Adthe Nuhiu - definitely leaving SWFC

Guest hirstysfags

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

We didn't get battered at Brighton we drew, the players put every ounce of effort they had into that game.

I've seen some miserable Wednesday teams down the years, and many horrendous results, but I've never seen us take as much of a battering as we did in the first half of that second leg. Had we come in 0-5 down at the interval, we could not have argued it was a fluke. Fortunately, Brighton did not get the goals to go with it and ran out of steam. The players no doubt gave their all, but we cannot pretend that it couldn't easily have ended very differently. Our win was not a Carvalhal tactical masterclass and owed a great deal to plain old good fortune (which also included the injuries suffered in the first leg as mentioned previously).

Edited by DJMortimer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Are you for real ?

Yep. I know it's easy for some to say 'Carlos bottled it' when looking at our two playoff campaigns, but I think in one, we benefited from a team having an injury crisis, and in the other, had an injury crisis ourselves, I think it helps understand what happened better rather than 'Carlos bottled it'...

Edited by Carbone

1 minute ago, Carbone said:

I think you need to watch the game again until we equalised!

I was down there, never been so nervous until we got that goal. They were destroying us and we could have been out of it

I was there too, and frankly wasn't that worried, I thought Brighton, even though played at a high tempo it wasn't well executed and was more bluster than directed. 

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

I've seen some miserable Wednesday teams down the years, and many horrendous results, but I've never seen us take as much of a battering as we did in the first half of that second leg. Had we come in 0-5 down at the interval, we could not have argued it was a fluke. Fortunately, Brighton did not get the goals to go with it and ran out of steam. The players no doubt gave their all, but we cannot pretend that it couldn't easily have ended very differently. Our win was not a Carvalhal tactical masterclass and owed a great deal to plain old good fortune (which also included the injuries suffered in the first leg as mentioned previously).

Always down to luck when Wednesday gets a good result.

5 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Always down to luck when Wednesday gets a good result.

You can't deny we had things go for us vs Brighton and things went against us vs Huddersfield (poor showing in the first leg aside, we were crippled at Hillsborough, like Brighton 12 months before). We all love football because things rarely go according to plan and you can't predict it and that's what is great about it, doesn't mean a good result is always luck, but there will be always things to discuss that we benefited from that also hindered other teams.

Edited by Carbone

Next season we will how much of an impact having the big man around that will be missed 

attey is part of a positive culture for Wednesday and as so many people like to point out his limitations he contributes really well on the pitch 

he’s a massive character and player to replace 

Don’t think we ever recovered properly when we lost Semedo too

Good footballer, great servant, amazing bloke 

all the best big man 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

You can't deny we had things go for us vs Brighton and things went against us vs Huddersfield (poor showing in the first leg aside, we were crippled at Hillsborough, like Brighton 12 months before). We all love football because things rarely go according to plan and you can't predict it and that's what is great about it, doesn't mean a good result is always luck, but there will be always things to discuss that we benefited from that also hindered other teams.

Bugs me, when we win we are lucky and when we lose we deserved it. 

Let's find out why we can't give credit to Wednesday and let's look for a reason to slag them off.  Happens all the time. 

3 minutes ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

Let's find out why we can't give credit to Wednesday and let's look for a reason to slag them off.  Happens all the time. 

Apathy mate ,  as a fanbase we can’t seem to shake it 

Just now, Inspector Lestrade said:

So you don't think fans should say we benefited from Brighton having an injury crisis, and doing so is slagging us off?

15/16 is the best Wednesday season in my memory, I'm very proud of where we got to and we exceeded all expectations, all players and staff deserve massive credit, but that's not going to stop people talking about things that went for us.

18 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

I was at Brighton that night and the first half up until our goal was like the Alamo watching from behind the goal
But I think watching the game as a neutral I would have thought Brighton have thrown all they eggs into 1 basket of giving everything in the first 30 mins. The game was fairly comfortable in the 2nd half and with a bit more composure Wednesday would have won that match as well.

So you don't think fans should say we benefited from Brighton having an injury crisis, and doing so is slagging us off?

15/16 is the best Wednesday season in my memory, I'm very proud of where we got to and we exceeded all expectations, all players and staff deserve massive credit, but that's not going to stop people talking about things that went for us.

I know it's not going to stop them, but saying that we benefited from Brightons crisis is taking away what Wednesday produced, that it wasn't down to Wednesday it was down to Brighton. 

If they had played their strongest side for the full 180 minutes, and we had still beaten them, some fans would still be searching for a reason to take away the credit.  

1 minute ago, matthefish2002 said:

I was at Brighton that night and the first half up until our goal was like the Alamo watching from behind the goal
But I think watching the game as a neutral I would have thought Brighton have thrown all they eggs into 1 basket of giving everything in the first 30 mins. The game was fairly comfortable in the 2nd half and with a bit more composure Wednesday would have won that match as well.

I agree with that, but I'm bemused as to why it makes you some kind of anti-fan for acknowledging we came close to a battering before half-time. After all, that opinion was universal in the media as well, who I imagine are not part of this masochistic self-denial that is being suggested by one defender of the faith? These swings and roundabouts are part of football. At the other end of the spectrum, I was at Highbury when we lost 1-7 there in 1993, and that score absolutely did not reflect how that game went. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

I agree with that, but I'm bemused as to why it makes you some kind of anti-fan for acknowledging we came close to a battering before half-time. After all, that opinion was universal in the media as well, who I imagine are not part of this masochistic self-denial that is being suggested by one defender of the faith? These swings and roundabouts are part of football. At the other end of the spectrum, I was at Highbury when we lost 1-7 there in 1993, and that score absolutely did not reflect how that game went. 

Yes, I remember the Highbury game referred to above. Your assessment of that game is spot on - in fact the score was still 1-1 with about 20 minutes to go !

29 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

The first 30 minutes were the longest of my whole life supporting Wednesday. Half of the team froze. Lees completely lost it in the first 20 minutes of that game, he didn’t know what to do or where he was. I was hollering at him to try and get his head in it but he was like a rabbit in the headlights. I maintain Loovens performance that night is one of the all time great Wednesday performances, not just for the incredible defending he did but for 20 minutes he was literally pushing players into position who had completely frozen and lost it.  Suddenly about 25 minutes in Lees came round and was magnificent from then on. It was like someone put the salts under his nose.

carlos had no answer to it at all, Loovens won us that tie on the pitch.

1 minute ago, Inspector Lestrade said:

I know it's not going to stop them, but saying that we benefited from Brightons crisis is taking away what Wednesday produced, that it wasn't down to Wednesday it was down to Brighton. 

If they had played their strongest side for the full 180 minutes, and we had still beaten them, some fans would still be searching for a reason to take away the credit.  

What you're talking about is probably symptomatic of supporters of clubs who have a long history of letting their fans down 

I understand what you're saying but I think people should be allowed to discuss what happened, and it doesn't necessarily mean they trying to take credit away. We played well against Brighton, and they had an injury crisis. We played poorly against Huddersfield and we had an injury crisis, they are facts. I'm fully taking credit away from Huddersfield - promoted on a negative goal difference and didn't even score a goal themselves in the playoffs. I'm not still bitter I promise..

We all know what a lump he is but he should be given another year as I hate to think who will replace him next season as Wickham, if on loan is another injury prone player and Rhodes will be gone plus FF & Fletcher and we can't afford any decent players because of our finances so next season could be worse than this if that is possible