Old UEFA Competitions

1 minute ago, Brammy said:

Hope someone can help me here!

Im trying find out the qualification criteria for the old UEFA competitions. Namely:

1) European Cup

2) UEFA Cup

3) European Cup Winners Cup

Cheers!!

Champions

Next few clubs in the league

Domestic cup winners

11 hours ago, alanharper said:

Champions

Next few clubs in the league

Domestic cup winners

9 hours ago, elyowl1 said:

Don't forget the short lived inter toto Cup route into the Uefa Cup 

8 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

When Heysel was lifted it was gradual: in 91 we didn’t get league cup place...

Thanks all. 👍

23 hours ago, helmut_rooster said:

Thanks Liverpool.

But for them we'd have qualified for Europe on at least 3 further occasions, in 1986 (finished 5th), 1991 (LC winners) and 1993 (Arsenal would have gone into the UEFA Cup having earlier won the LC, so we'd have taken their place in the slightly less prestigious Cup Winners Cup - which they actually won).

Genuinely think we'd have done particularly well in 86, English clubs dominated Europe until the ban mainly because of the faster tempo. I'm not claiming we'd have won it or anything but who knows - the continentals wouldn't know what hit them if they'd faced Wilko's mid 80s team. 

• Like 3

On 17/07/2020 at 17:57, Ever the pessimist said:

When Heysel was lifted it was gradual: in 91 we didn’t get league cup place...

Nor did we get a EUFA cup lace in 85/86 for finishing 5th (which had qualified in previous years up to the Heysel ban) so Liverpool cost us not once but twice.

Oops missed Harpers post above!

Edited by Utah Owl

On 19/07/2020 at 12:36, the third man said:

Fairs cup was the original name of the UEFA cup

Correct though I don't think you had to qualify for it when it first started, clubs were invited. 

They was another European competition called Anglo-Italian Cup that was just for English and Italian clubs, some games got a bit nasty, I remember pigs playing in this and Italian team they were playing had a few players sent off. 

On 19/07/2020 at 14:10, alanharper said:

But for them we'd have qualified for Europe on at least 3 further occasions, in 1986 (finished 5th), 1991 (LC winners) and 1993 (Arsenal would have gone into the UEFA Cup having earlier won the LC, so we'd have taken their place in the slightly less prestigious Cup Winners Cup - which they actually won).

what makes you say the uefa cup was more prestigious than cup winners cup ?......i would have thought it was the other way round ..

32 minutes ago, torryowl said:

what makes you say the uefa cup was more prestigious than cup winners cup ?......i would have thought it was the other way round ..

Well, the UEFA Cup was mostly league-position-based, so you really had to be a good team to qualify. You could finish anywhere and get into the Cup Winners Cup, as long as you won your domestic cup.

Just now, Sova said:

Well, the UEFA Cup was mostly league-position-based, so you really had to be a good team to qualify. You could finish anywhere and get into the Cup Winners Cup, as long as you won your domestic cup.

the super cup was between the euro cup winners a and cup winners winners so that took precident over the eufa  ......and if you qualified thru a league position for the uefa and won the fa cup as well you went in to the cup winners cup . .....

The UEFA Cup was always seen as harder to win the the Champions Cup

This led to the inception of the Champions League

The Cup Winners Cup generally was nowhere near the standard of the UEFA

Probably why it was dropped and for the revamped Europa League

The UEFA Cup was always seen as harder to win because the amount of good teams in it

The Champions Cup only had the winner of each league - where the UEFA Cup had the next best 3-4 teams in the top leagues in the UEFA Cup

The old EUFA Cup was far and away a better competition than the European Cup.

Remember when Leeds won the last ever Division 1 title in 1992, the following season they were our sole representatives in the European Cup but were so bobbar that they only just avoided relegation. I don't think they won an away game all season, if memory serves me correct the closest they came was at Hillsborough and we snatched an injury time draw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HullOwlPhil said:

The old EUFA Cup was far and away a better competition than the European Cup.

Remember when Leeds won the last ever Division 1 title in 1992, the following season they were our sole representatives in the European Cup but were so bobbar that they only just avoided relegation. I don't think they won an away game all season, if memory serves me correct the closest they came was at Hillsborough and we snatched an injury time draw.

David Hirst scored in injury time, Leeds failed to fill upper tier of West Stand that night too, though ask a Leeds fan about it and they'll tell you they brought 10,000. 😂