Where's the fun?

I've been sad this last couple of seasons. Mostly this season. Feeling low about the team, about our prospects, about the atmosphere at games. About all of it. Wondering why, apart from hanging out with our loved ones or following some vague sense of history-related 'obligation', we continue to put in so much thought and energy and - yes - passion, as a collective entity. The long-suffering fans.

You can see it reflected on here, occasionally, and more often in the stands.

Scrapping and sniping and weird petty grudges that drag on and on when we're all wearing the same shirt.

Obviously lively debates and strong opinions are what supporting is all about, but it's been...different for a while. Not as nice. Not as funny. Not as much of a family feeling. I dunno, just kind of 'off'.

So I was trying to remember when I last really *enjoyed* football, whether for glorious moments or laugh-out-loud moments, or whatever, and I kept coming back to some vague memory of an old video I used to have. Looked it up on YouTube: it's Danny Baker doing Own Goals and Gaffes.

Stupid, yes. Is he everyone's cup of tea? Heck no. But I dug it out on YouTube, and this opening segment has me almost weeping for the glory days.

To quote:

"Hello football supporters. At least, I presume you're football supporters - and you'd better be, if you want to get the full maximum joy and entertainment value out of the extraordinary tape you're about to see.

I've wanted to make this tape for ages, and I'll tell you why: it includes a revolutionary thought...and that is, they're no good. None of 'em. Your team, my team. They're not actually very good.

Now of course, in public we all say that our side are kings of the universe - it's only conspiracy the size of the Kennedy assassination that stops everyone from recognising this. (That, and a few dodgy half-backs we've had over the years.) But in fact, in private, and with our closest friends, we know they're capable of some terrible things, and...they're not very good. When they kick off, you know the kind of blunders they can make - and they have made over the years. And when they do it in front of away supporters, urghhhh.

And yet, every time they put out the videos from their clubs, I go and buy their videos. And it convinces us that the season we've just had, well, it had its ups and downs. The fact that we finished rock bottom, didn't win a game from Christmas onwards, and finished with an amount of points that wouldn't have stopped us from driving...it's neither here nor there. It 'had its ups and downs'.

Well, no. This is a celebration of those moments where we can actually say to each other: 'they're no good. Footballers are stupid, irrational creatures, and we waste our money on them.' No harm there, is there?"

My friends, fellow Owls, I can't help but feel that somewhere in here there's a kernel of truth we've left far behind, and need to rediscover.

Not paying any of them 30k a week is a start. Add that to the pile of things that mustn't 'go back to normal' after the horrors of lockdown.

Whatever happens, UTO, and give us a hug you idiots.

(Yes, I've had a beer.)

:duntmatter:lol

(Part 1 free here, it's a lovely thing indeed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEdQCdsQ_6A )

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 7
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Tom said:

I've been sad this last couple of seasons. Mostly this season. Feeling low about the team, about our prospects, about the atmosphere at games. About all of it. Wondering why, apart from hanging out with our loved ones or following some vague sense of history-related 'obligation', we continue to put in so much thought and energy and - yes - passion, as a collective entity. The long-suffering fans.

Scrapping and sniping and weird petty grudges that drag on and on when we're all wearing the same shirt.

Obviously lively debates and strong opinions are what supporting is all about, but it's been...different for a while. Not as nice. Not as funny. Not as much of a family feeling. I dunno, just kind of 'off'.

So I was trying to remember when I last really *enjoyed* football, whether for glorious moments or laugh-out-loud moments, or whatever, and I kept coming back to some vague memory of an old video I used to have. Looked it up on YouTube: it's Danny Baker doing Own Goals and Gaffes.

Stupid, yes. Is he everyone's cup of tea? Heck no. But I dug it out on YouTube, and this opening segment has me almost weeping for the glory days.

To quote:

My friends, fellow Owls, I can't help but feel that somewhere in here there's a kernel of truth we've left far behind, and need to rediscover.

Not paying any of them 30k a week is a start. Add that to the pile of things that mustn't 'go back to normal' after the horrors of lockdown.

Whatever happens, UTO, and give us a hug you idiots.

(Yes, I've had a beer.)

:duntmatter:lol

(Part 1 free here, it's a lovely thing indeed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEdQCdsQ_6A )

30K a week,Pheeew what about the ones on £500,750 K a week???  Its Football Jim...but not as we KNEW it...your right,totally agree,,maybe,just MAYBE post covid,it might change....We are BORN into either Blue or red & white.I couldnt support anyone else,Garry Megson was the year below me,at Malin Bridge School,& lived first 30 years of my life at Hillsborough WAWAW?  I have lived all my life as a Wednesday 'fan' &  will die a Wednesdayite  AIRBORNE

Edited by parajack

We humans are resourceful creatures. 

Being on the other side of the world the Owls are one of the very few things that keep me emotionally connected to my hometown.

On that basis alone I have found a way to justify the frustration and mental anguish involved with being a Wednesday supporter. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Football is now about lying, cheating & bullying refs into 3 points 

They've been saying that since the 90s at least.. and i'm not sure it's any truer now than it was then.
Are the current liverpool side liers, cheats and bullies?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Falling down on the floor, rolling around..

Court cases, hearings, legal challenges etc etc etc

Laid on the floor poleaxed with face into the grass, until attention arrives.

Physio confirms it's a dislocated hairgrip.

Edited by OhForAnotherShez
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Falling down on the floor, rolling around..

Court cases, hearings, legal challenges etc etc etc

And not forgetting the acceptance of the "professional foul" AKA cheating

• Like 3

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

11 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Me and my old mates had this exact conversation on the uncovered Kop in 82/83 as we struggled to another 0-0 v Southend before reaching the semi v Brighton at Highbury.

Before the Wilkinson heady days.

I dare say my predecessors said the same in the early 70s as the dark days descended.

The only difference between then and now is there was no internet to make the depths of our football cycle appear worse as we were without keyboard hysteria.

That is one of the big things i miss about 70s/80s football.

UTO

Edited by Pulsar
  • Like 3

Fouls are spoiling the game, whereas we cannot go back to the agricultural tackle from behind or the get a piece of the ball and you can take the man out, there are way too many fouls

• lost the ball so fall down foul
  • feel a touch and exaggerate foul
  • entitled to go down foul
  • drew a foul
  • won a foul
  • played for a foul
  • bought a foul
  • professional foul
  • drag back foul
  • pushing foul
  • pulling foul
  • foot stamping foul
  • Foot high foul when its not dangerous and you win the ball foul

Some of these need stamping out (pardon the pun) professional fouls deserve a red card until they learn, and the others need ignoring and playing on, you don't get a foul just because you lost the ball, or the other player was stronger, or just because there was a natural coming together.  Way too many fouls and stoppages.

• Like 1

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"