go

You want to replace the older/ageing players with new ones? There you go

Does it make you happy? Is this what you want/wanted?

I want a TEAM of players who will give their all for the club, not just a group of individuals.

I want a club that can stand on it's own 2 feet and not be reliant on the owner.

I want a club that has a respected academy that produces our own players and even our own coaches.

I want continuation with in the club when it come to management and coaching, not a change of manager followed by a change in players and tactics every few months.

11 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

If DC is as minted as we are led to believe, I would like him to spend on the academy facilities and ground upgrades, which are exempt from PandS calculations.

"What a moron DC is. This guy does not have a clue how to run a football club. The sooner he goes the better. Even Mammadov would have been better than him.

Who in their right mind throws money at infrastructure projects whilst the team is heading for league one. We should be spending on players not throwing money away on the ground".

THERE YOU SEE.  I CAN ALSO PREDICT THE FUTURE.

It's a gift.

🙂

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, Green Calx said:

A realistic plan

Clear communication 

Structure 

Young hungry players 

A team to be proud of

Excellent points. All valid too, perhaps not in the order I'd go with, but it has to start at the top with the plan in the first place. The thing to remember here, it's not rocket science all this. Our errors have been basic simple ones that if avoided would have allowed us to progress. DC wanting to run the shop right through to the toilet roll order doesn't help. People have to be allowed to do their jobs. Lines of accountability etc. A face or a name at the club running things. Someone who knows / knew about how to run a football

Selling players when their stock is high although painful though it might have been was the right way to go. For me, Nando would have been off after what he did end of story. He certainly wouldn't have got a better deal out of it. 

This whole Wednesday family was the right thing, but in the wrong areas. Players come & players go. The fans are the family. Always have been and always will be. Players are employees looking out for themselves no matter how good they may be.

The question is, will he ever learn?

As the Carvalhal era team and the financial fall out resulting from it fades into history, it will be interesting to see how things develop in the next couple of years in determining how enthusiastic the chairman is, what funding he's willing to commit, and perhaps most pertinently, what lessons he might have learned from his tenure so far.

• Like 6