Wildsmith

3 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

As all on here may know, I always refer to the team, not individuals, yes, Wildsmith made 3 very poor mistakes and to be honest I prefer Dawson in goal, but having said that, there are 10 other players between Goal and attack and some where along the line they should have been stopped.

YES

Errrr..... OBVIOUSLY

But this thread is about the goalkeeper

So.....

When the defence DOESN"T do their job and the rest of the team let strikers have shots then how do our goalkeepers do?

THAT is the point of this thread

There are other threads for the rest of the team, the defenders etc

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

YES

Errrr..... OBVIOUSLY

So.....

When the defence DOESN"T do their job and the rest of the team let strikers have shots then how do our goalkeepers do?

OK.

Wildsmith is nowhere near as good as Dawson, I wanted him hung, drawn and quartered, shot at Dawn etc after the 1st goal but what's the point of changing the Goal keeper for the last game.

All 3 of our 1st team goal keepers have let in howlers this season and cost us goals/points.

Edited by adelphi1867

1 minute ago, adelphi1867 said:

OK.

Wildsmith is nowhere near as good as Dawson, I wanted him hung, drawn and quartered, shot at Dawn etc after the 1st goal but what's the point of changing the Goal keeper for the last game.

Nobody is saying anyone should be hung, drawn, quartered or bashing anyone

We're merely pointing out the horrendous game Wildsmith had yesterday, the lack of alternatives, and the goalkeeping situation at Sheffield Wednesday

Stop trying to make it more dramatic by using emotive words to try and turn this isn't something it really isn't

As for changing the goalkeeper for the last game, the point would be to change the goalkeeper for the last game to try and win it by playing the best goalkeeper available (Westwood ISN'T available  - he's 'injured' again).

This game could decide if we are relegated or not

So your 'but what's the point in changing the goalkeeper for the last game?' question looks very very naive

Owlstalk Shop

Guest mrbluesky
23 minutes ago, 83owl said:

WildSmith didn’t have the best game yesterday but he’s getting hammered for the second goal? Look at Tom Lees in the first picture. He can see mitrovic has the run on borner so he needs to decide whether to step up and attack the ball or cover the runner. Instead he just ambles back in the centre of the goal at a pace which makes Borner look like Usain Bolt. 

Shocking from Borner to be so far behind his man and shocking from Lees, the situation should have been dealt with before even getting to wildsmith.

1F364FFD-CDE7-457C-805C-C4633BFA0B29.png

E3362B89-DD19-4CFE-B339-F6ADBEDB167F.png

Exactly 

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

Nobody is saying anyone should be hung, drawn, quartered or bashing anyone

We're merely pointing out the horrendous game Wildsmith had yesterday, the lack of alternatives, and the goalkeeping situation at Sheffield Wednesday

Stop trying to make it more dramatic by using emotive words to try and turn this isn't something it really isn't

As for changing the goalkeeper for the last game, the point would be to change the goalkeeper for the last game to try and win it by playing the best goalkeeper available (Westwood ISN'T available  - he's 'injured' again).

This game could decide if we are relegated or not

So your 'but what's the point in changing the goalkeeper for the last game?' question looks very very naive

That wasn't my intention, just saying how I felt at the time, I was angry as a retired football coach, and that is not being big headed, to witness such basic mistakes, but that is what happens in a live situation.

Who is the best Goal keeper between Dawson and Wildsmith?, it is Dawson in my humble opinion, but I cannot influence the team selection.

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

That wasn't my intention, just saying how I felt at the time, I was angry as a retired football coach, and that is not being big headed, to witness such basic mistakes, but that is what happens in a live situation.

Who is the best Goal keeper between Dawson and Wildsmith?, it is Dawson in my humble opinion, but I cannot influence the team selection.

I just can't choose between them in all honesty.

What I do feel however (and this isn't bashing anyone or either of them) is that maybe both aren't consistent enough to warrant being our first choice goalkeeper 

We're seeing too many mistakes and too many goals going in past them (and yes most of that is down to the defence but many aren't)

We need a new goalkeeper

And for that I blame Westwood and his constant 'injury'

Owlstalk Shop

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

I just can't choose between them in all honesty.

What I do feel however (and this isn't bashing anyone or either of them) is that maybe both aren't consistent enough to warrant being our first choice goalkeeper 

We're seeing too many mistakes and too many goals going in past them (and yes most of that is down to the defence but many aren't)

We need a new goalkeeper

And for that I blame Westwood and his constant 'injury'

True.

Maybe now that Monk has seen ALL goal keepers in action he feel's the same.

Guest mrbluesky
20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Obviously

But how does that change anything about Wildsmith's performance/positioning/angles?

Neil, I`m beginning to think football really isn`t for you , I`d say stick to filming Darnall on a Saturday  😂

Here, just for reference, skip to 3.30...

14 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

As all on here may know, I always refer to the team, not individuals, yes, Wildsmith made 3 very poor mistakes and to be honest I prefer Dawson in goal, but having said that, there are 10 other players between Goal and attack and some where along the line they should have been stopped.

Far too often this season there is no protection in front of the back 4 (now 3) and opposing teams treat our half like a playground.

From a keepers perspective they can look at this 2 ways:

1: Sh!t, I'm in for another busy day

2; I'm going to own this mess and not put with the crap in front of me and be more commanding, organise this lot.

This season I can only think of Fletcher, Fox and Iorfa who have performed consistently well enough to avoid criticism, which shows how poor we are, The squad is bereft of talent and desire. 

If neither of the home grown keepers has stepped up and made the position their own next season, at least one of them has to go. And that last comment applies to plenty more in this squad.

• Thanks 1

Just now, adelphi1867 said:

True.

Maybe now that Monk has seen ALL goal keepers in action he feel's the same.

Yeah I would imagine that's the case

We were doing so well yesterday against Fulham before their player rolled a 136 yarder along the grass into Wildsmith's near post

That must just shake the confidence of any team when your goalkeeper allows goals like that in

We've had it before at Sheffield Wednesday where we've been playing well only for the keepers to fluff something and it's always led to a confidence crisis in the match

I know people who have called for Westwood to be reinstated (not going to happen - he's finished at SWFC) by saying that he commands his defence, he's vocal, and that as a result of him being a quality goalkeeper his defence plays better as a result as they have more confidence about what's behind them.

Yesterday we saw a prime example of the opposite where we were competing with a really good side, we were on the front foot, we were taking it to them and enjoying the better posesssion and applying pressure, only for it to all come unstuck when Wildsmith flops over a 236247 mile grasscutter and lets it into his net.

Owlstalk Shop

Guest mrbluesky
18 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

YES

Errrr..... OBVIOUSLY

So.....

Nice curve ball, Neil 😂

1 minute ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Far too often this season there is no protection in front of the back 4 (now 3) and opposing teams treat our half like a playground.

From a keepers perspective they can look at this 2 ways:

1: Sh!t, I'm in for another busy day

2; I'm going to own this mess and not put with the crap in front of me and be more commanding, organise this lot.

This season I can only think of Fletcher, Fox and Iorfa who have performed consistently well enough to avoid criticism, which shows how poor we are, The squad is bereft of talent and desire. 

If neither of the home grown keepers has stepped up and made the position their own next season, at least one of them has to go. And that last comment applies to plenty more in this squad.

I agree with this

Owlstalk Shop

Westwood was a top quality keeper on pure ability but had something special in that he could Marshall a defence. The number of clean sheets he had shows this. Unfortunately Dawson and Wildsmith are well short of him in most aspects but are no doubt working hard to improve themselves. Unless there is an obvious improvement available we need to ensure they get top coaching to help them.

Guest Bulgaria
17 hours ago, bolton9owl said:

To be fair i think our goalkeeping coaches must shoulder some of the blame, what do they do with them day after day

Would love to be a goalkeeping coach.

"Morning lads, see those 3 white poles with netting attached?  Well, try and keep the ball from going in it"

See you tomorrow.

Guest mrbluesky
20 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

YES

Errrr..... OBVIOUSLY

So.....

Let`s ignore whats going on in and around the keeper, let`s ignore that the keeper might be thinking my defence is all over the shop, let`s ignore the mindset of said keeper after what hes seeing in front of him

Football really isn`t for some people.

But yes, this is solely about a keeper that has let in 5 goals 😂  

Neil, just for reference, skip to 3.30

Guest mrbluesky
45 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

Not sure whether his performance yesterday deserves a thread like this beating him.

Yes, he gets beat from distance and it wasn’t a good day but I don’t mind wildsmith. He’s pretty calm and he does a lot right, he just needs to work on a few areas. Get behind him. Typical Wednesday fans - berate our own players. 

Yep, pretty much said the same.

Guest mrbluesky
5 minutes ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

Tell the site host to introduce an agree icon, save us all time.

Problem is, it wouldn`t be used much 😄