Squad appraisal

2 minutes ago, camffiti said:

I remember when we had 10 sh*t players and Brunt ... Brunt was the scapegoat when we lost

Once Bannan has joined the bombsquad, he won't be heading to League1 with us 

Give over. Bannan isn’t in the same league as brunt, Antonio, Sibon

that awful pass in Fulham’s box just then proves my point 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Given the verdicts so far, it's hard to believe how many think sacking Monk will sort our problems.

Well the squad will need filling out extensively. So one assumes there will  be quite a few incomings even if they will all be frees/ cheapies/ loans.

Personally I dont want Monk making those signings given his past record in the transfer market.

I don't think sacking him will sort all our problems. But it may mean we do better  business with someone else in charge.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, camffiti said:

I remember when we had 10 sh*t players and Brunt ... Brunt was the scapegoat when we lost

Once Bannan has joined the bombsquad, he won't be heading to League1 with us 

Yes its wierd how the best players often attract the most criticism.

I guess it's because people have high expectations of them and judge them more harshly as a consequence.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Fit each player into the following categories. Contracted players for next season only, not including youngsters.

In my opinion, we have seven players who I'd suggest are competent at this level.

- A top 6 Championship player

Barry Bannan

Dominic Iorfa (potentially)

Keiren Westwood

- An average Championship player

Kieran Lee (when fit)

Kadeem Harris

Julian Borner

Adam Reach (borderline)

- A lower end Championship player

Liam Palmer

Tom Lees

Atdhe Nuhiu

Massimo Luongo

- Not good enough for the Championship

Joost van Aken

Jordan Rhodes

Joey Pelupessy

Moses Odubajo

Cameron Dawson

Joe Wildsmith

Paul Jones

Surely Paul Jones hasn't got a contract for next season and you've missed Penney out. I'd say Lees is mid-table with the right players around him and Moses and Wildsmith are good enough for Championship squads but not regulars. Luongo is a mid-table player.

21 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Well the squad will need filling out extensively. So one assumes there will  be quite a few incomings even if they will all be frees/ cheapies/ loans.

Personally I dont want Monk making those signings given his past record in the transfer market.

I don't think sacking him will sort all our problems. But it may mean we do better  business with someone else in charge.

Is Monk's past record really that bad?

He's signed some decent players for the clubs he's managed, in the likes of Sigurdsson, Naughton, Fernández, Cork, Fabianski, Ayew, Roofe, Bridcutt, Ayling, Hernández, Bartley, Jansson, Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Fletcher etc...

I think the only time many of his signings have really been called into question was at Middlesbrough, isn't it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Is Monk's past record really that bad?

He's signed some decent players for the clubs he's managed, in the likes of Sigurdsson, Naughton, Fernández, Cork, Fabianski, Ayew, Roofe, Bridcutt, Ayling, Hernández, Bartley, Jansson, Assombalonga, Braithwaite, Fletcher etc...

I think the only time many of his signings have really been called into question was at Middlesbrough, isn't it?

Assombalonga and Braithwaite were terrible signings but fair point there are some decent players amongst those.

Perhaps not quite as bad as I thought then.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

Assombalonga and Braithwaite were terrible signings but fair point there are some decent players amongst those.

Perhaps not quite as bad as I thought then.

Assombalonga has lost something since his horror injury, but he's still a decent striker at this level. Scoring at least 15 goals in each of his first two seasons at Boro has to be considered a decent return, doesn't it? I suppose the issue is the £15m fee, but it's up to the chairman to sort that side of it.

Braithwaite must have something about him to have attracted the interest of Barcelona.

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Given the verdicts so far, it's hard to believe how many think sacking Monk will sort our problems.

It won’t but it’s a start. If this had been done in lockdown (I wanted it done before) then even Bullen would have been able to get more out of these than Monk. At least that would have kept us up with a points deduction. Now it’s looking like if we get the expected -12 we’re in league one next year. 

4 hours ago, clud17 said:

They are all bang average. Those players that may have been top 6 are no longer top 6 players. 

Yes, that’s the point - Bannan and Lee come into that category IMHO, but both of them are now past their peak.

Iorfa is probably our only top 6 player now - and I can’t see us hanging on to him if we go into League One