Salary Cap £18 million

16 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Simple. Every player who signs for a Premier league club has a clause inserted in their contract saying upon relegation their wage will drop to £13.800 in line with the EFL wage cap. This would mean failure payments could be scrapped immediately. 

For Christ Sake!

Stop having common sense good ideas, especially on here. You're making the EFL look a right set of stupid cu.........s!

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

60-61 season ........the salaries where capped and the jimmy hill led  a players revolt and got it scrapped ....long time ago but if they try to bring capping  i could well see the union kicking up .

I thought you may have been referring to this. It was to lift a £20 cap on weekly wages, which at the time would've been ‘merely’ a very good working class wage. The public at the time were even somewhat supportive of Hill's efforts. 

Players in 2020 striking against a cap being imposed on wages at about £14k would be met with the fiercest public anger though, and that ultimately matters a lot.

1 minute ago, cowl said:

I thought you may have been referring to this. It was to lift a £20 cap on weekly wages, which at the time would've been ‘merely’ a very good working class wage. The public at the time were even somewhat supportive of Hill's efforts. 

Players in 2020 striking against a cap being imposed on wages at about £14k would be met with the fiercest public anger though, and that ultimately matters a lot.

It might well do - if you were in their position though and could earn fantastic, life changing money for yourself and family, what would you do? 

Just now, CalmJimmers said:

It might well do - if you were in their position though and could earn fantastic, life changing money for yourself and family, what would you do? 

What does that matter if the strike was to fail?

1 minute ago, cowl said:

What does that matter if the strike was to fail?

I'd personally see what was available to me. If a team in France or Germany or China or Russia or the US or Sweden or Holland offered me more money then I'd consider it, especially if it was significantly more. 

Therefore, player exodus, rubbish players then get the max wage because teams are scrapping for them, so the quality significantly deteriorates. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CalmJimmers said:

I'd personally see what was available to me. If a team in France or Germany or China or Russia or the US or Sweden or Holland offered me more money then I'd consider it, especially if it was significantly more. 

Therefore, player exodus, rubbish players then get the max wage because teams are scrapping for them, so the quality significantly deteriorates. 

How many foreign clubs have a wage budget that exceeds £18m.  I'd wager it'll not be many.  In fact apart from the CL regulars, I doubt they'll be any.  What's Ajax's budget for example?  

27 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Depends if the players union vote against the salary cap, expect a lot would then go to somewhere else to earn better money if so. Quality of the competition would go down, whilst the best of a bad bunch would be getting paid far more than they would ever have done. 

Maximum spend allows you to negotiate contracts, but would still expect to see some players leave. Just not on the scale if a union voted a salary cap down. 

I think a reduction in the quality of the footballers playing in the league is something that just has to be accepted though as a very possible outcome.

Maybe a 'maximum spend' route would bestow certain advantages over a system which caps salary by maintaining a degree of uncertainty when it comes to negotiating contracts - but it's not obvious who the advantage would be to - player or club? Either way, it's not going to offset the fact that clubs would end up getting maybe a couple of marquee-style signings, and the rest presumably at a lower standard; it's surely unavoidable however you impose limits on wages.

49 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Totally agree with having a salary cap as long as its a straight across the board same for every team. 

Maybe even give the promoted teams a slice of the parachute payments?? (though I doubt that will happen) to make it a completely level playing field for everyone. 

Why should it be a level playing field...that’s small club mentality, why should let’s say Barnsley be able to spend their entire commercial revenue on wages whilst, let’s say Leeds (or Villa) can only spend a 3rd of their income on wages. There’s needs to be a cap but it can’t be across the board unless it’s 80% or so off the biggest clubs revenue (or based on revenue)

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

If our leagues are less attractive then so be it.

Many foreign leagues were superior to ours back in the 80s and 90s - what of it? I'm not sure I enjoy watching football more now on account of the footballers on show being better now than they were back then.

And how good a foreign league is only becomes overtly relevant for club sides when they're in a European competition - and that's only very, very rarely an opportunity that a Championship club would have.

• Like 1

Just now, cowl said:

sounds a lot and is lot but some of them wouldnt be getting 14k ....if its 18 million per club as stated  you only need the star striker to be getting 30k and mid field playmaker 25k then thats going to impact on what the rest get .......you could refuse to pay that wage  for the star players but then theyd probably be a good chance they wouldnt sign for you ............

5 minutes ago, torryowl said:

sounds a lot and is lot but some of them wouldnt be getting 14k ....if its 18 million per club as stated  you only need the star striker to be getting 30k and mid field playmaker 25k then thats going to impact on what the rest get .......you could refuse to pay that wage  for the star players but then theyd probably be a good chance they wouldnt sign for you ............

But even now clubs often lose out on a player because they can't afford to pay them what another club would.

16 hours ago, Manwë said:

Only £14k a week?

They will have to find a way around this injustice, imagine only earning in a week what a nurse earns in six months.  

Would cap it lower personally, if some lower league players think La Liga are going to come begging they can think again.

Clubs are going under, supporters are not allowed to enter the premises, staff are losing their jobs.  Players cannot be immune from society.

100000000% this.

Let the best players get the mega wonga in the prem.

It's about time mediocre players stop earning stupid wages. If they don't like it...good luck finding another country willing to pay it.

I'd love the lower leagues (championship) to cap wages at 5k a week. 

I'm sure u can still get very decent players on that. You wouldn't even notice a difference in the playing standard. It's still way more than most leagues across the world pay their players.

Edited by trev
  • Like 1

With real top players, a salary cap would only work in a closed league. That's one reason why it works in the NHL and adds a tactic element to the game what comes to transfers.

Having one in the lower levels than PL would probably work as well. It's clear that the majority of the players would not get the same amount of money anywhere else than in English football so they would just have to accept it. It would definitely make things healthier. Let PL eat itself and concentrate on the levels where there still is some hope left.

2 hours ago, Shez said:

Why should it be a level playing field...that’s small club mentality, why should let’s say Barnsley be able to spend their entire commercial revenue on wages whilst, let’s say Leeds (or Villa) can only spend a 3rd of their income on wages. There’s needs to be a cap but it can’t be across the board unless it’s 80% or so off the biggest clubs revenue (or based on revenue)

They won't scrap the parachute payments, so my comment was more in the way FFP works now. 

Relagated teams getting and extra £25 million on top of their FFP in there first season dropping down after years which makes the FFP unfair. 

19 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Simple. Every player who signs for a Premier league club has a clause inserted in their contract saying upon relegation their wage will drop to £13.800 in line with the EFL wage cap. This would mean failure payments could be scrapped immediately. 

I like this. It would completely incentivise  staying up and cut out the rewarding of failure. It could also be marketed to the players as just the way it is: if you don't like it, don't get relegated. Get it sorted!!

• Like 1