What exactly do YOU want?

4 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

This is a hilarious part of SWFC folklore that people will always use. Not saying you are. 

If I'm being honest I did want the owner to keep investing, who wouldn't. What I didn't expect was it to be done completelt unsustainably and hugely threatening to our progress.

If the quesrion had been phrased, 'would you like swfc to continue investing in past it, injury prone, valueless, has beens which will enter us into a mid to long term cycle of FFP courtroom drama, I might have said... not for me thanks. 

But the chairman didn’t ask that. He asked if we wanted to continue paying extortionate ticket prices to enable the club attract top players. 

The answer to this question was a resounding yes, but it turns out the chairman cannot keep his side of the deal. 

I think what will go down in folklaw  will be a chairman that charged the fans for one thing but delivered something entirely different. 

• Like 2

All we can realistically hope for is some kind of progress on the field. Personally I’m glad most of those players are now gone.

I don’t mind paying high ticket prices if we are progressing on the field and that all comes down to good recruitment by someone who knows what they’re doing.

Our near neighbours have proven it’s about getting the right people in not necessarily spending like there’s no tomorrow.

1 minute ago, shez owl said:

Literally nothing makes me happy about swfc... but I’m in favour of that

I think the ultimate paradox is that I love everything about the club so much and the fans that follow us that any notion that a regime in charge of us isn't looking after us makes it hard to accept. 

1 minute ago, Suzuki_San said:

Gary Hooper - Wellington Phoenix.

Daniel Pudil - FK Mladá Boleslav.

Marco Matias - Belenenses SAD.

Almen Abdi - Retired.

George Boyd - Peterborough.

David Jones - Retired.

Fernando Forestieri - Unknown.

Steven Fletcher - Unknown.

Sam Hutchinson - Unknown.

Morgan Fox - Unknown.

Sam Winnall - Unknown.

Atdhe Nuhiu - Unknown.

Not exactly setting the world alight, are/were they?  It was arguably the perfect time for all of them to leave and us to get new blood in.  Younger, hungrier, fitter, more athletic players. 

We as fans, need to make sure that we give any younger players we get in more time, however.  We are really not the best at nurturing young talent.  We are far too impatient as a fan base.  

You right in saying they haven't gone on to anything better, 

Some of them should have been sold before they reached their best before date though.

53 minutes ago, Django said:

I’d rather have a manager who has a track record of some success to be putting this plan together 

28 minutes ago, dowls said:

So when we picked Monk who did you want instead?

25 minutes ago, Django said:

Rowett obvs

..."a manager who has a track record of some success..." ?

Hmmmm.

Sounds more like the usual routine of 'anyone other than [insert name of current incumbent here]' rather than any kind of principle or standard.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pod9 said:

But the chairman didn’t ask that. He asked if we wanted to continue paying extortionate ticket prices to enable the club attract top players. 

The answer to this question was a resounding yes, but it turns out the chairman cannot keep his side of the deal. 

I think what will go down in folklaw  will be a chairman that charged the fans for one thing but delivered something entirely different. 

The club has made a fair few mistakes, some of them naive things that are disappointing and frustrating but possibly understandable if the are learned from, this one was worse than that.

Regardless of what people think of the players who have left, we need to recruit with the same quality at least.

I agree that we need hungry young players who really want to play for the club but we must retain quality.

As I have said in a previous post we need leaders at the club. A strong backbone of a quality experienced goalkeeper, a strong leading centre back, a hard running and tackling midfielder and a tough strong running centre forward. These positions are key to form the backbone of any successful team.

39 minutes ago, Mac_77 said:

I wanted/want the long term future of the club putting first instead of chucking multi million pound contracts about like confetti and having Chansiri plastered all over our crumbling stadium.

Give it a fuc*in rest.

Sounds like something from the scum across town.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, dowls said:

So when we picked Monk who did you want instead?

Unfortunately at the time options were restricted and until the EFL case is resolved this will be the same in terms of any considered managerial change and players coming in.

Monk wasn't an unsurprising or particularly disappointing appointment when he was given the job but over the course of the season he has been uninspiring and disappointing. 

9 minutes ago, Suzuki_San said:

Gary Hooper - Wellington Phoenix.

Daniel Pudil - FK Mladá Boleslav.

Marco Matias - Belenenses SAD.

Almen Abdi - Retired.

George Boyd - Peterborough.

David Jones - Retired.

Fernando Forestieri - Unknown.

Steven Fletcher - Unknown.

Sam Hutchinson - Unknown.

Morgan Fox - Unknown.

Sam Winnall - Unknown.

Atdhe Nuhiu - Unknown.

Not exactly setting the world alight, are/were they?  It was arguably the perfect time for all of them to leave and us to get new blood in.  Younger, hungrier, fitter, more athletic players. 

We as fans, need to make sure that we give any younger players we get in more time, however.  We are really not the best at nurturing young talent.  We are far too impatient as a fan base.  

More an indication of what point in their careers the players were when we signed them. FF obviously we missed out on making a big profit, Matias maybe had he stayed fit and adapted to the English game quicker we could have made a decent profit but the likes of fletcher, hooper, jones, hutch, boyd, pudil we were never going to get a fee for.

We were a bit unlucky with winnall as his injury basically scrapped any value he had from his record at Barnsley. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, room0035 said:

It's more of an indictment that when you think what that lot cost, the wages they were on and they all left on frees.

£100m wasted to be worst off than when he started.

What I want is a sustainable, competitive team, that want to play for the club. A chairman who values the fans not rips then off and companies that exist involved in the club. Not the chairman's name on the stands, the shirts, the seats, the advertising.

Oh and final I want a competent manager and coaching staff that improve players not make them worse.

And being really greedy how about more than 10 goals in 23 home games in the first half, though that might be pushing my luck a bit.

This. I want this.

6 minutes ago, PortlandOwl said:

Financial stability, reasonable ticket prices, a team always giving 100%...oh and new owners. 

World peace, end to poverty, end to hunger, curing climate change, oh and Mary Poppins singing a nice song that wins us Eurovision.

1) a strategy / plan for

a) first team (style and transfer policy)

b) commercial revenue generation and revenue streams UK and abroad 

c) manager ethics and philosophy,

d) Hillsborough stadium upgrades or stadium move,

e) fan base communications

f) increasing / retaining fan base
g) youth set up

All of the above has a to goal of:

2) developing competitive team

Age of the players, etc. I don’t care about. If we had a team of 35 year olds that could do a job and stay fit for one season and get results, who cares. 

It’s about quality, fitting a squad position, being consistent 

Waddle, Anderson, Francis, etc. all did jobs and were over 30

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You left the names of Lucas Joao and Jack Hunt off that list, the only two for whom incoming transfer fees.

In that vein I would like us to become a club that can spot young talent, develop it and sell on at profit.

To do that we must put the structure in place to spot, recruit and coach improvement to to young players before their contracts expire.

Its the only way to live within your means in the current Championship setup.

In short less, money on player wages, more on recruitment, coaching, and astute transfer dealing.

Thats what I want to see, I only hope our owner has a similar vision of the future.

• Like 2