What exactly do YOU want?

I want us to set up how we want to play football, what style, what formation. 

I want manager who wants to and knows how to play that style of football. 

I want that in case we have to sack (or lose) said manager we have ready made list of potential replacements who would continue to play same style of football. 

I want all our under age squads to play same style so they know what to do if given chance. 

I want ever growing list of targets that would suit to how we want to play. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mkowl said:

The key was post the Wembley loss to Hull to sit back and identify where the squad needed strengthening - but with a plan in place to identify and try to recruit younger ones to fit in and potentially be a saleable asset.

Instead we acquired off the shelf, expensive but injury prone players and a manager in Carlos who seemed incapable of integrating a good proportion of said players into the team.

Don't like going over this, but Fletcher was a good signing at the time. If they'd both stayed fit I'm convinced Hooper and Fletcher would have been a great partnership.

What we needed was a midfield athlete and possibly a replacement for Loovens.

If we'd had Aaron Moy instead of Huddersfield we may well have done it the season after.

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

..."a manager who has a track record of some success..." ?

Hmmmm.

Sounds more like the usual routine of 'anyone other than [insert name of current incumbent here]' rather than any kind of principle or standard.

If you are going to employ someone to build you a house, would you feel safer hiring someone who’s built one before? or would you rather continue with someone who has started building 4 houses previously but has been sacked before the roof was even put on, and falls out with the bricklayers in a process?

Guest Mcguigan
1 hour ago, briggowl said:

Yeah at least 90% of the fan base would go back to after the Wembley game. It’s hear things started to go horribly wrong with recruitment.

Dunno what DC thinks went wrong or perhaps he still genuinely thinks he’s done a great job?!?!!?!?????!

Yep, agree.

We finished the season with 7 strikers in the squad, all of whom played some part during the season. 7 strikers!! how do keep harmony across that lot, how do you keep a competitive edge in training when 4 of them will not even make the squad.

Rhodes

Fletcher

Winnall

Hooper

Forestieri

Nuhui

Joao

There must be over £8m a season in wages there and you can only field 2 of them. Absolutely crazy recruitment. 

Laugh is, the season after, our top goalscorer was Nuhui who was probably the lowest paid of the lot.

22 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

Yep, agree.

We finished the season with 7 strikers in the squad, all of whom played some part during the season. 7 strikers!! how do keep harmony across that lot, how do you keep a competitive edge in training when 4 of them will not even make the squad.

Rhodes

Fletcher

Winnall

Hooper

Forestieri

Nuhui

Joao

There must be over £8m a season in wages there and you can only field 2 of them. Absolutely crazy recruitment. 

Laugh is, the season after, our top goalscorer was Nuhui who was probably the lowest paid of the lot.

Totally agree but as we’ve fans we’ve also criticised the club, rightly so, for letting players go without a replacement' maybe that was the plan but couldn’t then get shut?

• Like 1

What I personally want it to strip the squad down to the bare bones as we are obviously doing and assess what we have (what league we are in first) and see where we need strengthening. A array of targets need identifying by the coaching staff (Monk needs to be given the chance to bring his own in) or if you don't want Monk, then get rid now and bring in his replacement and allow them to have the time and infrastructure to build.

The issue isn't with the plan, its the chances of execution. I doubt with all the good will in the world that DC will ever allow or trust anyone to take the reigns. He's a control freak who is so far in denial he's currently floating in the middle of Egypt.

I just don't see an end to this madness whilst DC is here, I hate to see this but I would rather see us down in L1, him gone and start a slow rebuild than carry on with this maniac and his sidekick running the show.

12 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

In the past year or so Sheffield Wednesday have released/lost :

• Gary Hooper
  • Daniel Pudil
  • Marco Matias
  • Alman Abdi
  • George Boyd
  • David Jones
  • Fernando Forestieri
  • Steven Fletcher
  • Sam Hutchinson
  • Morgan Fox
  • Sam Winnall
  • Atdhe Nuhiu

As a fan what do YOU want?

You wanted money off the wage bill - there you go

You want the chairman to cut his cloth accordingly?  There  you go

You want to replace the older/ageing players with new ones? There you go

Does it make you happy? Is this what you want/wanted?

Exactly this, although you will get a few on here arguing he shouldn't be signing these players in the first place or shouldn't have given them the contracts they had. 

2 hours ago, Django said:

If you are going to employ someone to build you a house, would you feel safer hiring someone who’s built one before? or would you rather continue with someone who has started building 4 houses previously but has been sacked before the roof was even put on, and falls out with the bricklayers in a process?

A lot of posters cite principles of what they require from a manager, usually for the purposes of disqualifying the current incumbent, and then immediately give examples of who might be better that do not conform with them. In this case, I see little in the respective past records of Monk and Rowett to demonstrate that one is clearly better than the other. Probably the best job either of them has done at any point is the former helping Swansea retain their Premier League status a couple of times. As for getting the sack, I would imagine the same could be said for the large majority, including some of the best. How many times has Jose Mourinho been given the elbow for instance?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, malek said:

I want us to set up how we want to play football, what style, what formation. 

I want manager who wants to and knows how to play that style of football. 

I want that in case we have to sack (or lose) said manager we have ready made list of potential replacements who would continue to play same style of football. 

I want all our under age squads to play same style so they know what to do if given chance. 

I want ever growing list of targets that would suit to how we want to play. 

Completely agree but I might add,

I want the fan base to get on board this long term plan and understand there maybe short term pain. So patience is needed but it should allow us to go forward as a club.

• Like 1

Just now, matthefish2002 said:

Is Fletcher definitely leaving?
Of course not signing for the final month would indicate he is off but not seen anything definite that he wont be here next season like we have seen with Hutchinson, FF or Nuhiu.

What the hell......

lol

Owlstalk Shop

Not read whole thread .

EFL bllx is of course going to prevent any progress.  Players will not come to us if a) we are relegated or b) starting next season on -12 , -15,  -21 points.    So recruitment for next season is a non starter at the moment.  Until we know what our immediate future holds, we cant plan anything.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

that would make a good thread.

3/10 from me.

Under Bruce we were 8/10 for recruitment. Rightly or wrongly I put that down to him and his team. 

They're still here...they didn't leave with him ???????????

19 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Completely agree but I might add,

I want the fan base to get on board this long term plan and understand there maybe short term pain. So patience is needed but it should allow us to go forward as a club.

Always said that I would accept us making one step back right now to make two forward in the future. 

I want this season over.  I want a decision, one way or another, as to what league we'll be in next season and then I want to forget about this season.

I want the club to have its arse in gear with regards to who is being brought in (there's been plenty of talk and time to think about it so I hope it has been planned meticulously regardless of what league we'll be in) and the club need to be on time with releasing a new kit that is bright yellow, orange and pink so that it doesn't remind us that we're Sheffield Wednesday fans and bring back memories of the last 2/3 years.

Just now, wednesdaywizard said:

I want this season over.  I want a decision, one way or another, as to what league we'll be in next season and then I want to forget about this season.

I want the club to have its arse in gear with regards to who is being brought in (there's been plenty of talk and time to think about it so I hope it has been planned meticulously regardless of what league we'll be in) and the club need to be on time with releasing a new kit that is bright yellow, orange and pink so that it doesn't remind us that we're Sheffield Wednesday fans and bring back memories of the last 2/3 years.

we'll be in the Championship...maybe with a points deduction or not...