What exactly do YOU want?

13 minutes ago, Rogers said:

1) a strategy / plan for

a) first team (style and transfer policy)

b) commercial revenue generation and revenue streams UK and abroad 

c) manager ethics and philosophy,

d) Hillsborough stadium upgrades or stadium move,

e) fan base communications

f) increasing / retaining fan base
g) youth set up

All of the above has a to goal of:

2) developing competitive team

Age of the players, etc. I don’t care about. If we had a team of 35 year olds that could do a job and stay fit for one season and get results, who cares. 

It’s about quality, fitting a squad position, being consistent 

Waddle, Anderson, Francis, etc. all did jobs and were over 30

Some facts you seem to have missed.

DC the most communicative owner we have ever had 

highest averages in recent memory have been under DC up untill last season 

Youth academy is a cat 2 step up to cat 1 is huge by the way but as been a stated aim..

Edited by dowls
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, 83owl said:

More an indication of what point in their careers the players were when we signed them. FF obviously we missed out on making a big profit, Matias maybe had he stayed fit and adapted to the English game quicker we could have made a decent profit but the likes of fletcher, hooper, jones, hutch, boyd, pudil we were never going to get a fee for.

We were a bit unlucky with winnall as his injury basically scrapped any value he had from his record at Barnsley. 

Absolutely.

I think we all know what the problem has been now it has actually unfolded. 

Time to move on, use the oft used cliche "learn from our mistakes" and use them to our advantage in future.

We gave it a go which didn't quite pan out. In hindsight, once the first two attempts didn't deliver, it was never going to be a longer term sustainable situation. The types of player were designed to get us up at all costs & it was always going to not end well once we didn't achieve this.

Yeah we can slag DC in hindsight, but if it had paid off like it did for Wolves, none of these discussions would be taking place. 

Yeah we can have a pop, but at least he gave it a go & nothing to say he won't again, but like all the armchair experts on here, with the benefit of hindsight which should help him.

If he makes (or allows ) the same mistakes again, then there's no argument.

As we said earlier, get the EFL off our backs and dust down & start again. 

I've said it time & again, fortunes in football turn massively quickly, and last years also ran's can be the next season's challenger's.

Ask Wolves.

• Like 3

Guest LondonOwl313
1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

In the past year or so Sheffield Wednesday have released/lost :

• Gary Hooper
  • Daniel Pudil
  • Marco Matias
  • Alman Abdi
  • George Boyd
  • David Jones
  • Fernando Forestieri
  • Steven Fletcher
  • Sam Hutchinson
  • Morgan Fox
  • Sam Winnall
  • Atdhe Nuhiu

As a fan what do YOU want?

You wanted money off the wage bill - there you go

You want the chairman to cut his cloth accordingly?  There  you go

You want to replace the older/ageing players with new ones? There you go

Does it make you happy? Is this what you want/wanted?

As a fan I don’t care about us cutting our cloth accordingly or getting money off the wage bill. We pay the highest prices in the league to watch so I expect a top quality product.

Im happy for any player to move on but only if they’re replaced with equal quality.

What I thought should happen is the squad size should have been cut down so that we aren’t wasting wages on players we don’t need or who don’t play. I also thought some on that list were too injury prone or coming to an end with us. But not happy with the lack of quality coming in the other way.

I expect players of the quality of Hooper, Hutchinson, Wallace and FF to be signed to ensure we don’t move backwards. That hasn’t happened so mediocrity awaits, and that makes me unhappy. Ticket prices should be slashed to reflect the crap on the pitch but I won’t hold my breath 

Edited by LondonOwl313

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

In the past year or so Sheffield Wednesday have released/lost :

• Gary Hooper
  • Daniel Pudil
  • Marco Matias
  • Alman Abdi
  • George Boyd
  • David Jones
  • Fernando Forestieri
  • Steven Fletcher
  • Sam Hutchinson
  • Morgan Fox
  • Sam Winnall
  • Atdhe Nuhiu

As a fan what do YOU want?

You wanted money off the wage bill - there you go

You want the chairman to cut his cloth accordingly?  There  you go

You want to replace the older/ageing players with new ones? There you go

Does it make you happy? Is this what you want/wanted?

Crazy post.

DC promised top quality players for top prices. We got top prices but didn’t get the quality. We’ve still got top prizes and NO players. Bleedin’ crazy. A scam almost.

I personally want DC to sell up or get someone in to run the club. He’s a control freak which is fine sometimes when you have knowledge and vision but he has neither when it comes to football.

Hes the owner, he’s made the decisions, he’s responsible for his staff.  He’s useless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

There are twenty-four plans each season, twenty-one of them will fail. Some will plan meticulously and still fail, some will get lucky and succeed with a poor plan. 

No guarantees. 

This is a perspective that doesn't get enough consideration, lost amongst all the bluster and second-guessing.

If the collective genius of football supporters came up with a list of 100 principles, and every club in the division followed them absolutely, one would still end up on top and one on the bottom.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Of the players on that list they all could do the business on their day but the only problem was those days were few and far between or well in the past. 

I’m happy to get some of the high earners and older players off the books, if for  no other reason that it eases FFP/P&S going forwards.

Am I happy/confident that we will get it right going forwards? Hell no. 

36 minutes ago, dowls said:

Some facts you seem to have missed.

DC the most communicative owner we have ever had 

highest averages in recent memory have been under DC up untill last season 

Youth academy is a cat 2 step up to cat 1 is huge by the way but as been a stated aim..

the question was “what do you (we) want?”. Yeah. 

It wasn’t what do we want that DC isn’t doing. 

But if you want to get into it...we’ve had loads of crap behind the scenes and it’s radio silence. Mainly due to legal / regulatory proceedings, which brings up the question on why were are constantly battling in proceedings. 

In general, I’d rather not hear from the Chairman; I want to hear about exciting transfers from the manager, CEO, or DoF. Like every football fan. 

In the last 5 years, 2 of those seasons have been the most successful in 20+ years; so of course crowds are going to be up (on average).  From next season onwards, let’s see how the curve goes. 

We are miles behind Sheff Utd on The youth set up, and we share the city. What young talent are we going to get and bring through to the first team? Compared to Utd? where a lot have gone on to play for England.  

• Thanks 2

I think many fans see success and failure in binary terms. Promotion = Success, Relegation = Failure, Everything in between is Meh. But there's actually much more to it than that. 

Top Priority - Run the club in a professional manner. 

Have a plan - No, I mean really have a plan, don't just say you have a plan for the short, medium and long term and then roll the dice with your fingers crossed. Plans don't always work in sport or business but, at the very least you should be working to one.

If things go wrong and we can't point to mismanagement, poor decision making and recklessness then its much easier to forgive underachievement.

I want to look at the club and feel pride in the way it goes about its business, on and off the field. Regardless of league position I'd see that as a success. 

• Like 3

My stock answer to the question the OP poses is usually, 'A leggy blonde'.

Having read the previous 5 pages of this thread, I've decided it's still the best answer and I'm sticking with it.

Bless you all 😇

Edited by Rev Owl
  • Haha 1