Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

 

 

 

Stuck record...

I’m not wrong tho 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dutch McLovin said:

I’m not wrong tho 



By just repetitively posting the same thing over and over and over and over and over all day long I would say you ARE mate

 

You're starting to sound like an obsessive crazy

 

lol

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen anything to suggest he's the man for a major rebuild, but then I'm not sure whose out there who can.

 

Tbf, this is about as big and difficult job as you can imagine right now. Bit like trying to turn the Titanic around and not having a steering wheel...and the captain of the ship is oblivious to the iceberg.

 

If his plan going forward is to reduce the age of the squad and sign hungry, younger players then I'm all for that. I just wish we weren't so f00king boring to watch. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zzmdu said:

 

Shhhhsh, we not allowed to mention that he's been sacked/left 4 clubs in 5 years.

 

And on a terrible relegation form 6 month run with us.

So what you suggesting? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no confidence in Monk to do the job that’s required here. Some will agree with me, some won’t.

 

My opinion has been formed not just on his time here but his time in previous jobs. He’s shown nothing thus far to suggest he’s anywhere near capable of doing the job that needs doing here?

 

I’ve just read the article in another thread about his acrimonious departure from Birmingham. There are one or two things on the football side of the interview that rings true of his time here so far. Attritional football and a ‘I’m always right attitude’?

 

In his press conference today he’s tried not for the first time tried to come across as someone who is always thinking of new things to push the club and team forward. He always embraces ideas from various avenues? Despite this wherever he’s been and despite hailing Brendan Rodgers has one of his biggest influences, his style of football has always been eye bleeding sh!t?

 

Granted he talks a good game and that’s probably what keeps getting him jobs? That and not being relegated yet but that could change very soon. Any relegation here this season wouldn’t be totally down to him but the form and results since Christmas he has to take some responsibility for?

 

Bottom line whether he’s here for the next 6 months or the next 6 years, I’m not going to come on here and give it the ‘I Told You So’ if I’m right about him and I will hold my hand up if I’m wrong. If he does manage to hold his own here, I see a similar time to Brian Laws’ spell here where it’s relegation battles interspersed with the odd comfortable spell in mid table? The difference between Laws and Monk though is Laws had a likeability about him and Monk unfortunately doesn’t and I see this lack of personality bring a real problem as managers like this invariably fall flat on their face here?

 

Your managers with the big strong personalities are the ones that invariably succeed here like Charlton and Atkinson and to a lesser extent Carvalhal?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jim said:

I have no confidence in Monk to do the job that’s required here. Some will agree with me, some won’t.

 

My opinion has been formed not just on his time here but his time in previous jobs. He’s shown nothing thus far to suggest he’s anywhere near capable of doing the job that needs doing here?

 

I’ve just read the article in another thread about his acrimonious departure from Birmingham. There are one or two things on the football side of the interview that rings true of his time here so far. Attritional football and a ‘I’m always right attitude’?

 

In his press conference today he’s tried not for the first time tried to come across as someone who is always thinking of new things to push the club and team forward. He always embraces ideas from various avenues? Despite this wherever he’s been and despite hailing Brendan Rodgers has one of his biggest influences, his style of football has always been eye bleeding sh!t?

 

Granted he talks a good game and that’s probably what keeps getting him jobs? That and not being relegated yet but that could change very soon. Any relegation here this season wouldn’t be totally down to him but the form and results since Christmas he has to take some responsibility for?

 

Bottom line whether he’s here for the next 6 months or the next 6 years, I’m not going to come on here and give it the ‘I Told You So’ if I’m right about him and I will hold my hand up if I’m wrong. If he does manage to hold his own here, I see a similar time to Brian Laws’ spell here where it’s relegation battles interspersed with the odd comfortable spell in mid table? The difference between Laws and Monk though is Laws had a likeability about him and Monk unfortunately doesn’t and I see this lack of personality bring a real problem as managers like this invariably fall flat on their face here?

 

Your managers with the big strong personalities are the ones that invariably succeed here like Charlton and Atkinson and to a lesser extent Carvalhal?

I don’t think he even talks a good game

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have to ask yourself this. Forget what has happened, what is the best managerial option for the club for next year.

 

If you think that Monk is the best option next year purely based on performance so far you are clearly deranged but that isn't all the story I agree. 

 

If you believe that his performance has been so hampered by the players he has had and the circumstances then that's a fair shout. You have to then believe that he can turn this thing around by getting better players, playing better home football and dealing with the circumstances. 

 

Is Monk the man to put together a decent squad - seen no evidence he can do this so I believe no.

Is Monk the man to change the home performance to attacking football that keep fans happy - seen no evidence of his tactical approach that he will do this successfully, I believe no.

Can Monk deal with the owner and all of the other garbage that is coming our way constantly - to be fair he seems to be a willing patsy and has dealt with the latter half of the season with a fair bit of dignity. So yes.

 

I just dont have faith in the bloke and I dont see how anyone can, except he clearly is a survivor and good luck to him if he stays. The main reason people make seems to be that we shouldn't change a bad manager as we might get another bad manager? Lets roll the dice for christ sake. 2 home goals since December 29th!!!!!

 

There are dozens of managers out of work that are better than Gary Monk. Lets start with Allardyce and work our way down to Ainsworth then stop.

One of em's got to be daft enough to take it.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nero said:

You have to ask yourself this. Forget what has happened, what is the best managerial option for the club for next year.

 

If you think that Monk is the best option next year purely based on performance so far you are clearly deranged but that isn't all the story I agree. 

 

If you believe that his performance has been so hampered by the players he has had and the circumstances then that's a fair shout. You have to then believe that he can turn this thing around by getting better players, playing better home football and dealing with the circumstances. 

 

Is Monk the man to put together a decent squad - seen no evidence he can do this so I believe no.

Is Monk the man to change the home performance to attacking football that keep fans happy - seen no evidence of his tactical approach that he will do this successfully, I believe no.

Can Monk deal with the owner and all of the other garbage that is coming our way constantly - to be fair he seems to be a willing patsy and has dealt with the latter half of the season with a fair bit of dignity. So yes.

 

I just dont have faith in the bloke and I dont see how anyone can, except he clearly is a survivor and good luck to him if he stays. The main reason people make seems to be that we shouldn't change a bad manager as we might get another bad manager? Lets roll the dice for christ sake. 2 home goals since December 29th!!!!!

 

There are dozens of managers out of work that are better than Gary Monk. Lets start with Allardyce and work our way down to Ainsworth then stop.

One of em's got to be daft enough to take it.

 

 

 

Not sure that Allardyce would improve the football

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

9 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

You're a good honest poster Jim and I 100% believe you when you say this despite me having an almost completely opposing view to you regarding Monk.

 

Thanks mate. I really appreciate your kind words. You’re one of the few posters on here who appreciate that we’re not going to agree on everything and don’t have to go to the ends of the earth to prove they’re right all the time? 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who are the players with the wrong attitude that need replacing? Monk left out Hutchinson and Westwood, then sidelined Forestieri. That didn’t work, things completely fell apart and we tumbled down the league so presumably they were not the main culprits, as our form got worse without them. 
There has been a slight improvement since Fox and Fletcher left, were they the ones with the bad attitude? I suspect not, in fact I think it’s all been a bit of a red herring, bandied about to try and deflect criticism from the inadequate tactics employed by the manager himself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have little faith in Monk, and I have to say I am concerned that if trusted with our rebuild we will end up with a disjointed team with seemingly no identity, constant choping and changing until he inevitably gets the chop. Hope I'm wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand why we aren't looking 3 or 4 managers down the line?

If we are being serious and we sack Monk (or don't renew his contract), then the new guy is probably going to fail when he cant bring his own staff in and has to work with the same old failed coach's. Not to mention the same old players that we cant get rid of or sell, hence can only bring limited cheap new ones in. So (this is where my plan kicks in) we sack new manager 1 and look for new manager 2 (probably not a household name as most managers know that the job by now is a poisoned chalice). New manager 2 arrives (now, some need to really read and possibly re-read the next underlined bit as its difficult to grasp) 'and struggles with the same problems that the previous managers have had'. Do not despair though as 'the plan' is already in motion looking for new manager 3 - in fact the process has now been quickened because we now have experience with 'the plan'. We have combined looking for new manager 3, with also looking for new manager 4. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

I think the break helped with a re-grouping. The players look like they're really up for it now and IMO we've not had the points reward that we've deserved. It's a personal view but I believe that there was dressing room disharmony. I understand that Hutch, Fletcher and Fox were indeed well liked. Two or three others less so. It only takes one or two to create division and they have to be dealt with.

I welcome the purge that's ongoing which will also have the collateral benefit of substantially easing our wage bill.

I think you will always get cliques in almost every dressing room, but it’s about managing those players. 
Barcelona for example, have always suffered that dressing room division and disharmony, but for the most part it’s been managed well, and success followed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nero said:

Is Monk the man to put together a decent squad - seen no evidence he can do this so I believe no.

 

I can't remember which of the dozens of Monk threads it was in, but there was a list of impressive signings he made for Swansea and Leeds. Granted, he's often cited for squandering large amounts at Middlesbrough but that's the swings and roundabouts of football I suppose. Can hardly judge him on what he's done here; he still hasn't made a single permanent transfer but his loans have been reasonably useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nero said:

 

I just dont have faith in the bloke and I dont see how anyone can, except he clearly is a survivor and good luck to him if he stays. The main reason people make seems to be that we shouldn't change a bad manager as we might get another bad manager? Lets roll the dice for christ sake. 2 home goals since December 29th!!!!!

 

There are dozens of managers out of work that are better than Gary Monk. Lets start with Allardyce and work our way down to Ainsworth then stop.

One of em's got to be daft enough to take it.

 

 

 

 

That's what I love about these 'New Manager' threads - the expectations are so unrealistic at times it's funny.

 

Allardyce isn't coming. Forget it. He's retired, and it would take a for more attractive offer than us to bring him out of retirement. The last time I checked, Ainsworth was employed. By a club who have just been promoted and who are on something of a roll.

 

It's so easy to say there are plenty of out of work managers who are better than Monk, but realistically are they going to come and manage a shambles like us? The better ones know they can wait for the right opportunity, and probably realise that coming to Hillsborough has plenty of risk and little reward. The others are probably out of work for a good reason. Honestly, I don't see any obvious candidates.

 

The risk of getting another bad manager is an entirely valid reason for holding onto Monk. At least he's a known quantity. Why take the risk of employing someone who is going to face exactly the same difficulties but may actually be worse at handling them? What would we do then?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely baffled by threads that say so and so wouldn't want this job. The three mentioned in the opening post would bite your hands off for the chance. Shame they're all shìt however.....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me the whole club is in a mess we need someone who can come in and rebuild from the ground up a bit like the job Megson did for us when he came in, he made the team difficult to beat and solid from front to back on not a lot of cash. 

 

He brought in Semedo, Prutton, Rob Jones, Ogrady, Lines, Lowe, Llera all free on very little fees, he got the likes of Madine scoring goals and made us difficult to beat. His last signing as manager was to sign some kid called Antonio on loan from Reading.

 

For me the man we need to come in rebuild and restructure the club is currently working wonders as Millwall manager and could well be fighting for a promotion to the premier league if he can make it into the top 6. If he and Millwall don't win promotion then Gary Rowett is the man.

 

When you compare what Monk has at his disposal with his squad, to that of what Rowett has we definitely got the wrong Gary from Birmingham

 

Monk 42 games , 14 wins, 11 draws, 17 losses - win ration of 33.3%, Rowett 33 games, 14 wins, 11 draws, 8 losses - win percentage of 42.4% - same numer of points but 9 less games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Andrew6666 said:

I don't understand why we aren't looking 3 or 4 managers down the line?

If we are being serious and we sack Monk (or don't renew his contract), then the new guy is probably going to fail when he cant bring his own staff in and has to work with the same old failed coach's. Not to mention the same old players that we cant get rid of or sell, hence can only bring limited cheap new ones in. So (this is where my plan kicks in) we sack new manager 1 and look for new manager 2 (probably not a household name as most managers know that the job by now is a poisoned chalice). New manager 2 arrives (now, some need to really read and possibly re-read the next underlined bit as its difficult to grasp) 'and struggles with the same problems that the previous managers have had'. Do not despair though as 'the plan' is already in motion looking for new manager 3 - in fact the process has now been quickened because we now have experience with 'the plan'. We have combined looking for new manager 3, with also looking for new manager 4. 

 

I do hope that the club have some kind of succession plan in place for when it’s time to part ways with Monk — and that we’re keeping a very close eye on how Ryan Lowe does next season in L1 — but that would assume a certain level of competence at the very top... and... well... it’s just not there is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...