Jump to content
Brammy

Old UEFA Competitions

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, alanharper said:

 

Which one got scrapped? 

you can only have one team per country in cup winners competition ..........in the eufa league the worlds your lobster with how many  you want in it.........the cup winners cup alway outranked the fairs/eufa cup ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, torryowl said:

you can only have one team per country in cup winners competition ..........in the eufa league the worlds your lobster with how many  you want in it.........the cup winners cup alway outranked the fairs/eufa cup ......

 

Which made it easier to win with usually only 5-6 good sides in it, and the quality of entrants was often lower as well because it's easier to win a domestic cup than it is to finish 2nd-4th in the league. It may have been higher ranked at one time according to UEFA, but the quality and popularity was never the same as the UEFA Cup hence it being scrapped when the expanded Champions League diluted the quality even further. 

 

I've randomly looked at the UEFA and Cup Winners Cup entrants for 1987-88, because that was when Coventry would have been in it as one of the smaller teams to have won the FA Cup in the modern era (well it's the modern era when you get to my age!). The CWC would have had Coventry City as England's entry, the UEFA Cup would have had Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal. Italy had Atalanta in the CWC, with AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus in the UEFA. Scotland had St Mirren in the CWC, and Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd in the UEFA (Scottish football was better back then!). The UEFA Cup also had Barcelona, the CWC had Merthyr Tydfil... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The level of achievement in winning the UEFA Cup has long since been recognised as greater than winning the CWC and the Champions Cup

 

Led directly to the advent of the Champions League

 

Along with the "saleability" value of it...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, alanharper said:

 

Which made it easier to win with usually only 5-6 good sides in it, and the quality of entrants was often lower as well because it's easier to win a domestic cup than it is to finish 2nd-4th in the league. It may have been higher ranked at one time according to UEFA, but the quality and popularity was never the same as the UEFA Cup hence it being scrapped when the expanded Champions League diluted the quality even further. 

 

I've randomly looked at the UEFA and Cup Winners Cup entrants for 1987-88, because that was when Coventry would have been in it as one of the smaller teams to have won the FA Cup in the modern era (well it's the modern era when you get to my age!). The CWC would have had Coventry City as England's entry, the UEFA Cup would have had Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal. Italy had Atalanta in the CWC, with AC Milan, Inter Milan and Juventus in the UEFA. Scotland had St Mirren in the CWC, and Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd in the UEFA (Scottish football was better back then!). The UEFA Cup also had Barcelona, the CWC had Merthyr Tydfil... 

 

like you say higher ranked which is what i said ......its as simple as that .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scram said:

The level of achievement in winning the UEFA Cup has long since been recognised as greater than winning the CWC and the Champions Cup

 

Led directly to the advent of the Champions League

 

Along with the "saleability" value of it...

not you as well .....1 the european cup .....2 the cup winners cup .....3 the fairs /eufa cup ........its common knowledge that was the ranking ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not talking about any baloney ranking - i'm talking about the actuality of having to win a tournament!

 

And my point stands that the recognition of winning the UEFA Cup led to the inception of the Champions League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, torryowl said:

you can only have one team per country in cup winners competition ..........in the eufa league the worlds your lobster with how many  you want in it.........the cup winners cup alway outranked the fairs/eufa cup ......


In 94/95 Arsenal and Chelsea were both in the Cup-winners Cup as Arsenal were the current holders.

 

I agree with the second point though. When I was younger I was always told that the CWC was of higher prestige than the UEFA Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 25/07/2020 at 23:48, Brammy said:

Champions League really is a misnomer.

 

Right load of rounduns when you can finish fourth and 30+ points behind the actual champions and still qualify!


100% agree! Look at last years final at the time Liverpool hadn’t won the league in 30 years and when was Spurs last title? 1960s? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:


100% agree! Look at last years final at the time Liverpool hadn’t won the league in 30 years and when was Spurs last title? 1960s? 

 

Liverpool qualified for the "Champions League" in 2004 by finishing 4th, 30 points behind the league champions Arsenal. The following year they became "Champions of Europe" a few weeks after they'd finished 5th in the PL, 37 points behind Chelsea. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, alanharper said:

 

Liverpool qualified for the "Champions League" in 2004 by finishing 4th, 30 points behind the league champions Arsenal. The following year they became "Champions of Europe" a few weeks after they'd finished 5th in the PL, 37 points behind Chelsea. 

 

 


Talking to a mate who’s an Arsenal fan and he was saying he would have preferred top 4 over the cup. Seems madness to me. From a “business sense” it makes sense for the club but as a fan surely you want to win things rather than finish 4th in the league.

 

Should be only champions of all European leagues in a straight knockout which is unseeded. 
 

while we are at it the Euros should be reduced again as that was a joke having so many teams and third placed group finishers getting through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the introduction of the UEFA Conference League next year will this officially be the end of smaller nations and a quasi-super league?

 

IIRC the Conference League will be for UEFA countries that are lower than 15th on the coefficient list. My question being, can countries who are below 15th on the list move up the next year while others drop down? And are the coefficients only factoring club success or failure, or does it go by international coefficient? Poland has a high coefficient for international level but their club level is complete crap, so what is it?

 

I wish they'd bring back the CWC and just reduce the amount of clubs already in the EL. I think this time around clubs would take the CWC very seriously as they'd have a higher percentage chance of winning a European trophy over a dogfight in the EL. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Much prefer the Europa league to the " champions" league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...