On this day...

8 hours ago, JimmyMaC said:

Ive always found it quite embarassing how Wednesday fans wet their knickers over Waddle,we signed him in his winter years,when all the leaves had fallen off and way past his best and we managed to coax the last drop of quality hed got in the tank for about 18 months,his best,most productive years were always at the clubs hed played for way before he came to Wednesday and yet some would have you believe he was a wednesday legend..........not by some distance was Waddle a Wednesday legend,he had an indian summer,but it was brief in comparison to others

He was lauded by the press, calls for him to play for England, opposition fans admired him, one of the very  few Wednesday players who excited you when he got the ball. Most Wednesday fans would include him in their top five Wednesday players. Young fans admired him as he was a good influence on and off the pitch. 

If he's not a Wednesday legend (How do you qualify to be a legend?) then so be it, but for me he was wonderful to watch with more skill, ability and grace than many Wednesday Legends put together. 

I would probably sacrifice another Wednesday Legend career to include Waddle in that group.  So if I had to choose Waddles brief time with us over someone who played over three hundred times for us I'd choose Waddle nearly every time thats how much I enjoyed watching him.  

• Like 1