Squad appraisal

Not going to focus on their ability.

I’ll point out they’re all bloody useless to us and they have no backbone, no bottle, no desire, no ambition, as a unit.

You wouldn’t want them in the trenches with you. They’d spend more time with their Luis Vuitton toilet bags than maintaining their weapons. Think It Ain’t Half Hot Mum crossed with Dad’s Army.

Thing is, what I keep coming back to...is if I were a young up and coming prospect looking for a club and manager with a vision of success, would I choose SWFC and Garry Monk as my next step on the ladder?

I’ll leave that one with you.

9 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Fit each player into the following categories. Contracted players for next season only, not including youngsters.

In my opinion, we have seven players who I'd suggest are competent at this level.

- A top 6 Championship player

Barry Bannan

Dominic Iorfa (potentially)

Keiren Westwood

- An average Championship player

Kieran Lee (when fit)

Kadeem Harris

Julian Borner

Adam Reach (borderline)

- A lower end Championship player

Liam Palmer

Tom Lees

Atdhe Nuhiu

Massimo Luongo

- Not good enough for the Championship

Joost van Aken

Jordan Rhodes

Joey Pelupessy

Moses Odubajo

Cameron Dawson

Joe Wildsmith

Paul Jones

Top 6 champ players:

Bannan - at a push. When hes on it, hes different gravy. However, hes also not above making silly mistakes like the rest of this team.

Above average champ players:

Iorfa - just needs some reliable defenders around him so he doesnt end up having to do it all back there. 

Reach (just) - when hes confident and when he has a nailed down position. Not been his season this year but hes a decent enough player.

The rest for me are either average or below average. It might not be popular with some on here, but i dont really rate the likes of Luongo and Harris in midfield and we need better than players like Palmer at the back. If these were backup or squad players, fine. However, as first team weekly starters, they arent good enough. 

Loans:

Murphy (possible top 6 on recent form) - i would keep him if given the chance. Brings more than Harris and makes more of the positions he gets into than Harris does.

Windass (average) - seems to graft and run about a lot, but not sure if hes a forward/attacking mid/midfielder a d where he would fit in. Probs send him back.

Da Cruz (potential to be above average) - if cheap enough, i would be inclined to keep him. Needs to score badly, but you can see hes got something about him. Fast, direct and not scared to run at people. Gets into good positions off the ball too. 

Guest LondonOwl313
10 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Fit each player into the following categories. Contracted players for next season only, not including youngsters.

In my opinion, we have seven players who I'd suggest are competent at this level.

Barry Bannan

Dominic Iorfa (potentially)

Keiren Westwood

Kieran Lee (when fit)

Kadeem Harris

Julian Borner

Adam Reach (borderline)

Liam Palmer

Tom Lees

Atdhe Nuhiu

Massimo Luongo

Joost van Aken

Jordan Rhodes

Joey Pelupessy

Moses Odubajo

Cameron Dawson

Joe Wildsmith

Paul Jones

I’d swap Luongo and Harris on your list. Would also say that of your not good enough for the championship list, a number of them could be put under lower end championship given you could put them in the side and still expect to finish 15th-20th. Rhodes, Odubajo and Wildsmith I’d put there. Pelupessy, Van Aken and Dawson are the 3 I’d say were  below the standard of the league.

Either way, it shows how much needs to be done to get to the play offs. 3-4 years ago we’d have had maybe 14-18 players in the top category

Guest LondonOwl313
10 hours ago, Highbury Owl said:

Bannan is average.

Bannan isn’t average.. he’s one of our only players who most other teams in the league would want.

Most pundits and opposing managers mention his name whenever we play as the key player and someone who is high quality. Even Guardiola mentioned him. That wouldn’t happen if he was average 

Problem is top 3 before Xmas, bottom 3 since with similar squad, yes we were in a false position before Xmas and confidence or lack of it is a major problem but seriously I'd question keeping any players including back room staff, I know that wont/can't happen but it needs a clean sweep thro the club as something seems very wrong. Bad transfers, lack of leaders on the pitch, obviously not too harmonious in the dressing room, injuries and age of players means time for major change if we are to move forward whatever league we're in.

Is Monk the right person, who knows, but who would actually want to come here?? I'd question it and it's MY club!!! So Monk may well be our best option if he stays then we must get behind him!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Given the verdicts so far, it's hard to believe how many think sacking Monk will sort our problems.

Because it shows the scale of the job. Not many trust monk to do it yet alone do it well. Even his supporters best reason is no change for changes sake and give him time. I can’t see any evidence on his time with us or his other clubs to suggest he has what it takes to rebuild. 

Good OP

My opinion:-

Barry Bannan

Dominic Iorfa 

Keiren Westwood

Adam Reach (having a poor year)
Tom Lees (having a poor year)

Kieran Lee 

Kadeem Harris

Julian Borner

Liam Palmer

Atdhe Nuhiu

Massimo Luongo

Jordan Rhodes

Joey Pelupessy

Joost van Aken

Moses Odubajo

Cameron Dawson

Joe Wildsmith

Paul Jones (No idea - does he exist?)

Really need a reliable keeper if Monk staying, or a new manager that is strong enough to manage Westwood. 

11 minutes ago, Plonk said:

Because it shows the scale of the job. Not many trust monk to do it yet alone do it well. Even his supporters best reason is no change for changes sake and give him time. I can’t see any evidence on his time with us or his other clubs to suggest he has what it takes to rebuild. 

He's never been tasked with a rebuilding job as big as this, but he clearly has an eye for a decent player, having signed the likes of Sigurdsson, Naughton, Fernández, Cork, Fabianski, Ayew, Roofe, Bridcutt, Ayling, Hernández, Bartley, Jansson, Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Randolph, Fletcher etc... at his previous clubs.

I can understand the desire for someone more experienced with a track record of rebuilding squads in a similar state to ours, though.

Any ideas who might fit the bill?

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Good OP

My opinion:-

Barry Bannan

Dominic Iorfa 

Keiren Westwood

Adam Reach (having a poor year)
Tom Lees (having a poor year)

Kieran Lee 

Kadeem Harris

Julian Borner

Liam Palmer

Atdhe Nuhiu

Massimo Luongo

Jordan Rhodes

Joey Pelupessy

Joost van Aken

Moses Odubajo

Cameron Dawson

Joe Wildsmith

Paul Jones (No idea - does he exist?)

Really need a reliable keeper if Monk staying, or a new manager that is strong enough to manage Westwood. 

No top 6 side would want Westwood . What part of he’s finished don’t fans get ? Did you actually watch the games he played this season? He was awful . Past it . Adam reach and Tom lees wouldn’t get anywhere near a top 6 side . Reach especially is utter rubbish . 

17 minutes ago, james o connor said:

No top 6 side would want Westwood . What part of he’s finished don’t fans get ? Did you actually watch the games he played this season? He was awful . Past it . Adam reach and Tom lees wouldn’t get anywhere near a top 6 side . Reach especially is utter rubbish . 

Reach has been part of three top six teams. He’s having a bad season, but more than capable of getting back to his best. 

Lees still our best CB.