What exactly do YOU want?

Personally I want Chansiri to appoint a director of football and a commercial director to run the club. I want a plan that the fans know about and that they can get behind. Personally I have no issue with a few years of building, if we go with the kids along with frees and loans I have no issue with that. Chansiri has to restructure the prices or he'll lose people forever. Regardless of what happens with the EFL, this is a big off season for Sheffield Wednesday. Easily the biggest of Chansiri's time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Personally I want Chansiri to appoint a director of football and a commercial director to run the club. I want a plan that the fans know about and that they can get behind. Personally I have no issue with a few years of building, if we go with the kids along with frees and loans I have no issue with that. Chansiri has to restructure the prices or he'll lose people forever. Regardless of what happens with the EFL, this is a big off season for Sheffield Wednesday. Easily the biggest of Chansiri's time.

100% agree with those points. Absolutely every dept of the club needs to be up for extensive review. Alas, unless DC gives those responsibilities to qualified professionals we will continue to lurch from one failure to another.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Morepork said:

100% agree with those points. Absolutely every dept of the club needs to be up for extensive review. Alas, unless DC gives those responsibilities to qualified professionals we will continue to lurch from one failure to another.

Yeah, I do fear he's too proud to give those positions up to people who would best suit it. It's why changing the manager would make little difference really. Without the proper structure around him Monk (or whoever) can only do so much. Unless it's an exceptional manager and that is like the proverbial needle in a haystack.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigthinrob said:

Yeah we can slag DC in hindsight,

We sure can. Hindsight is the prime way of judging the way a football club has operated. But I can forgive a lack of success - that happens with most clubs. True "he had a go" - but not like Wolves. The players he bought would have struggled in the Premier League. Look at the play-off final team. How many of them were proper Premier League standard? How many of them have ended up there? Some had tried and failed. Others were on the way down. True you can only spend what you can spend. But if you can't afford to spend like Wolves or bring in someone like Bielsa you have to ask how much you should gamble and how much you should build sensibly. 

Not putting a proper structure in place is a basic simple mistake. Yes hindsight helps reveal how big a mistake it was but it's pretty obvious that this was an error.  What is unforgivable though isn't an "error" - it's a deliberate policy.  He was happy to sacrifice Wednesday's reputation as a club at the heart of a community that's way off the wealthiest in the country. We are Premier League for being rob dogs. And actually suggesting that the high prices were designed to deter away fans was to me about the worst thing Chansiri has done.  Saying it's happened to us over the years is no defence. We moaned when Leeds did it - and suddenly it was OK when it was our turn. That to me shows at his core he's not pro-fan - at worst he's anti the average football fan at best he simply misunderstands and somewhere in the middle he couldn't care.

I'm not a fan. Soz.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

In the past year or so Sheffield Wednesday have released/lost :

• Gary Hooper
  • Daniel Pudil
  • Marco Matias
  • Alman Abdi
  • George Boyd
  • David Jones
  • Fernando Forestieri
  • Morgan Fox
  • Sam Winnall
  • Atdhe Nuhiu

Hooper is playing in New Zealand of all places.

Pudil in the Czech league.

Matias for a midlevel Premiera Liga side.

Abdi is out of football.

George Boyd is playing in League 1.

David Jones is out of football after a stint in League 1.

Forestieri is out of contract, will probably catch on somewhere.

Fletcher is out of contract, and likely out of football unless he takes a deep pay cut.

Hutchinson is out of contract, and may be out of football given his injury history.

Fox is still out of contract, and is going to end up in League 1.

Winnall is out of contract, and I'm surprised he hasn't been picked up.

Nuhiu is out in 48 hours, and probably won't be playing EFL football.

Should have taken steps to hold onto Winnall and (especially, given that he would likely be inexpensive) Nuhiu.  The rest, well, I think they were more or less at the end of the road anyway, or weren't at the level needed or weren't at the level of the wages that they had grown accustomed to.

It's a much cleaner slate going forward, certainly.

1 hour ago, Indoor Owl said:

Hooper is playing in New Zealand of all places.

Oi.....don't knock it. lol

He's here for the scenery, weather, food, skiing, beaches, lack of Covid.......I reckon he made the best transfer move of all those.

I hope/ pray/ wish that MrC has seen the error of his ways and is already working on restructuring the club from top to bottom.

he needs to bring in an experienced CEO to ensure the club is run properly on a day to day basis.

he needs to bring in an experienced DoF to ensure their is a plan ( like soton and Brentford have) for the footballing side of things going forward.

he needs to bring an experienced first team manager ( Nigel Pearson) and give him control of the first team. Including decent coaches ( Craig Shakespeare) and whatever else he feels he needs, scientists, scouts etc.

put those things in place and everything else will follow: if he gets the right people. We certainly won’t end up in this fuckingmess again.

8 hours ago, mkowl said:

The key was post the Wembley loss to Hull to sit back and identify where the squad needed strengthening - but with a plan in place to identify and try to recruit younger ones to fit in and potentially be a saleable asset.

Instead we acquired off the shelf, expensive but injury prone players and a manager in Carlos who seemed incapable of integrating a good proportion of said players into the team.

Yeah at least 90% of the fan base would go back to after the Wembley game. It’s hear things started to go horribly wrong with recruitment.

Dunno what DC thinks went wrong or perhaps he still genuinely thinks he’s done a great job?!?!!?!?????!

26 minutes ago, Plonk said:

I hope/ pray/ wish that MrC has seen the error of his ways and is already working on restructuring the club from top to bottom.

he needs to bring in an experienced CEO to ensure the club is run properly on a day to day basis.

he needs to bring in an experienced DoF to ensure their is a plan ( like soton and Brentford have) for the footballing side of things going forward.

he needs to bring an experienced first team manager ( Nigel Pearson) and give him control of the first team. Including decent coaches ( Craig Shakespeare) and whatever else he feels he needs, scientists, scouts etc.

put those things in place and everything else will follow: if he gets the right people. We certainly won’t end up in this fuckingmess again.

Nigel Pearson (Mr arrogance) working with a director of football though?

Other than that I totally agree

5 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I hope he realises this. Even when DC came to the club we’d been run so badly that anything would have been acceptable in terms of a plan for sustainability and gradual progression. I’d have taken that over promises of Premier league. I think most fans watched on trusting that he knew what he was doing though a bit baffled by signings after the Wembley game. He’s really screwed it up with throwing his money away and ffp!!! 

The pricing needs addressing. Dunno how you do that after selling multi year STs!?

8 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Agreed mate

On a 1 to 10 scale - how confident are you currently that we're gonna get it right?

that would make a good thread.

3/10 from me.

Under Bruce we were 8/10 for recruitment. Rightly or wrongly I put that down to him and his team. 

8 hours ago, room0035 said:

It's more of an indictment that when you think what that lot cost, the wages they were on and they all left on frees.

£100m wasted to be worst off than when he started.

What I want is a sustainable, competitive team, that want to play for the club. A chairman who values the fans not rips then off and companies that exist involved in the club. Not the chairman's name on the stands, the shirts, the seats, the advertising.

Oh and final I want a competent manager and coaching staff that improve players not make them worse.

And being really greedy how about more than 10 goals in 23 home games in the first half, though that might be pushing my luck a bit.

Terrific post. Agree wholeheartedly mate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

Oi.....don't knock it. lol

He's here for the scenery, weather, food, skiing, beaches, lack of Covid.......I reckon he made the best transfer move of all those.

Ive seen highlights of the games he’s played in.

Hes a Rolls Royce still isn’t he?

Pity his chassis was so fragile and in the garage for months on end. What a striker. 

I want DC to communicate to fans with something meaningful. I want him to say, ‘I’ve got things wrong but this is how we’re going to put things right’

Then a plan that includes affordable ticket prices, a wage strategy that we won’t break, a transfer policy that we stick to, a playing style (aggressive attacking was used in the first season), appointment of football staff that can competently deliver the plan.

You then use this plan to inform all decision making ie competency of Garry Monk or whoever replaces him.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Ive seen highlights of the games he’s played in.

Hes a Rolls Royce still isn’t he?

Pity his chassis was so fragile and in the garage for months on end. What a striker. 

He's a quality player isn't he. A bit more luck around his injuries for us and who knows.

Over here as you'll know the A league is pretty poor much slower, less physical as you'd expect. He seems to be enjoying himself though.